Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

Seriously, they're trying to get Occupiers to come help them.

My biggest issue is that the developer is doing nothing wrong. They are operating within the bounds set by the City. So why doesn't this group take the fight to City Hall? That's the root of their issue, that the affordable housing requirements are too easy to get around.

I'm not saying I agree with them or would support that effort, just that it seems like they are fighting the wrong battle.

Also, I take the Red Line back and forth the Charles at least twice a day, and each time on the way back into Boston, I get excited about seeing this tower be a part of the skyline. They cannot get this thing done fast enough.

That letter was just beyond absurd. I don't even know how to respond to it.

However I will say I think it's funny when a bunch of South Enders are whining about "the affluent pursuing their interests"....if you're living in the South End, especially within walking distance of this project, odds are your house/condo is well into seven figures.

It's funny when they bitch about the lack of affordable housing, but then talk about how horrible it is that a Dunkin Donuts was built in the neighborhood under the weak veil of "Evil Corporations". If Dunky's had put up a classy sign saying "DunKafé", had an exposed brick wall, and charged triple for their coffee, it would be hailed as the hottest new café in town.

The motto of these wealthy NIMBY groups in Back Bay, the South End, and Beacon Hill should be "Fuck Progression, I got Mine"

Also, I take the Red Line back and forth the Charles at least twice a day, and each time on the way back into Boston, I get excited about seeing this tower be a part of the skyline. They cannot get this thing done fast enough.
^ I could'nt agree more,I cant wait to see all the new building's going up in the Back Bay on my twice daily ride on the T:) this morning>

002-22.jpg
003-26.jpg
an other area's during my work travel's>
028-22.jpg

Look at that. Perfect (okay, well, terrible really) hole in the skyline just waiting for this project.

Anyone know the current stats and status of this project? I checked back a few pages but couldn't find anything. I've been out of the loop lately.

It is approved by the BRA. Now the zoning board has a vote this week I think, to accept the BRA's approval on the height or not.

It is approved by the BRA. Now the zoning board has a vote this week I think, to accept the BRA's approval on the height or not.

I think according to their official timetable {part of the official record for the project} that it is expected to be '"Shovel ready" -- next September

Unless the Occupypers setle in on the floor of NM

I think according to their official timetable {part of the official record for the project} that it is expected to be '"Shovel ready" -- next September

Unless the Occupypers setle in on the floor of NM

In which case Menino may make it shovel-ready earlier...

Tue shadow arguments have made it to a national publication:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/po...-preservation-should-trump-local-control/691/

Boston markets itself as a “walking city,” but visitors shouldn’t expect to walk in the sun, a diminishing resource downtown and in Back Bay. Boston is no longer a low-rise city, and its high rise skyline comes at a cost.

“Downtown spaces are not just for buildings; they’re for buildings and people,” Massachusetts State Representative Byron Rushing stresses. Rushing, who lives in Boston, (as I do) is a co-sponsor of the “shadow bill," aimed at limiting new high-rises that would cast additional shadows on remaining open spaces. It was inspired partly by a Simon Property Group proposal for a residential tower atop the Neiman Marcus at Copley Place, a Simon Property mall near Copley Plaza, the landmark Boston Public Library, and Commonwealth Avenue boulevard. The shadow bill is an amendment to laws enacted in the early 1990s to preserve sunlight in the Boston Common and Public Garden.

The author says she lives in Boston, but certain linguistic cues makes me think she hasn't been here for long. Anyway, me and the other commenters have lent quite a bit of criticism to the anti-shadow idea.

It's really disappointing to see this sort of NIMBY nonsense being trotted out in the Atlantic's Cities section. That the author is getting handed a new one in the comments is encouraging, though.

Referring to Commonwealth Avenue as a "boulevard" rather than a "mall" is a giveaway that the person is or hasn't been local in quite awhile.

The comments are unanimously much more sensible than the drivel this author spewed forth. I guess "The Atlantic Cities" must be hurting for good content?

That board wreaks of competence.

She went to BU Law. She seems to live in Boston, at least some of the year.

Wendy Kaminer has been around here quite a while. I believe she lives in Cambridge.

Calling Comm. Ave. a 'boulevard' is a concession to the nationwide readership, most of whom would be confused by calling it a 'mall'.

Cambridge is another planet than Boston and residency there should not be considered any credential for commentary on "the other side of the river".

I'll disagree, unless you want me to stop writing here about anything on the Boston side of the Charles.

Has Cambridge surpassed Boston in Real Estate value at this point?

I'm with Ron, her disqualification doesn't come from her Cambridge status. It comes from her being wrong and simplistic.

I won't excuse her use of the term boulevard. Readers of Atlantic Cities should understand what a mall is. But the real transgression is her endorsement of the legislative end run around home rule. If she were a real Bostonian, she'd understand the history behind such moves and why they shouldn't be viewed through a favorable lens, regardless of result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back