Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG. I am assuming the sunshine coming off that building is going to be blinding like the office building in Waltham along Route 128 by the Cambridge Reservoir.

A few buildings come to mind when I look at that.
1) The building located at the corner of Avery +Washington Street downtown. It holds the Lowes movie theater.
2) The Boston InterContinental Hotel located along Atlantic Ave.
3) Building located long Kinston Ave near the new State St. Bank building.

Last edited:
Glad this seems to finally be moving forward. This has been the project I've wanted the most for a long time now.

DraxVR3.jpg

Made another one because I just like seeing what we are in for in the near future.

Last edited:
JSic -- The Pru project began in the 1950's it is really dated

Well, I know that, but when the tower stood essentially by itself its age was less noticeable. These new towers bring it out. Not saying its a bad thing, just obvious.

Made another one because I just like seeing what we are in for in the near future.

Even with all of this going up, hoping for something big on Parcel 14-15/Berklee. It's one of the last spots to help break that Copley-Avalon-Sheraton-Hilton monotony looking east to west along the river.

Well, I know that, but when the tower stood essentially by itself its age was less noticeable. These new towers bring it out. Not saying its a bad thing, just obvious.

Hopefully the upstaging inspires a good pressure washing for the Pru. I think a little shine would go a long way to lighten the bloatedness of the building next to its gleaming, svelte new neighbors.

I like it. Contrast is good. Many cities are booming now and building glass towers that look, to the casual observer, a lot like Millenium, Copley and Four Seasons. Having a "dated" Prudential sticking up among the new glass towers provides a juxtaposition that a lot of other cities don't have.

Contrast is good.

Absolutely! Taken as a set, the Pru and the Hancock represent key moments in the history of the glass curtain-wall skyscraper. Both will benefit from a few new neighbors.

The Pru could use a bit of polish. Its proportions are better than much of what gets built these days. "Refreshing" the metal gridwork and spandrels would do wonders.

^ I agree Beton, the Pru needs a sprucing up.... If you look from side angles you can see some really dirty/damaged metal in some places, maybe from fires or something over the years. At least that's what it looks like

^ I agree Beton, the Pru needs a sprucing up.... If you look from side angles you can see some really dirty/damaged metal in some places, maybe from fires or something over the years. At least that's what it looks like

It looks familiar and iconic from afar, but disgusting up close. A real shame.

I've always liked the pru because its Boston. Not as big as others, not as fancy, looks old and dirty, but once you get up close to it you see an amazing amount of detail that you did not expect.

JSic -- The Pru project began in the 1950's it is really dated

^Off thread, but interesting anyway: 1.The Pru looks dated now, but upon it's completion in 1964 it was the tallest building in the world--outside of NYC! (Must've been quite the source of Pride for that generation of Bostonians)
2. The 749' tall Pru is dated, but is still the tallest structure in Boston by far when the antenna mast is included. (907' tall).......per Wikipedia

^Off thread, but interesting anyway: 1.The Pru looks dated now, but upon it's completion in 1964 it was the tallest building in the world--outside of NYC! (Must've been quite the source of Pride for that generation of Bostonians)
2. The 749' tall Pru is dated, but is still the tallest structure in Boston by far when the antenna mast is included. (907' tall).......per Wikipedia

Actually, the Moscow State University building was officially taller, just not to the roof.

Also, how tall are the antenna on top of the Hancock? The tallest ones must be pushing at least 850'.

So true of that era lapradetom, love seeing old pics of the many spectators watching the Pru rise! What seems dated,our tallest has been the same structure for over 40 yrs.? We need a new source of civic pride reaching ever higher!

^they may or may not be doing a good job, but is the BRA actually necessary or even beneficial? It was created to serve a purpose that is now rendered obsolete. Other cities get on fine without RA's; why does Boston need one? I'm very unhappy about them hiring a consultant to rebrand them - essentially just spending money to hire a firm to find ways to justify their existence... Their website alone is clearly very well designed and I am suspicious as how much money goes towards even just that. As numerous editorials have pointed out, Boston needs to aggressively rewrite the zoning code which strangles development and forces endless community discussion at every turn - fix this and the take another look at proving we actually need an independent body like this BRA. Why can't the city simply have a development division that performs the same function?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back