Crazy Transit Pitches

Barring a couple of mitigable choke-points, the Eastern Route can be four-tracked as far out as Salem - but it doesn't need to be to support the kind of density I think Salem is looking for. Completely double-tracking Newburyport after North Beverly is far, far, far more important to mission success than four tracks after Salem is, especially since there's zero chance that Amtrak runs anything on that line before 2035 and with them not in the picture, everyone else can be reasonably expected to make the same stops and travel at about the same speed on their way in to North Station - Salem, Swampscott, Lynn, Chelsea. Everyone proceeds in an orderly fashion and we don't need to dick around with scheduled overtakes or anything along those lines - half-hour headways on the Portsmouth/Newburyport Line, half-hour headways on the Rockport Line, a train's heading into Boston every 15 minutes. That's not undoable at all, and is pretty damn close to the headways you'd be getting on Blue-Salem without even having to get into Salem short-turns.

No, it doesn't. You realize these mains were built as 4-track back when RR was the only mode of travel faster than a horse. Unidirectional signaling (meaning no crossing over contra-flow, only 1 train occupying any single-track branch out in the sticks), inner express and outer local tracks on the mainline with many crossovers between them, and a zillion mix-and-match schedules that cherry-pick some stations and not others. There used to be 7 station stops on the Lowell Line between North Station and West Medford...3 more in between Forest Hills and Hyde Park on the NEC...4 more on the B&A between Newtonville and what we now call Yawkey. People in 1st- or 2nd-world countries haven't moved like that in almost a hundred years...back when 'horseless trolleys' and millionaire-owned 'horseless carriages' were experimental technology. Rapid transit replaced RR as the stop density mode because it's hands-down better at it. And bi-directional signaling replaced the need for RR's to be so hugely overbuilt. Not even the NEC on projected 2040 volumes needs more than 3 tracks most of its length.

Match the mode to purpose and audience. Don't force-fit some modal compromise that does nothing in particular well and pits different ridership audiences in direct competition with each other. That's how we end up with shit like the BRT myth. Commuter rail vs. rapid transit modal warfare with DMU's being pitched as the universal solvent is just another permutation of the BRT snake oil sales pitch. DMU's are a niche application that works very well in niche conditions. But there's no new spin to put on 19th century passenger railroading that makes it a palatable alternative to rapid transit. The performance isn't the same, and once you start talking service densities to require 4 tracks and dense stops you're spending so much money on RR infrastructure that rapid transit absolutely slays that mode on bang-for-buck.

Points 128-and-in on the North Shore have rapid transit commute characteristics borne out by the telltale bus density. Points 128-to-495 on the North Shore have among the northside's highest commuter rail ridership. Mashing outer-suburb commuter rail with some "Fairmounted" half-solution for the denser interior...or poaching service from one to feed the other...isn't a solution at all. It's been studied. To death. The inner North Shore needs rapid transit. The outer North Shore needs better commuter rail. 128's distance from the urban core is where the ridership characteristics fundamentally and sharply change. Improving what's there helps. But they are two ridership profiles with divergent needs. Improving CR branch frequencies doesn't fill the rapid transit void where the commute patterns have telltale rapid transit characteristics. Sacrificing CR branch frequencies for some Fairmounted thing harms a substantial existing 128-to-495 audience...and as a public service the T is tasked to do no harm to its district constituents, not operate on some fascist "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" (substitute "richer/poorer" too).

Step 1 to Lynn makes the buses to Salem run a ton better and cuts all those express buses off Routes 1 and 1A. It makes expressing commuter rail from the branches work better, which will boost Rockport and Newburyport a lot. Fine, do it...nothing else matters till they do it. But when they do it the demand's going to kick in for rapid transit out to Salem because the commuter characteristics are still rapid-transit like and the bus ridership (which is already 4 express routes despite the painful distance) will start swelling and swelling. That's been gamed out by the studies too.

Hell, there's a branch from Salem out to Danvers via Peabody. Reactivate that, half-hour headways each Portsmouth/Rockport/Danvers and you're at 10 minutes Salem - Boston, par for Blue Line headways. Is that really such a huge loss? I don't think so.

Right, Blue-Salem is way, way down on the totem pole - but Salem can pick up the benefits from commuter rail improvement projects and I daresay that pumping headways on Newburyport/Rockport is doable now, doable cheaply, and doesn't involve us getting tied up in another mega project.

Forget what I said about Danvers and Portsmouth, those are 2025/2030 issues - but access to and from Chelsea, Lynn, Salem are all issues today and there's plenty of room for headway improvements out to Newburyport/Rockport today, and I think focusing on Blue-Salem as the cure for all that ails us is missing the forest for the trees in a big way. That's what I'm driving at.

I agree that fixing the Eastern Route's deficiencies makes the commuting experience substantially better for all who take it. But it doesn't fundamentally change its purpose. 10 minutes??? Right now there are a couple express trips on the schedule that run Salem-North Station with no stops. They take 27 minutes. Even zapping the speed restrictions and upping it to 80 MPH is not going to whittle that down below 20 minutes. It's still bulky RR equipment, and it still has to crawl through yard limits the second it hits the Somerville side of the bridge. And you still haven't tackled how you're going to serve the inner 'burb stops within those fundamental modal constraints. If you start looking at what blood you'd have to squeeze from stone to add inside-128 stops and pare precious extra few seconds here and few seconds there...now you're talking rapid transit extension-level finances that the RR mode won't ever recover like a real RT line would. And you're talking elimination of other growth constituencies like Peabody/128 (which is only 2025 in funding, not need). That's the BRT/modal warfare trap: believing that conceptual 'flexibility' and splitting the difference straight down the middle somehow serves everyone's needs no matter how divergent those needs are and no matter how many reams of study data and real-world examples say it doesn't work that way. You get what you pay for.

Put it this way:

If the studies say this is a big pent-up rapid transit market...
And we say Mike Capuano is an idiot for suggesting DMU's over GLX and restoring those 7 nineteenth century inner Lowell Line stops being "good enough" for "splitting the difference"...
Knowing what a half-assed but accurately "cheaper" plan like that would do to both under-serve Somerville and cripple the existing CR service...
How does it make any sense to pit Blue against commuter rail the same way?

GLX may have the same riders in a much more compact service area (it's first priority for a reason), but the characteristics of these service areas are not such orders of magnitude different that the same logic that doesn't pass the laugh test in lieu of GLX would somehow be completely appropriate on the North Shore. Match the mode to purpose and audience.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, stop. There's been a breakdown in communication here.

I'm not proposing DMUs or any kind of infill stops for the North Shore. When I say "headway" - I mean the time between one train and the next. 15 minute headways = a train leaves Salem for Boston every 15 minutes, not "the train takes 15 minutes to get from Salem to Boston."

What I am suggesting is that right now, adding more trains to the Newburyport and Rockport Line schedules, thus reducing the amount of time between one train leaving and the next arriving, can only benefit Salem. And I think that we stand a much, much, much better chance of getting an extra, say, dozen daily trains assigned to each branch right now. There's no need for DMUs or infill stops or any kind of megaproject - that's the point. It's a thing we can do right now with minimal investment.

A dozen extra trains, each day, each way, stopping at Salem, Swampscott, Lynn, and Chelsea. I don't understand why that's bad? It doesn't preclude us going back and extending the Blue Line to Salem later if and when it turns out that a combination of more commuter rail trains + Blue-Lynn isn't quite cutting it.

I am not, absolutely not, suggesting we should try and replicate rapid transit stop density on the commuter rail. You're right, that would be stupid. In fact, I'm not suggesting any new stops should be built at all.

What I am suggesting is that Salem will benefit from having a train into or out of Boston every 15 minutes, and that maybe - just maybe - it doesn't have to be a compromise or a concession.

Adding more trains to the Newburyport/Rockport schedule isn't going to preclude Blue-Salem from ever happening, but it just might make the wait until Salem's turn on the priority queue comes up in 2040 that much less painful.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, stop. There's been a breakdown in communication here.

I'm not proposing DMUs or any kind of infill stops for the North Shore. When I say "headway" - I mean the time between one train and the next. 15 minute headways = a train leaves Salem for Boston every 15 minutes, not "the train takes 15 minutes to get from Salem to Boston."

What I am suggesting is that right now, adding more trains to the Newburyport and Rockport Line schedules, thus reducing the amount of time between one train leaving and the next arriving, can only benefit Salem. And I think that we stand a much, much, much better chance of getting an extra, say, dozen daily trains assigned to each branch right now. There's no need for DMUs or infill stops or any kind of megaproject - that's the point. It's a thing we can do right now with minimal investment.

A dozen extra trains, each day, each way, stopping at Salem, Swampscott, Lynn, and Chelsea. I don't understand why that's bad? It doesn't preclude us going back and extending the Blue Line to Salem later if and when it turns out that a combination of more commuter rail trains + Blue-Lynn isn't quite cutting it.

I am not, absolutely not, suggesting we should try and replicate rapid transit stop density on the commuter rail. You're right, that would be stupid. In fact, I'm not suggesting any new stops should be built at all.

What I am suggesting is that Salem will benefit from having a train into or out of Boston every 15 minutes, and that maybe - just maybe - it doesn't have to be a compromise or a concession.

Adding more trains to the Newburyport/Rockport schedule isn't going to preclude Blue-Salem from ever happening, but it just might make the wait until Salem's turn on the priority queue comes up in 2040 that much less painful.

OK...my misunderstanding.

But headway-wise the Eastern Route is already at departures every 15-30 minutes around peak hours: http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_m...ction=O&timing=W&RedisplayTime=Redisplay+Time. It's the densest CR schedule on the northside. The North Shore Transit Improvements study said that it could fit a reasonable Peabody/128 schedule + a South Salem intermediate stop by relocating all current Beverly short-turns out to Peabody and: 1) eliminating Eastern Ave. crossing, 2) getting the signal system up to 80 MPH spec, 3) eliminating the painful speed restrictions on the movable bridges by climbing out of their deferred maint hole. Bonus points if they 2-tracked the main Salem platform for simultaneous inbound/outbound stops on either side of the tunnel pinch point, added a couple passing sidings on the Newburyport branch to eliminate train meets, and went all-high platforms with automatic door coaches at all non-flag stops. All helpful, but not even required to handle 3 branches. It's not an exponential increase in mainline trains with half the Peabody schedule being supplied by diverted Beverly short-turns and the immediate 128 access justifying the partial traffic 'reshaping' away from Beverly.

It's all good; it keeps pace with the growth curve. But it's not a stratospheric or transformative increase that puts a noticeable dent in the Salem-inbound demand. The requirements for a stratospheric increase are ripping up or augmenting the tunnel for 2 tracks and replacing both mainline movable bridges with fixed (Saugus) or much higher (Beverly) spans. About a billion dollars in new concrete. They have no reason to go to the pain of digging up downtown Salem until NH is ready to (on their dime) build to Portsmouth and flush some heavy interstate ridership down the Newburyport branch to offset the cost. They're content to patch Saugus Draw until Blue-Lynn has to share a new fixed span and offset the cost. And Beverly Swing...well, they seem content to wait for that to collapse into the river before acknowledging that it's ready to keel over into the fucking river.

Of the 3 relatively track-unconstrained mains on the northside...Eastern Route has much less extra capacity to give than the NH Main (which if improved can serve intercity, hugely increased Lowell, and the full Haverhill schedule) or newly-upgraded Fitchburg (which probably could "Fairmount" out to 128 with no ill effects). It's always going to be a CR-frequency trip. That's all multiple branches and bridge openings and grade crossing clusters and single-track pinches will allow. For the money it would take to fix the tunnel + both bridges to allow substantially more, rapid transit's going to be the better value and the better way to share costs. Yeah, you could probably even get out of redoing the tunnel altogether and still handle fatter branch schedules and NH intercity if everything expressed from north-of-portal Salem to Chelsea with South Salem and Swampscott flipping Blue-only and Lynn becoming a light-used CR-to-Blue/bus transfer skipped or flag-only half the time. Like applying that 27-minute Salem-NS express on the schedule to every single outer branch's trip on the main.

^ The Orange Line should assume the Haverhill branch to Reading. If it's possible to schedule, bump the Haverhill trains to Lowell Line, and then Wildcat it to the existing Haverhill line in Wilmington (you'd lose the Wilmington stop). The hardest part about doing this is the plethora of grade-crossings in Melrose, Wakefield and Reading.

^ The Orange Line should assume the Haverhill branch to Reading. If it's possible to schedule, bump the Haverhill trains to Lowell Line, and then Wildcat it to the existing Haverhill line in Wilmington (you'd lose the Wilmington stop). The hardest part about doing this is the plethora of grade-crossings in Melrose, Wakefield and Reading.

Until 1979 the Haverhill Line only ran via the NH Main to Wilmington + Wildcat Branch, skipping all the Lowell Line stops until it forked off (much like today's Anderson-Haverhill expresses). See the 1975 system map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3d/1975_MBTA_commuter_rail_map.jpg. So when the OL-Reading extension was still a going concern in the mid/late-70's there would've been no commuter rail displacement...the Reading Line simply would've been swallowed whole into the rapid transit system and Haverhill would run like it always did. For the grade crossings the plan was to eliminate the ones that impacted station construction, but leave the others to piecemeal-eliminate as the years wore on. To do that OL trains were going to switch from 3rd rail to overhead at Oak Grove, like Blue does. So the 01200 trains currently running have pantograph mounts on the roof and are literally identical in every way except carbody dimensions to the recently retired Blue 0600's. You could truck an 01200 out to Orient Heights, slap a panto on it from one of the 0600's still in dead storage, and run it on Blue this instant anywhere north of State St. curve where the longer carbody will fit.

I doubt they would entertain a heavy rail build today that has grade crossings. It's simply not done anywhere anymore because drivers are so much more stupid around grade crossings than they were 35 years ago. And I doubt they're too keen on doing more power-switching lines...anything Orange is going to stay 3rd rail. I doubt if it didn't already exist that today they would've built Blue like they did in 1952...3rd rail heaters have come a long way. So you have to figure a significant premium for crossing elimination to Reading, which will kick it far down the priority pile. Certainly lower than extending the grade separated south end of the OL.

I do think they need to punt Haverhill back onto its original alignment. Too many damn stops and too much of a capacity choke out to Wilmington Jct. on the current alignment. Improve the Lowell Line, which has 2+ times the inherent capacity it's actually using, and double-track the Wildcat (may happen anyway for the Downeaster). Stop at Anderson, Wilmington, and re-open/ADA Salem St. station on the Wildcat Branch as a somewhat superior-location replacement for North Wilmington. Then they've got the flex to make really nice travel time out to Haverhill/Plaistow, can probably re-open/ADA Shawsheen station which now has an adjacent office park, and maybe even drop down a North Andover station by the airport if demand merits.

Then revert Reading back to short-turn, buff up the frequencies as much as the Medford single-tracking allows (it's never going to be a particularly fast line with that kind of stop spacing), plunk down a new stop at Quannapowitt/128 as a Wakefield-Reading spacer serving all the new development at that exit, raise all the platforms (which they can't do north of Wilmington on the freight main) and use the automatic door coaches, and make it its own 'quasi-Fairmount' inner 'burbs thing until the demand crests and it waits its turn for another crack at the rapid transit system. They had separate routings for a reason in the old days...Haverhill-via-Reading is a crappy setup for serving the inner stops with needed frequency and outer stops with tolerable travel times, and splitting the difference ends up punishing both audiences with subpar service. As much as it's going to improve when the ongoing improvements are finished, it's not going to be top-notch service until they at least start diversifying a much bigger % of the weekday schedules with many more Anderson expresses traded for more Reading short-turns.

Opps Lynn....

Orange line - Lynn Branch
Lynn Transit Center
Western Ave
Summer Street
Lincoln Ave
Central Ave
Essex Street
Bennet Highway
Beach Street
Maplewood Street
Centre Street
Medford Street
Tilestor Street
Gateway Center

Sullivan Square
Community College
North Station
Haymarket
State
Downtown Crossing
Chinatown
Tufts Medical Center
Back Bay
Mass Ave
Ruggles
Roxbury Crossing
Jackson Square
Stony Brook
Green Street
Forest Hills

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215312482559953359515.00049d22c1d2aeb0dbe48&msa=0&ll=42.380865,-70.979919&spn=0.342366,0.837021

^ The old Woburn branch RoW is built over in Woburn center. It would require land-taking or tunneling for a community that probably wouldn't want it anyway. You could plop a station down on the Lowell line at Cross St, Montvale Ave, or Salem St although those crossings are not particularly close to Woburn center.

^ The old Woburn branch RoW is built over in Woburn center. It would require land-taking or tunneling for a community that probably wouldn't want it anyway. You could plop a station down on the Lowell line at Cross St, Montvale Ave, or Salem St although those crossings are not particularly close to Woburn center.

It would go under in parts and elevated in others...

Woburn really needs a proper CR station, since the whole of the Woburn Branch was replaced with no infill stops whatsoever except crappy little Mishawum. It's a nearly 5-mile gap between Winchester Ctr. and Anderson, which is ridiculous skip for a town of nearly 40,000 with a pretty dense downtown and several buses crisscrossing the ROW. Woburn Branch had strong ridership right to the end in 1981. The only reason it was abandoned was unsafe track conditions, unreliability of the last vestiges of the Budd DMU fleet, and the T's acute budget crisis that year.

Montvale's probably better with the 354 out of downtown stopping a block away on the corner of Central/Montvale, the 355 from the Mall stopping 2 blocks away on Washington/Montvale, the I-93 exit, a mile's walking distance to downtown, decent space for parking, and some redevelopable TOD land nearby. Stick a bus loop on it and quick-divert both lines to the station before they get on 93 to head downtown. Salem St. would work too as a stop location for trapping the 354's route and accessibility to Woburn center, although it's got more abutting scuzzy industrial property and less-great road access. Abandon Mishawum because it simply draws too little ridership even for its stated reverse commute purpose. That people prefer the 355 out of Anderson to commute to the Mall and industrial park ought to be telling enough that this stop was a failed experiment.

If the line got a speed/signaling refresh and got a schedule out to Lowell/NH third only to Providence and Worcester in frequencies, that's plenty to tap the high known demand in Woburn. NH Main isn't a high-profile target for "Fairmounting" because it's got so much schedule density slack space to infill on a purely regular CR schedule, already excellent travel times to Lowell that could get much better still, and no need like the Worcester Line to segment a significant part of the schedule with inner-locals/short-turns vs. outer expresses to serve everyone's needs with acceptable travel times. Just flush it full. And punt a majority of the Haverhill schedule to here like I mentioned a couple posts ago so Anderson gets super-dense service that's de facto Fairmount. You could even trade in the two express buses for better local coverage with CR frequencies @ Anderson meeting or beating rush hour bus frequencies to downtown sans the I-93 horror show.

OK...my misunderstanding.

But headway-wise the Eastern Route is already at departures every 15-30 minutes around peak hours: http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_m...ction=O&timing=W&RedisplayTime=Redisplay+Time. It's the densest CR schedule on the northside.

River Works needs to disappear from the schedule. It should not be a scheduled stop - it shouldn't even be a flag stop. Conversely, there's no reason whatsoever to designate Chelsea as a flag stop.

That having been said, even though it's the densest northside CR schedule, I'm still seeing plenty of room for improvement - yes, it's looking pretty good around peak hours, but the wait times once you leave peak hour are significantly worse - there's absolutely room to sprinkle another dozen or more Beverly short-turns in throughout the schedule.

There aren't that many Beverly short-turns on the schedule as it stands - certainly not enough that I'd be comfortable saying "redirecting most of these to Peabody(/Danvers?) is going to do us just fine" - but I would go so far as to say that the bar for entry on new Beverly Depot trains (or, hell, why not a Salem short-turn?) is going to be a lot lower than (re)activating service to Peabody would. This isn't Worcester or Providence we're dealing with, after all - three coaches and a locomotive ought to do it for new short-turns as a stop-gap measure while we get our long term shit in order.

The North Shore Transit Improvements study said that it could fit a reasonable Peabody/128 schedule + a South Salem intermediate stop by relocating all current Beverly short-turns out to Peabody and: 1) eliminating Eastern Ave. crossing, 2) getting the signal system up to 80 MPH spec, 3) eliminating the painful speed restrictions on the movable bridges by climbing out of their deferred maint hole. Bonus points if they 2-tracked the main Salem platform for simultaneous inbound/outbound stops on either side of the tunnel pinch point, added a couple passing sidings on the Newburyport branch to eliminate train meets, and went all-high platforms with automatic door coaches at all non-flag stops. All helpful, but not even required to handle 3 branches.

All of that should be done anyway, Blue-Salem or otherwise, especially the extra platform (which should be done NOW in light of the work being done there already for the garage). Total no-brainer.

It's not an exponential increase in mainline trains with half the Peabody schedule being supplied by diverted Beverly short-turns and the immediate 128 access justifying the partial traffic 'reshaping' away from Beverly.

It's all good; it keeps pace with the growth curve. But it's not a stratospheric or transformative increase that puts a noticeable dent in the Salem-inbound demand. The requirements for a stratospheric increase are ripping up or augmenting the tunnel for 2 tracks and replacing both mainline movable bridges with fixed (Saugus) or much higher (Beverly) spans. About a billion dollars in new concrete. They have no reason to go to the pain of digging up downtown Salem until NH is ready to (on their dime) build to Portsmouth and flush some heavy interstate ridership down the Newburyport branch to offset the cost. They're content to patch Saugus Draw until Blue-Lynn has to share a new fixed span and offset the cost. And Beverly Swing...well, they seem content to wait for that to collapse into the river before acknowledging that it's ready to keel over into the fucking river.

Beverly Swing can probably go fixed as well. Essex Bridge is fixed and right there - and my eyeball impression is that there's room for the necessary grades and clearances to elevate, especially with all the docks being on the other side of 1A - which means the water traffic is probably a mitigable concern here.

Of the 3 relatively track-unconstrained mains on the northside...Eastern Route has much less extra capacity to give than the NH Main (which if improved can serve intercity, hugely increased Lowell, and the full Haverhill schedule) or newly-upgraded Fitchburg (which probably could "Fairmount" out to 128 with no ill effects). It's always going to be a CR-frequency trip. That's all multiple branches and bridge openings and grade crossing clusters and single-track pinches will allow. For the money it would take to fix the tunnel + both bridges to allow substantially more, rapid transit's going to be the better value and the better way to share costs. Yeah, you could probably even get out of redoing the tunnel altogether and still handle fatter branch schedules and NH intercity if everything expressed from north-of-portal Salem to Chelsea with South Salem and Swampscott flipping Blue-only and Lynn becoming a light-used CR-to-Blue/bus transfer skipped or flag-only half the time. Like applying that 27-minute Salem-NS express on the schedule to every single outer branch's trip on the main.

I'll buy that ripping up downtown Salem for new and improved tunnels probably isn't happening for a while, but it is an eventual certainty. It's not like we can get away with zero new tunneling for Blue-Salem, after all, and assuming New Hampshire gets its act together, that's probably happening long before Blue-Salem does. I could be convinced that would happen in 2025 or 2030, at least a decade before Blue-Salem enters the picture.

If there's some way to bootstrap tunneling for Blue-Salem onto tunneling for the Eastern Route, great, let's do that. But I don't think we're going to get away without making the necessary tunnel improvements for the Eastern Route, and I don't think that "let's just flip everything express and never stop at Lynn" is a viable long-term strategy, and certainly not if the primary reason to downgrade Lynn to light use is "so we can avoid fixing the problems up-line in Salem and Beverly". NH Intercity traffic should really be treated as a fourth branch for planning purposes anyway, alongside Newburyport, Rockport, and Peabody/Danvers.

(Although, I doubt very much that there is ever going to be any strictly-intercity traffic to Portsmouth. I can see an eventual commuter rail extension, Providence Line style, but I don't see excursion trains out to Portsmouth and I don't think Amtrak's going to want any part of Boston - Salem - Newburyport - Hampton - Portsmouth unless it literally costs them nothing to do as a once-daily Lynchburg-esque Regional extension once the North-South Rail Link is finished OR someone comes up with a way to blaze a new ROW out of Portsmouth to Wells or Dover to link back in with the Downeaster.)

Woburn really needs a proper CR station, since the whole of the Woburn Branch was replaced with no infill stops whatsoever except crappy little Mishawum. It's a nearly 5-mile gap between Winchester Ctr. and Anderson, which is ridiculous skip for a town of nearly 40,000 with a pretty dense downtown and several buses crisscrossing the ROW. Woburn Branch had strong ridership right to the end in 1981. The only reason it was abandoned was unsafe track conditions, unreliability of the last vestiges of the Budd DMU fleet, and the T's acute budget crisis that year.

Montvale's probably better with the 354 out of downtown stopping a block away on the corner of Central/Montvale, the 355 from the Mall stopping 2 blocks away on Washington/Montvale, the I-93 exit, a mile's walking distance to downtown, decent space for parking, and some redevelopable TOD land nearby. Stick a bus loop on it and quick-divert both lines to the station before they get on 93 to head downtown. Salem St. would work too as a stop location for trapping the 354's route and accessibility to Woburn center, although it's got more abutting scuzzy industrial property and less-great road access. Abandon Mishawum because it simply draws too little ridership even for its stated reverse commute purpose. That people prefer the 355 out of Anderson to commute to the Mall and industrial park ought to be telling enough that this stop was a failed experiment.

If the line got a speed/signaling refresh and got a schedule out to Lowell/NH third only to Providence and Worcester in frequencies, that's plenty to tap the high known demand in Woburn. NH Main isn't a high-profile target for "Fairmounting" because it's got so much schedule density slack space to infill on a purely regular CR schedule, already excellent travel times to Lowell that could get much better still, and no need like the Worcester Line to segment a significant part of the schedule with inner-locals/short-turns vs. outer expresses to serve everyone's needs with acceptable travel times. Just flush it full. And punt a majority of the Haverhill schedule to here like I mentioned a couple posts ago so Anderson gets super-dense service that's de facto Fairmount. You could even trade in the two express buses for better local coverage with CR frequencies @ Anderson meeting or beating rush hour bus frequencies to downtown sans the I-93 horror show.

Speaking of the Downeaster, I remember you telling me that the main reason why we couldn't high-level out to Anderson is because of freight concerns, and that mitigating those concerns would require ripping up most of the ROW.

I do believe that it's worth ripping up the entire ROW to get to the point where we can high-level everything - but, if we're willing to run the Blue Line out as far as Salem, why not run the Green Line out to Woburn? That'd let us drop everything except West Medford and (maybe) Winchester Center off the CR schedule. Most of the work we'd end up doing on the ROW to get to the point where 2 tracks CR and 2 tracks LRT is feasible is probably work that would need to be done away to boost speeds on the line.

It would go under in parts and elevated in others...

I did mention tunneling. I also mentioned that Woburn wouldn't want the disruption. If it were rapid transit you could maybe justify the cost. As a commuter rail stub probably not.

River Works needs to disappear from the schedule. It should not be a scheduled stop - it shouldn't even be a flag stop. Conversely, there's no reason whatsoever to designate Chelsea as a flag stop.

Riverworks gets a lot of ridership for a stop that's only used during shift changes at the GE plant. Per the Blue Book 140 boardings a day. That's more than West Gloucester or Waverley. And negligible difference from Chelsea (156 daily). For how few times a day it's used that's worth keeping as the plant has few other transit options that aren't a lousy walk to Route 1A or 107. It's not a schedule drag, they're under no obligation to ADA it, and it's already front-door boarding only so that doesn't restrict the auto door coaches. It can go if Blue comes to Lynn because they'll need a small West Lynn intermediate on that side of the river.

Chelsea is pathetically handled. It's the last non-ADA full stop on the Eastern Route or either branch and for the bus density and pop density through there it needs more amenities than a tiny tincan shelter on 1 platform only. How 'bout a traffic light instead of stop signs at that uninviting intersection? Or real sidewalks? Or ramps from the Washington Ave. side? Or bus shelters for the 112, 114, and 111? Or a bike rack? Or a couple newspaper boxes? They keep talking about how very very important this stop is going to be for radial urban transit, but then leave it perpetually crippled and a flag stop.

That having been said, even though it's the densest northside CR schedule, I'm still seeing plenty of room for improvement - yes, it's looking pretty good around peak hours, but the wait times once you leave peak hour are significantly worse - there's absolutely room to sprinkle another dozen or more Beverly short-turns in throughout the schedule.

There aren't that many Beverly short-turns on the schedule as it stands - certainly not enough that I'd be comfortable saying "redirecting most of these to Peabody(/Danvers?) is going to do us just fine" - but I would go so far as to say that the bar for entry on new Beverly Depot trains (or, hell, why not a Salem short-turn?) is going to be a lot lower than (re)activating service to Peabody would. This isn't Worcester or Providence we're dealing with, after all - three coaches and a locomotive ought to do it for new short-turns as a stop-gap measure while we get our long term shit in order.

Huh? The Eastern Route has the densest off-peak schedule on the entire commuter rail. Better than Providence, which has a couple wide gaps around Amtrak slots. Freight runs 7 days a week to Everett Terminal and 3 days a week to Peabody on the mid-afternoon off-peak. The movable bridges cram most of their openings on the off-peak. It's doing about what it can do. Pretty well in fact by dancing around the other corridor users without over-long schedule gaps. They can pry some slots for Peabody/128 by fixing the Chelsea restrictions and avoiding the higher number of bridge openings at Beverly swing. Beverly's not going to be transit-deprived if fixing the restrictions also opens up more Newburyport and Rockport slots. The short-turns there are a function of capacity, not convenience. The single-track bottlenecks in the tunnel, at the Salem platform, and on the Newburyport branch make juggling train meets hard on end-to-enders. The short-turns exist as a shiv to do what they can up to the capacity cap. Doing it more comes at expense of branch service. You're not Fairmounting this line. It's not built for it.

All of that should be done anyway, Blue-Salem or otherwise, especially the extra platform (which should be done NOW in light of the work being done there already for the garage). Total no-brainer.

Beverly Swing can probably go fixed as well. Essex Bridge is fixed and right there - and my eyeball impression is that there's room for the necessary grades and clearances to elevate, especially with all the docks being on the other side of 1A - which means the water traffic is probably a mitigable concern here.

The tracks can only be raised 13 feet at 1% RR grades with the available running space between the bridge and the School St. overpass. Go steeper than that and the climb induces a speed restriction akin to the very (too?) steep Mystic bridge. Any replacement will still have to be a movable bridge because it can't match the very steep climb of the Essex Bridge without doing more harm than good. That's OK, though...a dozen more feet cuts the bridge openings by about 80% and zaps the (minor) Congress St. grade crossing on the Beverly side as an added bonus. In-season a lot more boats use that channel than you might think. Danversport marina and the Crane and Waters River marinas collectively have close to 500 berths.

I'll buy that ripping up downtown Salem for new and improved tunnels probably isn't happening for a while, but it is an eventual certainty. It's not like we can get away with zero new tunneling for Blue-Salem, after all, and assuming New Hampshire gets its act together, that's probably happening long before Blue-Salem does. I could be convinced that would happen in 2025 or 2030, at least a decade before Blue-Salem enters the picture.

If there's some way to bootstrap tunneling for Blue-Salem onto tunneling for the Eastern Route, great, let's do that.

Blue-Salem would not tunnel. That's not been proposed at all. It would terminate south-of-portal at Castle Hill Yard. The old south-of-portal Salem station was much more accessible to the whole of the downtown density and the college. It just had no parking, couldn't be ADA'd, and was dangerously narrow. North-of-portal is a parking pit not real ped-friendly, and bisected by the river and the icy winds off it. The neighborhoods north of the river are chopped up by 3 cemeteries and less-than-awesome ped access blunting the demand there, and the rest of that area north of the river would be better served out of Peabody Sq.

So of course the T is spending itself into oblivion building a Taj Mahal garage in the pit and making bad Route 107/114 traffic worse. The town wants South Salem back and it's so highly recommended in the North Shore Transit Improvements study because it's the traditionally superior location, Spaulding and Mass General Children's are right there, and the college has grown a lot (with the Salem-Marblehead rail trail providing extremely good access). Rapid transit ridership wouldn't merit the pain of going through the tunnel, much less all the tunneling required to net 2 x 2 tracks.

Hell...South Salem will probably have its own humongous parking garage built on Castle Hill Yard. That Taj Mahal they're building in the pit is gonna be one big expensive albatross in due time.

But I don't think we're going to get away without making the necessary tunnel improvements for the Eastern Route, and I don't think that "let's just flip everything express and never stop at Lynn" is a viable long-term strategy, and certainly not if the primary reason to downgrade Lynn to light use is "so we can avoid fixing the problems up-line in Salem and Beverly". NH Intercity traffic should really be treated as a fourth branch for planning purposes anyway, alongside Newburyport, Rockport, and Peabody/Danvers.

They're not even certain they can do more tunneling. It's a built-up downtown and deep-boring isn't an option with the inclines involved right next to a very flood-prone river. Half of the existing tunnel is wider than the other half and might be able to be widened. But it might not. A parallel tunnel is going to impact building foundations; it might be no-go. They haven't priced it out...it's probably going to be more expensive than Red-Blue. It may take another 30+ years before they get a crack at that, especially with the movable bridges and the grade crossings giving them several hundred mil's worth of concrete to pour in the meantime.

The Eastern Route has got a ceiling that won't let it be all things to every constituency. Squinting ever harder isn't going to make the options appear that do it all for everyone or net anything close to a clock-facing schedule to Salem. The best thing they may be able to do in the interim to mitigate the tunnel is build South Salem + that second North Salem platform so train meets can be staged right at each tunnel portal instead of having to be coordinated all the way from Swampscott to Beverly. That's still not going to allow true splitting of the difference between inside-128 transit needs and outside-128 transit needs on one mode. It's not. The fact that rapid transit--if they ever get it to @#$% Lynn in the first place--is an unconstrained build to South Salem means commuter rail's best served by the 128-to-495 constituency and rapid transit the Boston to Salem constituency. They'll need that express inbound run and to skip the inner non-Chelsea stops...maybe with just that one CR-to-Blue transfer opportunity in Lynn. The express time probably lifts the capacity cap enough to support 50 years' worth of Peabody, Rockport, and Newburyport/Portsmouth growth curve at regular CR frequencies. But don't be holding out for a clock-facing schedule. That's not going to happen without similar money poured into the CR-only mode as it would take to build out the rapid transit mode. There's no reason to that with the stratospheric difference in ridership ROI.

(Although, I doubt very much that there is ever going to be any strictly-intercity traffic to Portsmouth. I can see an eventual commuter rail extension, Providence Line style, but I don't see excursion trains out to Portsmouth and I don't think Amtrak's going to want any part of Boston - Salem - Newburyport - Hampton - Portsmouth unless it literally costs them nothing to do as a once-daily Lynchburg-esque Regional extension once the North-South Rail Link is finished OR someone comes up with a way to blaze a new ROW out of Portsmouth to Wells or Dover to link back in with the Downeaster.)

It's called the old Eastern Route ROW. Still intact as a power line ROW next to NH 236 between Kittery and North Berwick. I agree anything beyond Portsmouth CR is highly speculative. But if you're thinking of any future of real-deal HSR speeds to Portland, the Western Route isn't going to do that. It probably won't allow both electrification and double-stack freights (which are definitely happening before 2020 on Pan Am). And the curves around the Merrimack River, un-expandability of the ROW, and general congestion make it tough to push beyond 'fast diesel'. So IF there's a future for real 125+ to Portland, the Eastern Route is the only one that'll allow electrification and full freedom from freight congestion. It's almost arrow-straight from Chelsea to Portsmouth yard, and has relative paucity of grade crossings to zap on the segments that could top 125. If the Salem tunnel does become a half-bil project, HSR might be the only thing that ever justifies it.

Again...only an "if there is ever to be real HSR to Portland" scenario, not a should there be or does it even matter before 2050. It's a dilemma forced by the likelihood that electrifying the Western Route over double-stack freights is a multi-billion retrofit that still won't net worthwhile speeds or congestion relief. Rebuilding that Kittery-North Berwick ROW, doing Salem if it hasn't already been done, and zapping the grade crossings in 125+ territory looks a lot better if that price point between Western and Eastern starts converging for real HSR. And only one is going to buy long stretches of real HSR.

Speaking of the Downeaster, I remember you telling me that the main reason why we couldn't high-level out to Anderson is because of freight concerns, and that mitigating those concerns would require ripping up most of the ROW.

I do believe that it's worth ripping up the entire ROW to get to the point where we can high-level everything - but, if we're willing to run the Blue Line out as far as Salem, why not run the Green Line out to Woburn? That'd let us drop everything except West Medford and (maybe) Winchester Center off the CR schedule. Most of the work we'd end up doing on the ROW to get to the point where 2 tracks CR and 2 tracks LRT is feasible is probably work that would need to be done away to boost speeds on the line.

Um...yeah. They wanted that one in 1945 too: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottomatic77/3304445209/sizes/l/in/photostream/. Few things:

-- The NH Main isn't going to have a need to jettison the local stops until it's hooked up to the N-S Link and throwing punishing levels of thru CR and intercity traffic out to Anderson at 125 MPH. The travel time to Lowell/Nashua making all intermediates is pretty good. It only needs a long-term plan to zap the West Medford grade crossing pair to leave its traffic capacity essentially unconstrained. If Lowell locals were augmented with a permanent re-splitting of the Reading Line from the Haverhill Line, and NHDOT expresses to Concord started...that pretty much does net a clock-facing Boston-128 schedule at Anderson with stuff stopping there every 15-25 minutes all day. So for now the CR mode's got a high growth ceiling at the stops that most matter that doesn't require DMU's or Fairmounting. Puts all manner of Blue and Orange extensions a bit higher on the priority pile.

-- However, when you do build the Link you'd absolutely want to consider whether it's worth trading in the local stops. 2 nonstop thru tracks where stuff gets to blast by at 90-125 MPH is going to work better than 3 tracks and dancin' crossovers of locals and expresses. Same considerations as the long-term wisdom of keeping any intermediates whatsoever on the NEC between BBY and 128 when Hyde Park is better served by Fairmount station's frequencies, rapid transit badly needs to displace the Needham Line, and Ruggles wouldn't exist at all if Dudley had any form of real rapid transit. Unlike the Worcester Line where Fairmounting's your only option for dense locals, there is a readily available rapid transit trajectory to clear out super-duper capacity on an intercity trunk.

-- You'd have to consider whether Green is the mode that should do this, or if it's worth unplugging the Medford Hillside GLX from the Central Subway and hooking it up to an available heavy rail line. I don't think this is an excuse to heavy-rail Green and all the billions that would entail. Stand at Northpoint and watch Orange go by all day long over on the other side of BET. You can fork off a branch right there. You can 2 x 2 RR/RT the Link, off Red at Columbia Jct. with two full-headway mains trading off at the "X". LRT'd Urban Ring is a much better use for the Green capacity that would free up than a full Anderson-via-Somerville branch that'll suck up 1-1/2 times the D's ridership and make it 1959 all over again for the other branches.

Last edited:
Didn't they look at the Orange Line branch alt and discard it awhile ago?

Riverworks gets a lot of ridership for a stop that's only used during shift changes at the GE plant. Per the Blue Book 140 boardings a day. That's more than West Gloucester or Waverley. And negligible difference from Chelsea (156 daily). For how few times a day it's used that's worth keeping as the plant has few other transit options that aren't a lousy walk to Route 1A or 107. It's not a schedule drag, they're under no obligation to ADA it, and it's already front-door boarding only so that doesn't restrict the auto door coaches. It can go if Blue comes to Lynn because they'll need a small West Lynn intermediate on that side of the river.

What is so special about GE Aviation that they managed to get themselves an employee-only stop? Seriously. Answer that for me and I'll be less infuriated by the existence of that stop.

Chelsea is pathetically handled. It's the last non-ADA full stop on the Eastern Route or either branch and for the bus density and pop density through there it needs more amenities than a tiny tincan shelter on 1 platform only. How 'bout a traffic light instead of stop signs at that uninviting intersection? Or real sidewalks? Or ramps from the Washington Ave. side? Or bus shelters for the 112, 114, and 111? Or a bike rack? Or a couple newspaper boxes? They keep talking about how very very important this stop is going to be for radial urban transit, but then leave it perpetually crippled and a flag stop.

I have no idea how much room we have to play with at Chelsea or how negotiable it's physical location is - and until I know those things, I can't make any concrete suggestions for what to do with it.

There's just too much around the tracks already for me to seriously suggest what I think the best possible solution is, that being picking up and moving the entire station one block over to sit between Broadway and Washington Avenue. There's definitely not enough room to work at it's current location, and the open space on the other side of the Expressway comes with the unfortunate caveat of "being on the wrong side of the expressway."

Maybe you could build out the actual station and have the Expressway running on its roof, which makes building here look a whole lot better. Not to mention, building a new station means you get to keep the existing one active until the new one is ready to come online... but maybe that isn't much of a perk in this case.

Here probably works too, and provides enough room to fulfill the MBTA's garage fetish, plus ease of access to the Expressway... I don't know.

Huh? The Eastern Route has the densest off-peak schedule on the entire commuter rail. Better than Providence, which has a couple wide gaps around Amtrak slots. Freight runs 7 days a week to Everett Terminal and 3 days a week to Peabody on the mid-afternoon off-peak. The movable bridges cram most of their openings on the off-peak. It's doing about what it can do. Pretty well in fact by dancing around the other corridor users without over-long schedule gaps. They can pry some slots for Peabody/128 by fixing the Chelsea restrictions and avoiding the higher number of bridge openings at Beverly swing. Beverly's not going to be transit-deprived if fixing the restrictions also opens up more Newburyport and Rockport slots. The short-turns there are a function of capacity, not convenience. The single-track bottlenecks in the tunnel, at the Salem platform, and on the Newburyport branch make juggling train meets hard on end-to-enders. The short-turns exist as a shiv to do what they can up to the capacity cap. Doing it more comes at expense of branch service. You're not Fairmounting this line. It's not built for it.

40~80 minute gaps between trains outside of peak hours isn't exactly "great." I get that there are ruling metrics in play here, but surely we can get an average hourly wait down to 45 or 40 minutes on the off-peak times.

I acknowledge that there's no real reason other than capacity to short-turn at Beverly Depot, but I think there's enough give for an extra dozen trains provided we don't mess with the Newburyport Line any, or turn them out to Peabody.

The tracks can only be raised 13 feet at 1% RR grades with the available running space between the bridge and the School St. overpass. Go steeper than that and the climb induces a speed restriction akin to the very (too?) steep Mystic bridge. Any replacement will still have to be a movable bridge because it can't match the very steep climb of the Essex Bridge without doing more harm than good. That's OK, though...a dozen more feet cuts the bridge openings by about 80% and zaps the (minor) Congress St. grade crossing on the Beverly side as an added bonus. In-season a lot more boats use that channel than you might think. Danversport marina and the Crane and Waters River marinas collectively have close to 500 berths.

You're right, the marina traffic numbers are surprising to me - but once you start talking building a new bridge and all the expenses involved in that undertaking, the cost of blowing up and redoing one grade separation is really chump change in comparison.

Flip School Street to an underpass and that buys you an extra 1085 feet of running room. It looks like March Street has a boat launch at the end of it, so that probably needs to stay as an overpass, and we can't press farther than a Pleasant Street underpass without having to rework Beverly Depot... I'm going to give it an extra 24.5 feet max elevation if we're sticking to 1% grade and pushing it right up to the edges of our working room. That should be more than enough to let us go fixed.

Hell, if you want to smooth out the top of the bridge arc, I'd still be comfortable saying we have an extra 21 feet to work with in elevation.

Blue-Salem would not tunnel. That's not been proposed at all. It would terminate south-of-portal at Castle Hill Yard. The old south-of-portal Salem station was much more accessible to the whole of the downtown density and the college. It just had no parking, couldn't be ADA'd, and was dangerously narrow. North-of-portal is a parking pit not real ped-friendly, and bisected by the river and the icy winds off it. The neighborhoods north of the river are chopped up by 3 cemeteries and less-than-awesome ped access blunting the demand there, and the rest of that area north of the river would be better served out of Peabody Sq.

So of course the T is spending itself into oblivion building a Taj Mahal garage in the pit and making bad Route 107/114 traffic worse. The town wants South Salem back and it's so highly recommended in the North Shore Transit Improvements study because it's the traditionally superior location, Spaulding and Mass General Children's are right there, and the college has grown a lot (with the Salem-Marblehead rail trail providing extremely good access). Rapid transit ridership wouldn't merit the pain of going through the tunnel, much less all the tunneling required to net 2 x 2 tracks.

Hell...South Salem will probably have its own humongous parking garage built on Castle Hill Yard. That Taj Mahal they're building in the pit is gonna be one big expensive albatross in due time.

I think Blue-Salem is going to have to go all the way to the Taj Mahal Garage. I don't think they're going to find the will to build another garage on top of the yard and there's going to have to be a Blue/CR meet somewhere in Salem.

I could see the argument for keeping Salem and South Salem both as CR stops, but I don't think anybody necessarily wants to do that, nor do I think that pushing all the CR/Blue transfers back to Lynn is the answer here.

It's a huge albatross to be certain, but I'm confident in saying that we're stuck with it.

They're not even certain they can do more tunneling. It's a built-up downtown and deep-boring isn't an option with the inclines involved right next to a very flood-prone river. Half of the existing tunnel is wider than the other half and might be able to be widened. But it might not. A parallel tunnel is going to impact building foundations; it might be no-go. They haven't priced it out...it's probably going to be more expensive than Red-Blue. It may take another 30+ years before they get a crack at that, especially with the movable bridges and the grade crossings giving them several hundred mil's worth of concrete to pour in the meantime.

The Eastern Route has got a ceiling that won't let it be all things to every constituency. Squinting ever harder isn't going to make the options appear that do it all for everyone or net anything close to a clock-facing schedule to Salem. The best thing they may be able to do in the interim to mitigate the tunnel is build South Salem + that second North Salem platform so train meets can be staged right at each tunnel portal instead of having to be coordinated all the way from Swampscott to Beverly. That's still not going to allow true splitting of the difference between inside-128 transit needs and outside-128 transit needs on one mode. It's not. The fact that rapid transit--if they ever get it to @#$% Lynn in the first place--is an unconstrained build to South Salem means commuter rail's best served by the 128-to-495 constituency and rapid transit the Boston to Salem constituency. They'll need that express inbound run and to skip the inner non-Chelsea stops...maybe with just that one CR-to-Blue transfer opportunity in Lynn. The express time probably lifts the capacity cap enough to support 50 years' worth of Peabody, Rockport, and Newburyport/Portsmouth growth curve at regular CR frequencies. But don't be holding out for a clock-facing schedule. That's not going to happen without similar money poured into the CR-only mode as it would take to build out the rapid transit mode. There's no reason to that with the stratospheric difference in ridership ROI.

Well, yes, it's certainly going to be orders of magnitude more expensive than Red-Blue, and we're certainly not getting a shot it until 2040 at the earliest.

I'd like to believe that, come 2040, we'll actually be able to get tunneling done - and, really, once you start the tunneling process, there's really no good argument not to go for the max-pain, get-it-all-done-now plan that couples Blue-Salem onto necessary Eastern Route fixes, because you're never going to get the go-ahead to come back and start a second painful tunnel build after your first job's finished and it turns out that whoops, our bad, we really needed 2+2 into our Taj Mahal Salem Station after all.

It's called the old Eastern Route ROW. Still intact as a power line ROW next to NH 236 between Kittery and North Berwick. I agree anything beyond Portsmouth CR is highly speculative. But if you're thinking of any future of real-deal HSR speeds to Portland, the Western Route isn't going to do that. It probably won't allow both electrification and double-stack freights (which are definitely happening before 2020 on Pan Am). And the curves around the Merrimack River, un-expandability of the ROW, and general congestion make it tough to push beyond 'fast diesel'. So IF there's a future for real 125+ to Portland, the Eastern Route is the only one that'll allow electrification and full freedom from freight congestion. It's almost arrow-straight from Chelsea to Portsmouth yard, and has relative paucity of grade crossings to zap on the segments that could top 125. If the Salem tunnel does become a half-bil project, HSR might be the only thing that ever justifies it.

Honestly, I think you're lowballing that tunnel in a huge way. I'd be amazed if we could get it done for less than $2B even.

That having been said, I honestly can't see the intact ROW you're talking about for the life of me. Believe me, I've looked... maybe I'm not looking hard enough and I'm going to feel real stupid if you have a map of it on hand, but I can't see any real way to get from Kittery to North or South Berwick without going through a fairly significant amount of obstacles.

Not that I'm opposed to doing that if it comes down to it, mind you.

Again...only an "if there is ever to be real HSR to Portland" scenario, not a should there be or does it even matter before 2050. It's a dilemma forced by the likelihood that electrifying the Western Route over double-stack freights is a multi-billion retrofit that still won't net worthwhile speeds or congestion relief. Rebuilding that Kittery-North Berwick ROW, doing Salem if it hasn't already been done, and zapping the grade crossings in 125+ territory looks a lot better if that price point between Western and Eastern starts converging for real HSR. And only one is going to buy long stretches of real HSR.

If it comes down to one or the other, I'm just not seeing the argument for real HSR to Portland at great expense along the Western Route. Haverhill, Exeter, Durham/UNH and Dover together probably come close to the ridership potential of Portsmouth on its own, and one stop versus four isn't a very hard argument to make. Any other stops (Hampton? Newburyport?) just make the Eastern Route that much more lucrative, all the trains end up in North Station anyway and Anderson RTC is probably an acceptable loss in light of it being served by whatever NH Main services Amtrak wants to run and a Salem stop (for the actual destination) or a Beverly stop (for the 128 access). Absolutely no question whatsoever post-Rail Link, when the park-and-ride demands are all being fed by RTE and the entire line stretches down to New York or DC.

Um...yeah. They wanted that one in 1945 too: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottomatic77/3304445209/sizes/l/in/photostream/. Few things:

-- The NH Main isn't going to have a need to jettison the local stops until it's hooked up to the N-S Link and throwing punishing levels of thru CR and intercity traffic out to Anderson at 125 MPH. The travel time to Lowell/Nashua making all intermediates is pretty good. It only needs a long-term plan to zap the West Medford grade crossing pair to leave its traffic capacity essentially unconstrained. If Lowell locals were augmented with a permanent re-splitting of the Reading Line from the Haverhill Line, and NHDOT expresses to Concord started...that pretty much does net a clock-facing Boston-128 schedule at Anderson with stuff stopping there every 15-25 minutes all day. So for now the CR mode's got a high growth ceiling at the stops that most matter that doesn't require DMU's or Fairmounting. Puts all manner of Blue and Orange extensions a bit higher on the priority pile.

-- However, when you do build the Link you'd absolutely want to consider whether it's worth trading in the local stops. 2 nonstop thru tracks where stuff gets to blast by at 90-125 MPH is going to work better than 3 tracks and dancin' crossovers of locals and expresses. Same considerations as the long-term wisdom of keeping any intermediates whatsoever on the NEC between BBY and 128 when Hyde Park is better served by Fairmount station's frequencies, rapid transit badly needs to displace the Needham Line, and Ruggles wouldn't exist at all if Dudley had any form of real rapid transit. Unlike the Worcester Line where Fairmounting's your only option for dense locals, there is a readily available rapid transit trajectory to clear out super-duper capacity on an intercity trunk.

-- You'd have to consider whether Green is the mode that should do this, or if it's worth unplugging the Medford Hillside GLX from the Central Subway and hooking it up to an available heavy rail line. I don't think this is an excuse to heavy-rail Green and all the billions that would entail. Stand at Northpoint and watch Orange go by all day long over on the other side of BET. You can fork off a branch right there. You can 2 x 2 RR/RT the Link, off Red at Columbia Jct. with two full-headway mains trading off at the "X". LRT'd Urban Ring is a much better use for the Green capacity that would free up than a full Anderson-via-Somerville branch that'll suck up 1-1/2 times the D's ridership and make it 1959 all over again for the other branches.

I maintain that heavy-rail Green is something that absolutely needs to be done eventually, and if we're going to jettison for anything, we jettison for that. The Link absolutely needs to be 4-tracks commuter/intercity rail with the amount of traffic I would anticipate coming through it, forking the Orange Line is a great way to screw over Sullivan and everything north of it, and the Blue Line isn't even a real choice. That really only leaves the Green Line (or some sort of ultra-wacky Mass Ave Subway double-back via Porter Square to jettison BOTH GLX branches, which is really almost too zany to even put to text.)

Riverbank Subway as an extension of Green Line Heavy Rail to keep the conversion from fouling over the many branches that would otherwise run through the Central Subway, alternatively, convert the subway and run LRT down the Riverbank as some kind of scenic touristy thing.

Otherwise, I would think that there's probably some way to balance the D and an Anderson Green Line Branch against each other to keep things from getting too messy through the Central Subway.

Didn't they look at the Orange Line branch alt and discard it awhile ago?

Really, forking the Orange Line is going to hurt traffic to Sullivan Square and everywhere north of it, which is kind of... bad.

I'm curious- it's generally said that forking the Orange Line is a bad idea due to the ridership north of where it would branch- but wasn't the MBTA itself essentially planning to branch it with the express setup?

What's wrong with employee-only stops that makes you so "infuriated" (your word)? FFS that's 140 less cars on the road.

What's wrong with employee-only stops that makes you so "infuriated" (your word)? FFS that's 140 less cars on the road.

A company shuttle would equate to 139 less vehicles on the road, also, I'm fairly certain GE Aviation is not the only plant an active passenger line ever passes through, yet it's the only one that manages to get a place on the Commuter Rail schedule and several stops a day.

Like I said, it's the lack of access that infuriates me. A stop is a stop and - however minor it may be - still a drag on the schedule, especially once the stops start piling up.

Also, a West Lynn stop up at Commercial Street, about 1/4 mile past River Works, would have the exact same impact on the schedule as River Works but without having to be locked down to employees only.

Back