Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

they'd need to pull all the appropriate permits

Thought this wasn't supposed to start till '15 ?

Eeeeeeexcellent.

ns35.jpg

Timeline?

It's in design at the moment so full permits won't be pulled, but I'm sure they could start with demo permits, underground early releases for foundation permits etc.

I like it! The varied facade depths and textures on the street-level are brilliant.

The lack of the usual vinyl siding type look comes a welcome relief.

multiple entrances and storefronts. Finally the mall begins to engage the street 40 years after its initial build. Good to see and hopefully the tower looks as good in reality as it does in renderings.

boooooooooo needs more green space and less shadows and be composed of 100% affordable units boooooooooooo

multiple entrances and storefronts. Finally the mall begins to engage the street 40 years after its initial build. Good to see and hopefully the tower looks as good in reality as it does in renderings.

It would improve the area so much if the whole mall had multiple store entrances like that.

Great reskinning of the disaster that's there now. Opening up the wall of Neiman Marcus on the second floor and adding places with food will really help to enliven that plaza.

What is that space currently used for? Streetview shows unused storefronts, so I guess they are just going to actively attempt to market them now?

Looks to me like its the classic render of this tower but with the new blue glass/height change/tower rotated a few degrees to reduce shadows.

20Copley_1.jpg

The only thing I don't like about the plan is that they upgrade the edge of Stuart St with new plantings and trees but they still don't add a sidewalk and make no provision for either fixing the bicycle-eating expansion joints or putting in any kind of bike facility. Looks like the fence is going away, which means even more pedestrians will just trample over their nice new plantings. Instead of banning them, why not accommodate them properly? (I know this would require a crossing of the Mass Pike ramp, but that should definitely be possible. We do it in many other places around the city.)

I like it a lot, but where are all the mall employees going to smoke butts now?

I am not trying to be too picky, but a facade-ectomy of the mid-rise offices would be nice.

Huh --- a facade-ectomy preserves the facades --- what you meant to say [I would hope] is a reclad or something using the existing structure and replacing the outside

Huh --- a facade-ectomy preserves the facades --- what you meant to say [I would hope] is a reclad or something using the existing structure and replacing the outside

If you want to pick some nits the technical term for demolishing a building but preserving the facade is facadism. But you are correct, changing that 80s office block would be a reskinning or recladding.

If you want to pick some nits the technical term for demolishing a building but preserving the facade is facadism. But you are correct, changing that 80s office block would be a reskinning or recladding.

Davem ... That's one of the few places in "olde Bostone" where you can kinda go "hog wild" the Copley Place complex is massive enough and the streets isolating it from the BPL and Fairmont Copley Plaza are wide enough

I'd get rid of all the 80's exterior and do a complete glass curtain wall on almost all of Copley Place

Sorry, spaced out there. I meant a re-cladding, and not just slapping glass over the existing walls, but replace with a new exterior more aligned with the new development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back