Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

^^^^
Pic looks like something built for the 21st century

Don't forget Byron "My hair sort of does look like those pictures of Frederick Douglas" Rushing. During the last big recesssion (1992) he crushed a development plan in the Charlestown Navy Yard with calls of racist suffering if a planned tourist attraction was built to house the remains of the ship the Wydah, a pirate ship, that was once a slaver.

Now Byron wants to crush another jobs adding and sensible development in the heart of the high spine, where all the density and traffic is supposed to go anyway.

What a tool.

Second that.

If I understand Marty and Byron's main point here about administrative procedure, it is that no governmental entity whatsoever should give even a preliminary yellow light to a project that has not been 110% accepted by a community's constitutents.

Which means that now it's not enough for them to kill developments - they now want to stop them from even getting proposed.

On another note, globe comments are 90% in favor. I think people "get" that this is the high spine, it's not being built on "open" space and won't block the sun out forever. My prediction is that this goes through rather quickly.

^^^^
Pic looks like something built for the 21st century

Yeah, I really like this design, it seems like something out of Coruscant, and is a fantastic addition to the Back Bay skyline. It fits nicely within the Hancock/Prudential bookends, stands out for both height and style, but does not diminish the other significant buildings. I'm very excited for this one.

copley-place__1311017604_4009.jpg

If I recall correctly, the roof height was 569' but the architectural height was more like 625'. This could end up being our city's 3rd tallest, and what a doozy it will be!

^^^
Looks like we might Mattahanizing Boston...................Sure looks like something out of NYC.

I luv it.........

That street-level rendering is HOT. Also, I love how the tower fills in that gap! I knew that it would look great!

The other big deal with this, is that it's an air rights parcel. Even though it's presently built over with a low rise, building a tower on this spot should demonstrate the way forward as we head East. Perhaps somebody will have an idea for the parcels between Clarendon and Arlington.

I'm excited about this. It looks like the city is going to remove that wide turn onto Dartmouth from Huntington. I think this will possibly calm the traffic at that intersection (a little) and make it more pedestrian friendly.

Walz and Rushing had better be careful how they speak about this project -- it sounds like "pay to build" -- and that's now a ticket to club-fed

but \NIMBY carping aside -- it looks as if it could be a nice project filling the skyline from Cambridge and also deBunkering the Copley Place

I just came back from Vancouver, a city that is littered with modern, residential towers. That city is very nice looking and it's sad that Boston cannot be more like it.

I have little faith this thing gets built, or if it does, it will be chopped down to 100 feet.

If only we can get a spokesman for the newspaper. Unfortunately the mayor and the BRA only see comments taken from activists which are a SMALL minority. It used to be that the comment section of Boston.com will be a 50/50 split on support and against but now the atmosphere has changed and nearly all of them are throwing their lot on this proposal. The majority wants it but the minority have the loudspeaker.

I think that Simon has some pull -- these folks are not Vornado

Menino wants a signature skyline tower to point to as Boston is growing again

Between the two -- I'm betting that steel rises at Copley before it rises anywhere else for a proposed project except for Hayward Place

I just came back from Vancouver, a city that is littered with modern, residential towers. That city is very nice looking and it's sad that Boston cannot be more like it.

Just finished your 60 day sentence for looting and anarchy, did you?

The rendering does look nice on the skyline! The street level is better than what we have now, but the emotion of the overall tower shape did not make its way to the base. More excitement, please, for what could be a dramatic corner!

The comments section on boston.com is shockingly supportive (aside from the usual troll(s)). Have we entered Bizarro Boston?

Everything enters a bizzaro phase if you wait long enough - think Rome after a few hundred years then along comes Caligula and Nero

Neimanmarcuswatch and Stevil (from the Boston Globe comments) seem to be the same person since both use the exact same arguments against building this building! Surprisingly, he's raked over the coals by other posters on the Globe. He also posts against building the Congress St. garage project using the same arguments....overbuild condo's in the city affect property values, property taxes, etc.

I can't recall the last time I have seen so much vocal (albeit online) support for a development in Boston.

I can't recall the last time I have seen so much vocal (albeit online) support for a development in Boston.

Might have something to do with a lack of much work for the Building Trades especially the iron workers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back