Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

This is just crying wolf because people don't want a little more congestion on their streets and sidewalks.

If they can't take the congestion. Move out of that area. If not get they should use to it. They should make it 50 stories tall whether they like or not.

^ wow, what an entirely empathetic point of view...

Could we stop dragging up months-dead threads if there's no news to report? Saying nothing more than "NIMBYs suck" (something we established a long time ago) is a bit annoying.

It's been happening more and more lately and I don't know why. Every time I see one of these old threads, I get a small rush of excitement in anticipation for new announcements and then I open it and I see, "So... no one's posted since 1995, what's new?"

I think it's just some forum rookies. 'go back to the valley. rookie.'

Copley Place to grow; 47-story tower planned over Neiman Marcus

Email|Print| Text size ? +
March 20, 2008 12:25 PM

Copley Place owner Simon Property Group told Boston city officials today that it plans to expand the Neiman Marcus store and luxury shops there and build residential condominiums in a new, 47-story tower.

"The expansion of Neiman Marcus and the specialty shops will ensure the City of Boston's retail pre-eminence within the entire metropolitan region," Simon, based in Indianapolis, said in a press release.

The filing provides details of previously announced plans for Copley Place's final large structure.

The expansion will include a complete renovation of the 115,000-square-foot Neiman Marcus store and an addition of 54,000 square feet. An additional 60,000 square feet of expansion will include new retail shops and restaurant space and a "public winter garden," which will replace the existing Stuart Street plaza.

Residences will take the form of 300 luxury condominiums with 24-hour concierge service, plus a health facility, spa, and residents' library, Simon said.

The first four floors of the tower will be commercial and residential space, topped by 43 floors of residential. The 47-story tower will be slightly smaller than the 52-story Prudential Tower and the 60-story John Hancock Tower, both located nearby in the Back Bay.

Elkus|Manfredi Architects of Bostonis the design firm. The project is forecast to bring 250 new permanent jobs.

No additional parking space is to be built;
the new tower is across the street from the MBTA's Back Bay Station.

Copley Place was built in the 1980s on air space over the Massachusetts Turnpike and on a former railroad yard. According to its website, the Back Bay shopping complex houses about 75 stores, including Barneys New York, Louis Vuitton, and Burberry.

Simon Property Group bills itself as the largest public US real estate company, with regional malls, outlet centers, lifestyle centers, and international properties.

It controls 257 million square feet in all.
(By Thomas C. Palmer, Globe staff)

Nice! Looking forward to some renderings.

man i hope it gets built at 47 floors

but i doubt the article is correct about it being slightly smaller than the hancock and pru since it's a residential building ... i'd be surprised if it was much taller than 111 Huntington.

^^I thought the same thing. 50 residential stories and 50 commercial office stories are very different in height.

It's a good spot for a new tower, I can't wait to see the renderings.

This is excellent news!

man i hope it gets built at 47 floors

but i doubt the article is correct about it being slightly smaller than the hancock and pru since it's a residential building ... i'd be surprised if it was much taller than 111 Huntington.

That's what I was thinking too. It will still be very good height at 47 stories though.

This is very good news for the 11/19 floor plaza building.

How can the nimbys complain about a building soaring to 19 floors when this one is coming?

Someone should propose a 70 story building to distract the NIMBYs even further.

Oh but what about the shadows? Where will everyone park? The horrors!

Clearly the shadows will kill anything which falls under it, people will park everywhere, on the street, on the sidewalk, in front of people's homes, in people's homes...

It will be chaos. This madness must be stopped!

Looks like Elkus|Manfredi has already done some work for Neimen-Marcus.

Nice! This area is densifying nicely. By the time this goes up, the Clarendon and Cloumbus Center will be built. Now, this is Boston, so this may go from a 47 story, probably in the range of 500 feet, to a 20 story, 220 foot stub.

The villagers are sharpening their pitchforks and lighting their torches as we write.

I do like a lot Elkus Manfredi's work and happy to see them getting bigger projects in the city. Although we haven't seen a rendering, I'm sure it would beat a CBT design.

Hmm... let's try to imagine though...

268174635_hLMjn-M.jpg

Last edited:

what are the chances this gets built at 47 stories? I'd put the over/under at 40. :)

^^I'll take the under

Some speculation over height..

Say the first four floors have heights of 15 feet, and the residential component has a floor-to-floor of 11 feet. Add on another 20 or so feet for a crown and you're looking at a figure of around 550.

To put that into perspective, the two Copley Place hotel towers - the Westin and Marriot - are 395 and 382 feet, respectively. And 111 Huntington is at 554 feet.

So imagine a 550-footer in the gap to the right of the Hancock (hey we can dream a little, right?)

270264141254d485fd3ogj0.jpg

image courtesy of Flickr user pxlpusher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back