Dana-Farber Cancer Center | 1 Joslin Place | Longwood

Reaction score
According to a legal notice that Dana-Farber shared with the Business Journal, the building would be an approximately 688,100 square foot, 300-bed adult inpatient hospital facility. It would also include building a tunnel under, and a bridge over, Brookline Avenue to connect the new building to Dana-Farber’s existing facility.
Meanwhile, Brigham told the Business Journal that it also intends to build a new facility. Details of that plan are not yet available.

1 joslin place, the building that would be replaced.

415-435-Brookline-Ave-Boston-MA-Primary-Building-View-1-Large.jpg

Loopnet

Aw man. Time marches on and all that, but that brutalist/pomo combination is exactly what I dig.

What’s the history of that building? I assume the PoMo was a later addition.

They haven't made clear where Joslin Clinic is going. It's not like the number of diabetics is declining.

They haven't made clear where Joslin Clinic is going. It's not like the number of diabetics is declining.
My understanding was relocation of Joslin services to existing BIDMC space in the neighborhood.

Dana-Farber, Beth Israel fill in some of the details of proposed Longwood cancer hospital
1702315291626.png

Rough sketch of the proposed new building.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center today filed an "institutional master plan" with details, if not architectural renderings, of their proposed 14-story cancer hospital on what is now the site of the Joslin Diabetes Center.
In their filing with the BPDA, the two said Boston is going to need a lot more cancer-specific beds over the coming decade because of a rise in the number of cancer patients - as many as 384 more beds by 2030.
Also, there is a need to keep up with the Joneses, in this case, institutions such as New York's Memorial-Sloan Kettering and Houston's MD Anderson Cancer Center, which are adding beds. Dana-Farber currently uses 30 inpatient beds at Brigham and Women's; the new hospital, which would be New England's first cancer-specific hospital, would have approximately 300 in-patient beds and 20 "observation" beds, along with room for related clinical facilities.
To make way for it, the Joslin center would be moved to Beth Israel's Shapiro Center on the other side of Brookline Avenue.
The proposed building, which, in addition to the BPDA would also have to be approved by state healthcare regulators, represents a break between Dana-Farber and Mass General Brigham, which have a formal affiliation that runs until 2028.
An enclosed "connector" walkway at the third floor would link the building to BI's Farr building - which would give quick access to the Dana-Farber beds for patients admitted through the Beth Israel emergency room.
Many cancer patients, because of complications, present for urgent treatment at emergency departments. In collaboration with BIDMC, BIDMC will stabilize and treat such patients in its emergency department, who in the absence of the Pilgrim Road Connector, would otherwise need to be transported by ambulance across Joslin Park for admission [to Dana-Farber beds].
Left out of the plans: How to connect the new building with Dana-Farber's existing facilities on the other side of Brookline Avenue. The plan calls for discussions with the BPDA and other city agencies about whether to build a tunnel underneath the busy street or another above-ground walkway above it.
Beth Israel will own the building and lease the above-ground floors to Dana-Farber.
The building would have 250 parking spaces in an underground garage accessed via Pilgrim Road. The main entrance to the building would be on the road now known as Joslin Place.
1 Joslin Pl. Hospital filings.

Nice to see the plans for the multiple extensions of the skybridge network - it makes a huge quality of life difference for patients and employees. Between the Brigham "Pike" and the Farber 3rd floor, I think you'll be able to walk from one end of Francis Street to the other entirely indoors.

I'm also glad they seem to be replacing at least some the retail along the current Joslin building. One underappreciated thing I hope they keep, either replaced in the new building or relocated along with the Joslin services, is the set of six "history of medicine" reliefs that border Joslin Park. One of the only elements worth saving about the existing building IMO.

1702346786644.png

The Boston Globe - unbelievable - never fails to amaze: 'Sure, let's criticize the addition of hundreds of care beds for cancer patients - - - because the rehab/nursing home industry can't do the same'. Not unlike the dogma in education holding back the achiever kids until the rest can catch up. This is the sinking of our society.

Nice to see the plans for the multiple extensions of the skybridge network - it makes a huge quality of life difference for patients and employees. Between the Brigham "Pike" and the Farber 3rd floor, I think you'll be able to walk from one end of Francis Street to the other entirely indoors.

I'm also glad they seem to be replacing at least some the retail along the current Joslin building. One underappreciated thing I hope they keep, either replaced in the new building or relocated along with the Joslin services, is the set of six "history of medicine" reliefs that border Joslin Park. One of the only elements worth saving about the existing building IMO.

View attachment 45561
They should expand this to match the friezes on the old medical school in Paris....

Looks like they tried to stretch too small of a bandaid around it.

I’m not sure fad architecture is really the right look for what’s generally regarded as one of the preeminent cancer centers in the would. Sedate yet dignified with the highest quality materials possible would seem so much more appropriate. Here more than anywhere, what matters most is what happens on the inside. Also, with their contract with Brigham expiring in 2028 setting out on what could be an unnecessarily lengthy design review process seems imprudent.

Last edited:
Payette is pretty good at bringing high quality designs. Really hoping they and Morris Adjmi get some more commissions in Boston and dislodge Elkus Manfredi's death grip on so much of the region (even if they've stepped it up a bit recently).

Looks like they tried to stretch too small of a bandaid around it.

I’m not sure fad architecture is really the right look for what’s generally regarded as one of the preeminent cancer centers in the would. Sedate yet dignified with the highest quality materials possible would seem so much more appropriate. Here more than anywhere, what matters most is what happens on the inside. Also, with their contract with Brigham expiring in 2028 setting out on what could be an unnecessarily lengthy design review process seems imprudent.

Mass timber could really create a cozy, warm and welcoming place for patients imo.

Back