Crazy Transit Pitches

Yeah but by burying the rapid transit we couldnt have bustitution. Look at all the cities which used to have streetcars, and you'll find the ones without tunnels are no longer around for the most part.

You both are probably right. Just a hypothesis I cooked up while reading that article about Zurich.

...And there's the map the T should be using. Tomorrow.

Agreed. It's very nice. Well, obviously lots of little things to be worked out, like text placement, and I'm not sure that doing color shades like that is allowed, but whatever.

If you do ever get around to fixing it up, here's some things:

"College Ave" misspelled. Also, the "D" line will go here, and the "E" will go to Union Square.

Missing stations: "Wood Island" (Blue), "Chiswick Road" (Green B), "Tappan Way" (Green C), "Englewood Ave" (Green C), "Brandon Hall" (Green C), "St Paul St" (Green B & C) and "Silver Line Way" (SL).

"Tufts" has no apostrophe. "Pleasant St" misspelled. "Kendall" misspelled.

Your maps freaking rock, love the way these look. You shouldve entered them for the contest a couple months ago.

Your maps freaking rock, love the way these look. You shouldve entered them for the contest a couple months ago.

Thanks man. I am working on the current system map for shits and grins. I wish the SL would be classified as a regular bus route as it pretty much is to Dudley. I personally find it stupid how hyped this line is when it is really just an articulated bus painted silver with some lane dedication.

Agreed. All the heavily used bus routes should receive that kind of consideration: dedicated lanes, better bus stops, signal priority, and (something not done on the SL) faster boarding and better fare payment options.

125l408.jpg

I think it might still need some work, but that's how I'd do the current system.

125l408.jpg

I think it might still need some work, but that's how I'd do the current system.

That's pretty damn good. I might try to tug Reservoir right up against that C circle at Cleveland Circle - those 2 stations are much closer together than CC and Chestnut Hill Ave, and your map makes them look symmetrical.

I love the way this makes Chelsea, Harvard and Dudley really look like the hubs they are. The current T map definitely fails at that, since it's too cluttered and busy to tell where things come together.

You probably need to show at least transfers for commuter rail, too, at N/S Station, BBY, Porter, Forest Hills, Chelsea and the Quincy/Braintree stops.

Awesome job. Still, not even the best of map creators can untangle the mess they made of Silver Line service downtown. I imagine that was a bit of a time sink for you, as well it should have been. If a service can't be illustrated using a simple line on a system diagram - and instead needs to be portrayed as a twisting series of overlapping spaghetti noodles - then something is very wrong with the service itself.

Agreed on the Silver Line downtown. Your solution with the arcs is extremely elegant.

The GLX to Medford should probably be stretched out a bit farther. About as far out as Malden Ctr is.

Awesome job. Still, not even the best of map creators can untangle the mess they made of Silver Line service downtown. I imagine that was a bit of a time sink for you, as well it should have been. If a service can't be illustrated using a simple line on a system diagram - and instead needs to be portrayed as a twisting series of overlapping spaghetti noodles - then something is very wrong with the service itself.

100% with you on that one..

You probably need to show at least transfers for commuter rail, too, at N/S Station, BBY, Porter, Forest Hills, Chelsea and the Quincy/Braintree stops.

Awesome map design. For the Commuter Rail, don't forget Ruggles, Malden Center and JFK/UMass as well.

Perfection is in the details! Just noticed: MBTA stands for Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, not Metro Boston Transit Authority - unless that name change is part of your map redesign as well!

Future_MBTA_System_Map_Olympics_Version.jpg

I tried to make this bigger. I'll do the same for the non-crazy pitch one as well.

Perfection is in the details! Just noticed: MBTA stands for Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, not Metro Boston Transit Authority - unless that name change is part of your map redesign as well!

It is actually! It's my idea that the Incompetent Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority may one day be disbanded and formed into a new entity without having to sacrifice the original acronym.

It is actually! It's my idea that the Incompetent Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority may one day be disbanded and formed into a new entity without having to sacrifice the original acronym.

Well, you can have that name or you can have rail service to Providence and Manchester. You likely can't have both...

That was my reasoning behind mass(T)ransit. Its still the T, but with a new name to show off its new service. Plus I love homonyms for company names.

One thing about terminating the (A) at Oak Square: the car barn is long gone, replaced by the YMCA. So you can't really have tracks that just terminate there. It needs to go to Watertown Yard, where at least there's some storage space still, may as well run revenue service there.

Back