Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Copley Place plan calls for condo tower

Sure. Many Bostonians wake up, get dressed for work, and get coffee. They go to Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, etc. The reason these stores are so ubiquitous is that we, as consumers, spend our money there and make each store profitable. If we chose to seek out smaller independent stores for coffee, we would have more retail diversity. Ideally the product at these local independents would be of greater quality than a mass-produced chain, especially D&D which seems to be the bottom of the barrel. More money would stay local. Etc, etc, etc.

Yeah, that's called free market capitalism. Econ 101. .

Free market Capitalism does not exist in this country. That is my point.

Between Tax breaks or stimilus money for certain projects but not others especially for the Fan Pier project, and Corporate powerhouse Liberty Mutual building. How can the Mom & Pop stores or anybody with a good idea have a chance to compete with all this corporate welfare going around ?

The City is making developments so expensive that the developers have no choice to attract Class A Retail Corporations. Why would the Landlords want to even take a shot on something unique. The city is creating a minimum price point for developers and that price point does not include the average dreamer with a little savings. Its just for basic corporate retail America model.

Last edited:

Sure. Many Bostonians wake up, get dressed for work, and get coffee. They go to Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, etc. The reason these stores are so ubiquitous is that we, as consumers, spend our money there and make each store profitable. If we chose to seek out smaller independent stores for coffee, we would have more retail diversity. Ideally the product at these local independents would be of greater quality than a mass-produced chain, especially D&D which seems to be the bottom of the barrel. More money would stay local. Etc, etc, etc.

I have three coworkers who walk to the DD's across the street for coffee everyday at 2 p.m. Can I assume them to be "white trash," including the one who is Hispanic?

I have three coworkers who walk to the DD's across the street for coffee everyday at 2 p.m. Can I assume them to be "white trash," including the one who is Hispanic?

Probably not if he's Dominican. Maybe if he's Cuban. Definitely if we're talking Argentina.

Probably not if he's Dominican. Maybe if he's Cuban. Definitely if we're talking Argentina.

Thank you AFL! The one thing I love about archboston is it always keeps me from making social miscues lol

For the record, I generally think people as consumers are entitled to drink whatever coffee they like without finding themselves in one of society's lower castes.

And for the record, I do occassionally enjoy a Dunk's breakfast sandwich. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go chock the wheels on my home before it rolls away. :rolleyes:

Thank you AFL! The one thing I love about archboston is it always keeps me from making social miscues lol

No worries. Happy to help. The tough part will be figuring out his ethnicity. I recommend making some obscure references to Eva Peron and see how he reacts.

Damn, every time this thread comes up, I hope to see news on the tower - maybe even that it's back on track and construction will be starting. Instead, I just found out that I'm white trash.

Damn, every time this thread comes up, I hope to see news on the tower - maybe even that it's back on track and construction will be starting. Instead, I just found out that I'm white trash.

Post of the year. +1

So did anyone show up at the NIMBY-fest today?

Unfortunately, no. Work ended up being too busy. Ironically, this was probably not an issue for all the NIMBYs there today.

Thank you, sir. My thoughts exactly.

Honestly, I think Simon missed there opportunity with this one and I just don't see it getting built; pessimistic, but nothing that has come out about this project has sounded optimistic and we're nearing the middle of 2013 with pretty much no news when they said an update was pending in early-Spring.

@Meddlepal - what you are saying was said about Filene's / DTX. Simon is not some fly by night operation. They may be trying to strategize based on all the other developments going up right now.

There is an article in this week's Courant saying that this tower is back on. BRA is hosting a meeting June 19, 8am at Copley Place.

There is an article in this week's Courant saying that this tower is back on. BRA is hosting a meeting June 19, 8am at Copley Place.

Wahoo! Thanks for sharing the news!

This summer is shaping up to be great! Copley Place, CSC, Gov't Center Garage, Filene's...

Fingers crossed for the same or a taller proposal and not a decrease.

Copley Place Expansion Project CAC Meeting #20
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
8:00 am - 10:00 am

Division-Department: Planning and Zoning - BRA
Description: Copley Place Retail Expansion and Residential Addition Project - CAC Meeting #20
Neighborhood: Citywide
Email: Lauren.Shurtleff.BRA@cityofboston.gov

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/calendar/scheduledet.asp?EventID=3431

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back