Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talked to a guy who is in the know about the construction currently taking place to rework the "Back Bay Station entrance". He said 18 months, and only then would they close the Stuart St. entrance. I think it's safe to assume that during those 18 months, extensive reworkings of below grade mechanicals/stucturals will be done, but at the same time, his estimation puts completion of this tower at late 2020 at the earliest.

I'm not sure if the back bay station tunnel and the street level entrance to Copley Place are on the same timeline. I work at the existing Copley Place office towers and we were told that the street level entrance would be open by sept/oct.

I can't be sure, it's just some dude I talked to, but looking at that entrance today, October is ridiculous. In preparations for the tower, they are totally re-clading the entire Dartmouth St. side of the building. The plans have ground floor retail, and the doubling of sq. footage of Neiman Marcus. 18 months.

I found it on skyscrapercity!

vuk7.png

Hey you found my render! So what happened was archBoston was down for an afternoon in 2014 and we all commiserated over on the Facebook page, and I made that for the group's cover photo while we had nothing else to do or look at. And strangely enough, I don't think it ever got shared on archBoston proper (which makes no sense). Glad you found it!

It's cool that the Back Bay Garage project will perfectly fill the gap in that picture between the Westin and the Hancock...

The tower is on the corner of Dartmouth and Huntington on the other side this is the retail expansion/ recladding portion of the project they are working on now which is prep for the tower itself I believe.

The tower is on the corner of Dartmouth and Huntington on the other side this is the retail expansion/ recladding portion of the project they are working on now which is prep for the tower itself I believe.

*Stuart* and Dartmouth.... Westin is at the aforementioned corner above.

Oops I had a feeling that was wrong.

Also odurandino this will be going up it will just take a bit this is incredibly complex because of how little solid land this will have under it.

Holy Shit.

So it's gonna be pushing toward the core like the Citycorp Tower, NY.

Awesome.

Think more Eiffel Tower with giant diagonal beams transferring the loads from the central portion of the building to the edges that are on solid ground. That is what the giant beams visible in the renderings are doing and the core on this will probably not really exist as in there won't be a concrete core if I remember correctly it will use a similar system as the Avalon North Station building.

Think more Eiffel Tower with giant diagonal beams transferring the loads from the central portion of the building to the edges that are on solid ground. That is what the giant beams visible in the renderings are doing and the core on this will probably not really exist as in there won't be a concrete core if I remember correctly it will use a similar system as the Avalon North Station building.

I still do not understand why they chose to locate the tower at the Stuart Street corner, rather than the corner with the Southwest Corridor. There is actually land under the Southwest corridor corner, rather than the expanse of the Mass Pike they have to bridge on the Stuart Street corner.

I am certain they had good architectural reasons, but it seems like a really costly decision.

They probably did it partially to avoid NIMBYs by staying further away from the South End.

For structural/siting reference:

ngwAZsg.png

R0SZWIG.png

Also, some reference for what's happening right now to the Southwest Corridor facade & entrance:

L2XC2WV.png

47VipvGh.png

bkZiLQ0h.png

X61uvpTh.png

wYJcYozh.png

8rcil3ph.png

Bshb4tDh.png

bJF0Cu9h.png

8fYQpRoh.png

fCtzPYKh.png

Not a fan of that plaza redesign. It complete ignores the fact that this is where the SW Corridor Bike Path ends at Dartmouth St.

Not a fan of that plaza redesign. It complete ignores the fact that this is where the SW Corridor Bike Path ends at Dartmouth St.

I tend to exit the SW Corridor bike path around Northeastern, because I find the stretch from Mass. Ave. into Dartmouth is just too pedestrian intensive for comfort. And you lose the bike/pedestrian path segregation (which I know people ignore, but it is there westward from NEU).

I tend to exit the SW Corridor bike path around Northeastern, because I find the stretch from Mass. Ave. into Dartmouth is just too pedestrian intensive for comfort. And you lose the bike/pedestrian path segregation (which I know people ignore, but it is there westward from NEU).

Agreed. The stairs & ramps really hinder smooth bike flow.

Same here. In practice, the bike path doesn't exist between Ruggles and Dartmouth Street (for cyclists). Most people take Columbus for that stretch. The corresponding segment is a bike path in name only.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back