34499752760_7e29b0b52c_b.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
customshouse1.jpg

customshouse2.jpg

customshouse3.jpg

customshouse4.jpg

customshouse5.jpg

I've always been a big fan of the Customs House. Wrote a paper about it in undergrad.
I realize this reply is coming out of the blue 14 going on 15 years AFTER your post, but I believe the Custom Tower is THE most iconic tower in Boston, and will probably have that distinction forever, in my opinion of course - some will say the Pru or 200 Clarendon, but I go with the Custom Tower. It is amazing that when this tower was proposed, ca. 1911, the anti-high rise NIMBY progenitors of the anti-high rise, anti-development Bostonians alive today railed with indignant horror at the thought of ANY building taller than a mere 125 FT being built in downtown Boston. In those early 20th Century days, women could wear hats with 10 to maybe 20 FT wide brims, but tall buildings? NO WAY! Yep, Boston has and will always have the anti-tall building, anti-"shadite" contingent to deal with forever!!

I realize this reply is coming out of the blue 14 going on 15 years AFTER your post, but I believe the Custom Tower is THE most iconic tower in Boston, and will probably have that distinction forever, in my opinion of course - some will say the Pru or 200 Clarendon, but I go with the Custom Tower. It is amazing that when this tower was proposed, ca. 1911, the anti-high rise NIMBY progenitors of the anti-high rise, anti-development Bostonians alive today railed with indignant horror at the thought of ANY building taller than a mere 125 FT being built in downtown Boston. In those early 20th Century days, women could wear hats with 10 to maybe 20 FT wide brims, but tall buildings? NO WAY! Yep, Boston has and will always have the anti-tall building, anti-"shadite" contingent to deal with forever!!

And the only reason the tower was built was that it was an existing federal building getting some extra floors so Boston's height laws didn't apply and it's why it stayed the tallest building in Boston for so long.

Back