Crazy Transit Pitches

I'm sorry, but do you think that 2nd CA/T tunnel builds itself? 1 tunnel would assumedly cost about half of what two tunnels would. The harbor might be mud, it might be granite. We won't know without data. To assume that the cost of the harbor tunnel would be any more than under the CA is just speculation. And how much less do you think another Ted bore would be? One end of the tunnel(at SSU) would be 100ft down already. So the only savings would be on the Logan end. And if I was going to spend that kind of cash, I would make it at light rail and integrate the whole schmeer into GL. But hey, that just me.
So, I'm curious to see a cost comparison between a 2 track CA/T, a Ted bore AND BLX and my proposal. My guess would $2B

So, I'm curious to see a cost comparison between a 2 track CA/T, a Ted bore AND BLX and my proposal. My guess would $2B

A zero-sum question literally no one has ever asked before because the projects in question are head-to-toe about as relevant to each other in real Civil Engineering benchmarking/scoring practice as "Does a woman need a man more than a fish needs a bicycle?"

We're running in total circles here attempting to respond to this whole-cloth arbitrary train of thought. Moor it in some real data cite that these projects are contradictory when broad-based study + demand/demographic consensus says they're either directly intertwined and complementary or at worst distantly related in purpose and priority. That's non-optional prerequisite before diving into the weeds assuming as ironclad prereq that those 3 are locked in winner-take-all mortal combat. Much less fighting each other to the death within a spatial quarter-century of each other in 4th-dimension timeline.

I'm sorry, but do you think that 2nd CA/T tunnel builds itself? 1 tunnel would assumedly cost about half of what two tunnels would. The harbor might be mud, it might be granite. We won't know without data. To assume that the cost of the harbor tunnel would be any more than under the CA is just speculation. And how much less do you think another Ted bore would be? One end of the tunnel(at SSU) would be 100ft down already. So the only savings would be on the Logan end. And if I was going to spend that kind of cash, I would make it at light rail and integrate the whole schmeer into GL. But hey, that just me.

Obviously the second CA/T tunnel doesn't just spring into existence, but again, it's following a path which is known, where the obstacles (or lack thereof) are known. It's safe to say that the Harbor isn't going to have the sort of ideal man-made conditions of the man-made space under the Central Artery. Operating under the assumption of "well it might not be that bad" is a terrible way to approach a multi-billion dollar project. I've updated my post to clarify my estimated cost of your cross-harbor tunneling (and ONLY tunneling), which I peg at roughly $7B or so (factoring in the Eastie end, which I hadn't done previously). That would put your tunneling budget alone about $1B above that of the 4-track CA/T alignment, assuming you are doing cross-harbor + 2-track CA/T. To say nothing of the subterranean Airport Station we're building.

We don't have to play dumb about the costs of sticking with the already existing Alts, though. The state has put the information out there. (Check out pages 63 and 64). The only question mark is how much more your cross-harbor bore would be compared to doing the 4-track CA/T alignment. It's not perfectly apples-to-apples because they assumed 3 stations on the 4-track CA/T alignment, while you're pretty clearly assuming only the two. That would make 4-track CA/T a little cheaper than found in the docs, by how much I'm not exactly sure. But the 2-track CA/T cost estimates are cleanly stated there.

For the Ted bore, no one is tunneling all the way to SSU. Why would you do that when you have a perfectly good transitway already being used by the Silver Line? What you do is extend the Transitway to duck under D St, and then ramp down into the third Ted bore from there. Use the Silver Line as currently exists, but free it from the Seaport traffic and looping that makes people dislike it. Original budget on the Ted was $1.3B, but we need to make some touches beyond the bore itself, and also inflation, so let's call it $950M for the third bore. BLX should be in the neighborhood of $900M-$1B. Bringing the total price tag for 2-track CA/T, BLX, and third Ted to the neighborhood of $10B.

Meanwhile, the cost for your idea, in the rosiest case scenario, is the $17B price tag of the 4-track CA/T alignment. So, assuming I've parsed your request correctly, your NSEWRL would cost at least $7B more than a 2-track CA/T, a Ted bore, and BLX. If you were asking in the way that F-Line understood it, wanting to pit everything against each other, knock yourself out but it doesn't make sense to do that sort of comparison.

BLX is not in competition with a third Ted bore. BLX should not be considered in competition with existing NSRL Alts. BLX gives the North Shore better local connections, as well as better access to Boston. NSRL stitches the entire metro area together more closely, by unifying the northside and southside networks. A third Ted bore improves Logan's link to the rest of the network, and achieves the original aim of the project. None of this stuff is mutually exclusive, and I can't for the life of me understand why you would get that impression from my posts.

It just seems pretty obvious to me that the best (crazy) way to get better transit access to the airport, and both better local connectivity and downtown access for the North Shore is to
  1. BLX to Lynn
  2. RUR to Salem/Peabody
  3. NSRL as designed under the CA/T
  4. GLX to the Transitway
  5. Ted Williams-adjacent transit tunnel to Eastie with Logan access
Not only does that accomplish the states goals very well, it also does a lot more than that.

It just seems pretty obvious to me that the best (crazy) way to get better transit access to the airport, and both better local connectivity and downtown access for the North Shore is to

[snip]...[/snip]

Not only does that accomplish the states goals very well, it also does a lot more than that.

Slightly different (and resequenceable @ top) pecking order...same basic idea:

1. Urban Ring LRT NE quadrant (and filet patterns therein)
1a. Logan Transitway for SL1 + UR-NE + Logan Express/etc.
2. RUR meets BLX
3. GLX to Transitway unshackling SL1 from intra-Seaport
4. NSRL CA/T 4-track
<< OTHER VERILY IMPORTANT NON-AIRPORT TRANSPO >>
5. "Son of Ted" RT bore

Again...if any of these are locked in mortal winner-take-all competition with each other in same frame of spacetime: [¡CITATION NEEDED!]. By any understanding chunked up from real demand data, all of these are in some way complementary not contradictory. And even the ones buried under some [YMMV] mountain of other priorities, like Ted3, are very much related even when separated by multiple decades from the others in critical-mass triggers. The funding cup for watering the bucket list is refillable over longer timescales, no?

So, actually, a harbor RR tunnel WAS studied in 1994 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SfOmrQ-DMgM94NRvv3MtVTR0mV5vHOX2/view?usp=drivesdk

I do not just conjure these things up. Again, I ,and others I collaborate with, do research.
We analyze population data. We analyze traffic patterns. We analyze job density data.

Back to the study. They were assuming sunk tubes, ala Ted, at $420M. The route they were suggesting at the time was about 2x the straight shot to Eastie.
The distance from the present Transitway to the shore of Logan is 1.2 miles. Assume 1000ft of incline to get you above ground.
The distance from SSU to Airport Station is 1.7, so yes, .3 mile longer. However, even with a transfer at Airport, for many, one less transfer.
I never meant to imply that BLX and a Ted bore were in competition. I didnt start the cost comparision. Also, the Logan study provides a potential rough cost of a Ted tunnel by tubes.

Lastly, I think that anyone who believes one piece of predictive data that the MBTA puts forth probably believes in Santa. Their continued efforts to sandbag are legendary. The E/W Passenger Rail Study is just the latest.
The Harvard study is a more reliable one, in my opinion.
So, the question becomes tubes or TBM? So, where do you balance cost inflation vs the 50% smaller scope? If one wipes out the other, $420M. If inflation is 50% more, then $630M. Combine that with either one large or two 20ft bores the .6 miles to Airport.
Or, if it can be done cheaper, TBM under the harbor.
There is no data that I've seen, either here or elsewhere, that predicts higher costs for a harbor 2nd tunnel. The closest is comparing the Congress vs CA/T 2 track alignment costs. But even that is not apples to apples.

Yo I'm just gonna say this -- Regional Rail to Lynn vs BLX is, you know, one topic (well worth discussing). Building a cross-harbor tunnel is totally and completely different.

We've already established that the travel time difference between a Chelsea surface and an Eastie tunnel alignment is on the order of 5 minutes, maaaaybe 10. We're not talking about straightening the NEC's S-curve through NYC here.

And while the Eastie tunnel grants you better access to Airport Station (but still need to transfer to get to Terminals), you lose out on access to a wider swath of Downtown and on improved connectivity to the subway network. The Chelsea alignment results in direct transfers to the Green and Orange Lines at North Station/Haymarket, Red Line at South Station and maybe Orange (and future Green) at Sullivan. The Eastie alignment dumps nearly everyone out at South Station, where they need to squeeze onto the Red Line to complete their journey to Green/Orange (along a stretch where Red is already maxed out).

Regional Rail to Lynn at 8-12 tph is definitely worthwhile, I don't think anyone disagrees on that. (The disagreement is whether it replaces or supplements BLX, but that's not the point here.) But Regional Rail to Lynn absolutely does not entail an Airport-South Station tunnel.
Not true. BL at Airport gets you wide swathes of Downtown (including MGH with RBC) and with RR gone from Chelsea(the one freight train per day can be gauntlet tracked over the Mystic) you could either run GL or OL to Winthrop Ave.

A zero-sum question literally no one has ever asked before because the projects in question are head-to-toe about as relevant to each other in real Civil Engineering benchmarking/scoring practice as "Does a woman need a man more than a fish needs a bicycle?"

We're running in total circles here attempting to respond to this whole-cloth arbitrary train of thought. Moor it in some real data cite that these projects are contradictory when broad-based study + demand/demographic consensus says they're either directly intertwined and complementary or at worst distantly related in purpose and priority. That's non-optional prerequisite before diving into the weeds assuming as ironclad prereq that those 3 are locked in winner-take-all mortal combat. Much less fighting each other to the death within a spatial quarter-century of each other in 4th-dimension timeline.
The comparision was not mine.

So, actually, a harbor RR tunnel WAS studied in 1994 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SfOmrQ-DMgM94NRvv3MtVTR0mV5vHOX2/view?usp=drivesdk

I do not just conjure these things up. Again, I ,and others I collaborate with, do research.
We analyze population data. We analyze traffic patterns. We analyze job density data.

Back to the study. They were assuming sunk tubes, ala Ted, at $420M. The route they were suggesting at the time was about 2x the straight shot to Eastie.
The distance from the present Transitway to the shore of Logan is 1.2 miles. Assume 1000ft of incline to get you above ground.
The distance from SSU to Airport Station is 1.7, so yes, .3 mile longer. However, even with a transfer at Airport, for many, one less transfer.
I never meant to imply that BLX and a Ted bore were in competition. I didnt start the cost comparision. Also, the Logan study provides a potential rough cost of a Ted tunnel by tubes.

Lastly, I think that anyone who believes one piece of predictive data that the MBTA puts forth probably believes in Santa. Their continued efforts to sandbag are legendary. The E/W Passenger Rail Study is just the latest.
So, the question becomes tubes or TBM? So, where do you balance cost inflation vs the 50% smaller scope? If one wipes out the other, $420M. If inflation is 50% more, then $630M. Combine that with either one large or two 20ft bores the .6 miles to Airport.
There is no data that I've seen, either here or elsewhere, that predicts higher costs for a harbor 2nd tunnel. The closest is comparing the Congress vs CA/T 2 track alignment costs. But even that is not apples to apples.

What happened subsequent to this "Draft" study release? Was it advanced to a Final study? Why was this Alt. not included for any benchmarking in all subsequent multi-alignment benchmark NSRL studies, with updated costs??? What do the subsequent studies say became of the concept in their summary of former studies?

And, finally: where does this prove 1-on-1 winner-take-all direct project competition of the kind that this discussion has one hand tied behind its back in assumption? In '94 the Ted was nearing construction completion for its '95 grand opening; the decision to delete the RT bore was made in excess of 5-7 years earlier. That is *perhaps* an indicator of project competition at some point along the way with that specific RT proposal lodged near the bottom of the priority pile. Except the evidence is incomplete given the half-decade difference in drop-dead decision for design-build and lack of any follow-up study benchmarking of the RR Alt. in the quarter-century post-'94...which still have to be accounted for before closing the lid on the "complementary vs. competitor" call. But...a 'possible' nonetheless. For the Ted3 project area.

Where, contrastingly, is this an explicit BLX project competition? Where are RUR service levels a feint of anyone's imagination sourced off a baseline of 26-years-ago Purple Line service and demand?

Where does it flow from this cite that these projects became mutually exclusive and zero-sum in planning spacetime? This is not shown. Show it, please, for the spread of projects locked in mortal combat. Those moved goalposts are starting to leave turf divots all over the field that'll pull someone's hammy come Sunday.

Last edited:
You are convinced that access to the backwater which is Revere Beach and Orient Heights is so desirable that the expense is worth it and it seems no amount of research or analysis will dissuade you from your "faith".
Sometimes a fresh analysis of a problem results in a solution that others had not noticed before. Happens all the time. Now, perhaps there are technical issues that none of us is aware of that would drive up the costs of this routing. But what we do know is that this routing is more central to the population, jobs, retail and entertainment of the area. I have seen no data to counter mine. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of this NSRL routing? That is a legitimate debate. There is no arguing against blind faith.

I know the point has been made a few times, but it needs more emphasis. This tunnel would not be very useful to anybody who doesn't live along the Eastern Route. It would indeed bring them frequent, direct access to the airport, but for all the other lines, it would be something between no direct airport trains and 2-3 per hour at most. The vast majority of airport passengers are not served by this.

A related point, is that the vast majority of trips do not involve needing or wanting to go to the airport. It just makes no sense to spend so much money on something that yields only marginal benefit to a very small subset of system users.

I am sorry if I have been unclear.
Two track NSRL has a limit of 24 tph. This would be insufficient for the present number of Southside trains and for the expected expansion of Northside trains under Regional Rail. Thus four track NSRL.
The question should be "is the best placement of the second tunnel directly next to the first?". How much additional benefit that a different routing might give us vs what we might give up.
Who suffers with a harbor routing? Several North-South pairings have been offered, but one popular one is Worcester-ER. So, Worces.terites who wish access to the northern CBD would continue to switch to OL at BB instead of the potential one seat. As there is a slight imbalance, perhaps as many as four other trains would lose that access as well, either split up between the other lines or, say Franklin. So, Franklinites also would need to do a same platform transfer with a 4.5 min wait if they desire to go to the northern CBD. Eastern Routers would also lose one seat to the northern CBD. Everyone else still has their one seat to both SSU and NS/CSU.
So what is the tradeoff? Much quicker(3 fewer stops, 3 mile shorter route, straight route)ride to SS, BB and SP for the nearly 40% of present Northside riders who take the ER. Probably 8 min minimum. I would even argue that most ER riders who would change at Airport would find that the maximum 5 min delay Easier access to jobs at Logan, a major employer, especially for Lynn residents(yes BLX would provide access as well, albeit slower) and ER/Worcester and Franklin Line riders.
And yes, easier access to flights for most people in Massachusetts without the expense of a Ted SL of GL tunnel.
However unmentioned so far is the fate of Chelsea, Everett and Southern Revere in this brave new world. To me, this is the icing on the cake. The present RR track from Winthrop Ave to Sullivan Sq can be repurposed to either OL or GL. GL would of course be more useful as a longer one seat Urban Ring route to West station, but the OL tunnel probably has more capacity than the GL and would be a quicker ride. This would reduce greatly the need for shoehorning a CR station into Sullivan Station. OL would be easier to connect with the Mystic bridge than GL. It would also offer an option for ER pax to access Haymarket. And, yes, I know that many of you will jump about how freight to Chelsea will just explode any day now, but one train, temporally separated and using a gauntlet track over the bridge, should be more than sufficient for any expansion. And before everyone starts clutching their pearls and sputtering about CSX never giving up rights to that oh so lucrative bone train to Peabody or their GJ rights, I would argue that those AND a reasonable attitude about E/W Rail(never mind hopes of money for Hoosic Tunnel and Worcester-Ayer upgrades) would be a price that CSX would gladly pay for state support of the PAR acquisition, nevermind the thanks of three of the most powerful congresspeople around.
And yes, even an hourly direct train to Airport from whatever other southside lines dont run there more frequently, would be a desired, well used service. And northside riders can make a cross platform transfer for the 5 min frequency to to Airport, where the people mover(the utility of which is increased by addition of the ER) brings them to their terminal( or they take the much quicker bus from there rather than the SL) It also makes GL Transitway conversion a much easier project.

Also, this routing is easy(assuming provision is made in SSU) to do incrementally. You can do two track CA/T or Congress first and then harbor tunnel/RT Chelsea later. It might mean sunk tubes vs TBM but probably not the end of the world.

Sorry a chunk seems to have disappeared. The line "maximum 5 min delay" said " might still find their work trip shorter as BL might put them closer to work than a Central Station."

You aren't going to do 24 tph serving the Eastern Route, so the ultimate result of this proposal is two tunnels with less capacity than having them both on the same alignment.

If we really wanted heavy rail RUR connection to Airport Station, could't we have done it with the SL3 route from Chelsea (with a tunnel under Chelsea Creek)? That route would have been compatible with future NSRL tunnels.

And I am not suggesting that we want that as opposed to a real Urban Ring connection on that route!

-unnecessary snark-

Alright, so let's take your costs from this '94 study, and correct for inflation (which is closer to 75%, not 50%), and also include the costs to get from SS to the harbor tunnel, and from the tunnel to Airport Station, Airport Station itself, and Airport Station to the existing ROW (since the all-in matters and you've gotta do all of that, the tunnel doesn't exist in a vacuum). That's $675M in 1994 dollars, or $1.2B today, omitting right-of-way, vents and exits, tracks, signals, electrification, environmental remediation, engineering and slushfund I mean, management and contingencies. The study observes that the latter three typically are allotted an additional 20-25% in budget ($220-275M). The study also observes that vents and exits for the Logan tunnel were expected to cost at least $80M over the CA/T alignment, for a total of $170M. That includes the Chelsea Creek tunnel, which we wouldn't be using, so cut it in half (although the Harbor crossing almost certainly was a bigger share of cost than Chelsea Creek). $85M, translated to 2020 dollars gets you $150M. Due to lack of information in the study, I've omitted any right-of-way costs in Eastie, track, signal, electrification, and environmental remediation costs. These costs will exist, I'm just not a civil engineer so any estimate I make would be a shot in the dark.

So our price tag is a floor of $1.7B for the cross-harbor tunnel. Again, we know it will be more than that ultimately, but let's stick with that. BLX + Son of Ted, in comparison, are between $1.8B and $2B all-in depending on the exact assumptions made. That's not a large difference, and due to several of the assumptions I made the floor is probably a little bit higher for the cross-harbor, and a little bit lower for BLX and 3rd Ted.

I never meant to imply that BLX and a Ted bore were in competition. I didnt start the cost comparision.
Understood.

Also, the Logan study provides a potential rough cost of a Ted tunnel by tubes.
I don't see why we should base our costs of a Ted bore off of a Draft Study from 1994 when we have the actual, real-world, cost of the Ted tunnels that have already been built. I'd be interested in the estimates from a 2020 study, however.

I'm happy to evaluate the options based on whatever dataset you choose, as long as it's consistent. The T sandbags all the time, but it's at least an expected sandbagging. I'll compare T to T, or Harvard to Harvard, or we can agree on a reasonable reduction factor to reduce the T figures to something we can compare to Harvard's study. But bear in mind that it makes the existing CA/T and BLX proposals cheaper if we assume that the T is sandbagging everything.

Combination done above, with proper inflation factor applied. I only factored in the costs as listed under the "Logan Airport to South Station" header, anything north of the Airport was omitted.

No data to support that TBM would be cheaper. So sticking with the data you've presented.

Of that, you are correct (primarily because I based this off the originally presented graphic). However, several of your assumptions are incomplete at best, as I've illustrated above.

I am sorry if I have been unclear.
Two track NSRL has a limit of 24 tph. This would be insufficient for the present number of Southside trains and for the expected expansion of Northside trains under Regional Rail. Thus four track NSRL.
The question should be "is the best placement of the second tunnel directly next to the first?". How much additional benefit that a different routing might give us vs what we might give up.
Who suffers with a harbor routing? Several North-South pairings have been offered, but one popular one is Worcester-ER. So, Worces.terites who wish access to the northern CBD would continue to switch to OL at BB instead of the potential one seat.

Considering the fact that WOR-NS access via the GJ comes up fairly regularly, it's a fair bet that WOR would rather one-seat access to NS than the Airport. It also would mean that NSEWRL would not be easing the downtown crush-loads at all by keeping WOR riders making that transfer at BB as they currently do.

As there is a slight imbalance, perhaps as many as four other trains would lose that access as well, either split up between the other lines or, say Franklin. So, Franklinites also would need to do a same platform transfer with a 4.5 min wait if they desire to go to the northern CBD. Eastern Routers would also lose one seat to the northern CBD. Everyone else still has their one seat to both SSU and NS/CSU.
So what is the tradeoff? Much quicker(3 fewer stops, 3 mile shorter route, straight route)ride to SS, BB and SP for the nearly 40% of present Northside riders who take the ER. Probably 8 min minimum. I would even argue that most ER riders who would change at Airport would find that the maximum 5 min delay Easier access to jobs at Logan, a major employer, especially for Lynn residents(yes BLX would provide access as well, albeit slower) and ER/Worcester and Franklin Line riders.
And yes, easier access to flights for most people in Massachusetts without the expense of a Ted SL of GL tunnel.
SL1 already exists. It gives direct terminal access. You're solving a problem that largely doesn't exist, at least from the southside.

However unmentioned so far is the fate of Chelsea, Everett and Southern Revere in this brave new world. To me, this is the icing on the cake. The present RR track from Winthrop Ave to Sullivan Sq can be repurposed to either OL or GL.
I'll look later, but I've definitely seen long-range GL extensions proposed on this very forum to Chelsea and possibly Logan without needing to displace the current CR.

Leaving Malden Center on a branchline isn't exactly ideal either if you want to shoot Orange out there, but F-Line can address that better than I can).

OL would be easier to connect with the Mystic bridge than GL. It would also offer an option for ER pax to access Haymarket.
Considering how close NS and Haymarket are, ER riders already have that access functionally. Just walk, or take one of the distended Lynn buses that will still be making the run all the way to Haymarket given that the Lynn routes will still be screwy. Not everyone needs a one-seat to every single CBD station.

And, yes, I know that many of you will jump about how freight to Chelsea will just explode any day now, but one train, temporally separated and using a gauntlet track over the bridge, should be more than sufficient for any expansion. And before everyone starts clutching their pearls and sputtering about CSX never giving up rights to that oh so lucrative bone train to Peabody or their GJ rights, I would argue that those AND a reasonable attitude about E/W Rail(never mind hopes of money for Hoosic Tunnel and Worcester-Ayer upgrades) would be a price that CSX would gladly pay for state support of the PAR acquisition, nevermind the thanks of three of the most powerful congresspeople around.
And yes, even an hourly direct train to Airport from whatever other southside lines dont run there more frequently, would be a desired, well used service. And northside riders can make a cross platform transfer for the 5 min frequency to to Airport, where the people mover(the utility of which is increased by addition of the ER) brings them to their terminal( or they take the much quicker bus from there rather than the SL) It also makes GL Transitway conversion a much easier project.

Also, this routing is easy(assuming provision is made in SSU) to do incrementally. You can do two track CA/T or Congress first and then harbor tunnel/RT Chelsea later. It might mean sunk tubes vs TBM but probably not the end of the world.
You can make this work, but my contention is that there are easier, cheaper, and universally more productive ways to make these improvements. And I don't appear to be alone on that stance.

I'm confused. That study @Tallguy links to is wild (and quite fascinating -- longer response later) -- but while it helpfully gives us some numbers to do some guesstimating around tunnel costs, the very same study also concludes that a cross-harbor tunnel is dubious at best. While it's true that the study was comparing NSRL vs Airport tunnel, it still lays out a whole bunch of fundamental problems with the Airport alignment.

If you want a cross-harbor tunnel to support 24tph service to the North Shore, the Airport, and Downtown, we already have that, and it runs between Aquarium and Maverick.

You aren't going to do 24 tph serving the Eastern Route, so the ultimate result of this proposal is two tunnels with less capacity than having them both on the same alignment.
Two tunnels would probably not be at theoretical maximum 48tph on either route.

Back