Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

One small bitching moment: I can't believe the NIMBYs were actually asking/preparing to complain about whether the affordable units would all be on lower floors.

Me too! I was sitting there like uh, duh. I face-palmed at that. Honestly, I would rather have SIMON keep this entire tower market rate and then build truly affordable units in Roxbury or something.

Thanks DD very much!

I can't believe that this tower came back looking better even. This is not just a great development for Boston, every city wishes they could get this one. The shape is perfect and contextual to every building surrounding it. As I said in earlier posts, this building could solely make the Back Bay alone one of the greatest skylines in the world. I stand by that.

Looks great. Hopefully no more delays from here on out.

That winter garden is an architect's wet dream. Perfectly clear spider glass, wacky structure, organic design, ceiling treatment...

Let's not forget who the architect is: Elkus-Manfredi. They get a lot of flack on here but they can design at the top level of starchitects too.

I wonder what the timeline will be, since they're giving themselves 4 years.

Really great update, DD! The renderings look fantastic. This building makes the Westin look so frumpy (not that it takes much).

Someone on this board living in Boston should buy you a beer.

....As I said in earlier posts, this building could solely make the Back Bay alone one of the greatest skylines in the world. I stand by that.

Can you say, "overstatement?" Well, at least it's better than NYC's. However, I will say that NYC has impressive mountains of garbage bags lining their streets that Boston in no way shape or form can match!

Reading through DD's account description its interesting that there's not a lot of opposition. * waiting for other shoe to drop* ..... probably at that southwest corridor meeting

Reading through DD's account description its interesting that there's not a lot of opposition. * waiting for other shoe to drop* ..... probably at that southwest corridor meeting

They've allegedly made incredible progress there too. The CAC panel and public alike were very thrilled with how much Elkus actually listened and responded to their comments this time, especially the ADA access to the atrium (which required a total redesign). I suspect that the next meeting will have the same level of care shown for their previous concerns regarding the Corridor improvements. SIMON and Elkus are really serious about this. They want to get this thing built and are making some amazing changes that everyone benefits from.

Damn, I LOVE the glass curtain walls!!! Beautiful on the outside, absolutely stunning looking out from the inside!!! Walking into a highrise residence for the first time that has glass curtain walls almost always takes your breath away! Why the Seaport residences aren't glass skinned with such views is a mystery to me!!
Data, thanks for your reporting, insights, and photos!

Not to pour cold water on all this happiness, but the Globe has a story on this as well:
http://www.boston.com/businessupdates/2013/06/19/copley/FWIWKS3BfuAQpBMUnDJm6J/story.html
and there's this:
"Simon hopes to start construction by spring 2015, but the timing is dependent on getting final approvals from city and state regulators. The company is seeking to build its tower on state-owned air rights over the Massachusetts Turnpike, and still needs to get final design and engineering sign-offs."

This one is going to rest on the quality of those glass panels. If they invest in good-looking glass, it will make all the difference; if not, for all the great contours and interiors, it will look cheap.

If done right, this could look a bit like the Trump Chicago tower, which is a fine-looking building.

Why the Seaport residences aren't glass skinned with such views is a mystery to me!!

They don't care.

I don't see any sense of pride in those buildings, just a sense that something had to be built.

They've allegedly made incredible progress there too. The CAC panel and public alike were very thrilled with how much Elkus actually listened and responded to their comments this time, especially the ADA access to the atrium (which required a total redesign). I suspect that the next meeting will have the same level of care shown for their previous concerns regarding the Corridor improvements. SIMON and Elkus are really serious about this. They want to get this thing built and are making some amazing changes that everyone benefits from.

Walking around Elkus' office, I'd have to say they are serious about it.
The model dominates an entire area, and multiple walls are plastered with high res. renderings that are huge. (At least it gave me that feeling).

Maybe it's just to keep the interns interested though.....

Didn't they already get those approvals the first time around?

I thought they got BRA approval. Don't think they ever got one from the state.
They must know it's not easy if their best case scenario for start of construction is 18 month away... Why such delay otherwise?

The DPIR was approved. Not sure if they have to approve the PNF* now because of the PDA change.

*Due mid-July

I just realized now that they are hoping to start by spring 2015, not 2014. Now I'm pissed.

I just realized now that they are hoping to start by spring 2015, not 2014. Now I'm pissed.

They hope to start construction by then, which means expect late 2015 at the earliest. I also was excited until I saw that. Hopefully it was a mistake by the Globe.

The person from the Globe (he ID'ed himself at the beginning) must have spoken to them after the meeting and got that info because I don't recall a date getting mentioned at all. It was first brought up during the presentation by a CAC member and the question was snubbed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back