Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

1,254sf is quite far from "micro unit"

Correct. But it is alot closer to a 700 sf micro unit than to the original 2,106sf avg in this building.

Obviously, this is a building not doing micro units - -it's in too toney of a neighborhood. However, as mentioned, the developers have obviously seen the TREND towards smaller living spaces for more affordability.

1,254sf is quite far from "micro unit"

Yeah, that's still big enough for a 2 bedroom. Maybe not an insanely spacious one, but I think it could still fit 2 beds no problem.

Also, that's the average. You certainly don't need 2000+ square feet for a very nice, large on bed, so I really dob't think these count as micro by any stretch.

Yeah, that's still big enough for a 2 bedroom. Maybe not an insanely spacious one, but I think it could still fit 2 beds no problem.

Also, that's the average. You certainly don't need 2000+ square feet for a very nice, large on bed, so I really dob't think these count as micro by any stretch.

Once again, I never wrote that this building is a micro unit building.

Just that the trend and popularity towards micro units has probably affected the thinking of the developers.

Let's not sidetrack this thread into a debate over "What is a micro unit".

Anyone with a calculator can understand that the developers just reduced the average sf of this building's units by over 40% while increasing the number of units by over 70%. That is no tweak. That is a huge change.

2,100sf is ridiculously huge. That is larger than the median single-family detached house. Maybe they finally figured out that only insanely-bonkers rich people would pay for that (I guess the kind of people that drop half-mil on a tandem parking space...). Instead, I suppose they're now looking to attract "comfortably rich" people instead. At least, there's more of them around.

700sf is a perfectly comfortable 1BR. 1200sf is easily a 3BR. I guess since this is "luxury" it would be 2BR. 2100 is super-luxe.

My house is 890sf 2 bedroom. I'm pretty sure 1200+ can fit 2 br easy.

700sf is a perfectly comfortable 1BR. 1200sf is easily a 3BR.

First sentence is probably pretty accurate, small but doable. However, 3 bedrooms in a 1200sf space isn't gonna work unless one of the bedrooms is the size of a closet! I lived in a 2 bed/2.5bath 1200sf townhouse when I taught school down in Florida...I can't imagine throwing a 3rd bedroom into the mix. Our condo here in Atlanta in a midtown high rise was 2/2 1500 sf...very good size, very comfortable! A 1200 sf 2/2 would be also be very comfortable. But a 3/2, in 1200sf...you'd essentially have 2 bed with small office. But I guess that's very doable for a couple with one child!

Last edited:

I've lived in under 700sf for most of the last 13 years. It's probably not so great for entertaining folks, but for one person it's easily more than enough. I wouldn't know what to do with more, much less have to work at keeping it clean.

Figure 700sf for kitchen, 1BR, bathroom, social room and closets. Then add 150sf per BR and you're at 1000sf for a 3BR. That's probably really tight, plus you need corridor space, but within the other 200sf you can fit that, or shift it to slightly larger rooms, or a larger social space.

I don't think 1200sf is unreasonable at all for 3BR. Yes, it's a bit tight, and good layout can make or break it, but it's definitely possible. Perhaps not "luxury" though.

OK, folks, very interesting indeed.

Now, back to THIS building.

The changes are major. Average unit size decreased by over 40% and the number of units has increased by over 70%.

This changes the character of the building and the neighborhood - - more residents, more residents who rent and actually LIVE in the building versus those that are jet-setting absentee owners of huge condos. This has ancillary affects on the Copley neighborhood and Back Bay and its restaurants/bars/businesses. I see these effects as positive. More people, more life.

Last edited:

I breezed through the attached document, but do the proposed changes mean they have to re-do the wind/shadow, etc. assessments and does this change their desired construction schedule?

I breezed through the attached document, but do the proposed changes mean they have to re-do the wind/shadow, etc. assessments and does this change their desired construction schedule?

They have already been redone. The shadow was slightly reduced because they slimmed the tower down slightly.

OK, folks, very interesting indeed.

Now, back to THIS building.

The changes are major. Average unit size decreased by over 40% and the number of units has increased by over 70%.

This changes the character of the building and the neighborhood - - more residents, more residents who rent and actually LIVE in the building versus those that are jet-setting absentee owners of huge condos. This has ancillary affects on the Copley neighborhood and Back Bay and its restaurants/bars/businesses. I see these effects as positive. More people, more life.

I agree 100%. Very excited to see even more density here. Absolutely one of the spots in the city that can handle it.

Who the fuck wants any less than 4,000sqft?

Probably nothing, but could this be related to the new tower? Took this last week - in front of Neiman Marcus.

Click on the article through curbed...you'll get right in

I thought the revised changes including the new number of units was already approved. Nonetheless, good news!

So hypothetically if the developer had the financing all set and had construction vehicles ready to go, could they start tomorrow if this gets approved tonight? Or are there more regulatory hoops to jump through after BRA approval?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back