DCR Parkways Study

This would be amazing. I'm a frequent 73 rider, and occasional 71 rider. This stretch of Mt Auburn is one of the highest bus ridership corridors in the system. We need this so badly.

Interesting that you've selected the option with a bus lane in only one direction. Do you think an Eastbound-only bus lane would work here? Do Westbound 71/73's not get snarled in traffic? Curious, as I don't use these routes.

This would be amazing. I'm a frequent 73 rider, and occasional 71 rider. This stretch of Mt Auburn is one of the highest bus ridership corridors in the system. We need this so badly.
Would you prefer the "both directions" bus-and-bike lane? I think I would. This would necessitate some kind of passing lane system (as shown in the single-bus-lane concepts, where bikes swing wide at bus stops)

Some kind of system that let bikes be passed by buses on "straightaways" and bikes pass buses at stops seems required (I believe that other places that have bus-and-bike lanes have more space at stops)

The primary design goal has to be to speed bus trips inbound (and I say this as a bike commuter...the 71/73 are buses that richly deserve higher operating speeds).

Despite being a huge fan of lanes having bus-with-bike, there doesn't seem to be the right amount of space for it here. I think it works better where there are 2 "regular" car lanes, rather than 1 scary one (as shown). I'd rather see the bikes pushed onto some kind of shared-with-pedestrians system.

To be clear, I'd like to see the bus lanes both ways, but then a better bike/ped/stop bypass system:
v62e61m.png

Last edited:
Given that you've got a long stretch fronting a cemetery, is it plausible to put a two-way cycletrack on that side and a sidewalk on the other between Belmont and Fresh Pond?

Interesting that you've selected the option with a bus lane in only one direction. Do you think an Eastbound-only bus lane would work here? Do Westbound 71/73's not get snarled in traffic? Curious, as I don't use these routes.

It's an interesting debate. They are both good options. I frequently use this corridor: always by bike or bus.

The worst backups on this stretch are always eastbound. Buses get snarled in eastbound traffic far more often than westbound traffic. Usually, these backups start at the Fresh Pond or Coolidge Ave lights.

----

Non-expert speculation:

The difference in westbound versus eastbound traffic is probably because of the lower capacity on Mount Auburn east of here, combined with the fact that a lot of vehicles merge on this stretch from Belmont Street (including the 73 bus) and Aberdeen Ave. Going westbound, on the other hand, capacity increases and splits onto Aberdeen, and Belmont St.

----

Even in the afternoon peak, traffic is usually comparable, if only slightly worse in westbound direction. The rest of the day, backups are worse in the eastbound direction, especially during the morning peak.

So, the clear biggest need is an eastbound bus lane. Then, the debate is between westbound bus lane or bike separation. This is a legitimate debate. In my extensive experience on this corridor, I will take the bike separation over the westbound bus lane.

Given that you've got a long stretch fronting a cemetery, is it plausible to put a two-way cycletrack on that side and a sidewalk on the other between Belmont and Fresh Pond?

Doubt it. Very pinched sidewalk on both sides up until Brattle St. Lots of curb cuts on the westbound sidewalk. Lots of lampposts and trolley poles on both sides making eating the grass median to the curb a futile effort (maybe put streetlights on the trolley poles to halve the obstructions?).

One way to do it would be:

1) Cycle track on the side of that fat plaza in front of Star, to Brattle.
2) Cycle track on Brattle to Fresh Pond light.
3) Through Lowell Park, to the Mt. Auburn light, then in front of the hospital on the compacted parkway to the Charles path.

Little bit of a detour around the block but it's got the room, the lower traffic volumes, and better-spaced curb cuts.

So what is the process and time-frame changes such as the bus lanes? I saw that they want to have a final report done in October of this year. But after that, where does this study go because some of these changes are great and should be implemented asap?

Last edited:
Bus+bike lanes are miserable and unfortunately very common in the UK.

They are starting to install bus stop bypasses for bikes in some places. For some reason, people complain about them. But people complain about everything.

In general mixing bikes and motor vehicles is a bad idea -- people are soft and light weight -- motor vehicles are heavy and hard -- people on bikes are just people moving a bit faster

Collisions between fast moving heavy objects and light objects are bad for the soft and light objects

In some cities in Poland {e.g. Gdansk} outside the core of the city -- they have travel corridors with roads for motor vehicles and raised sidewalks / bike lanes for people and bikes and often surface rail transit lines as well

The sidewalks have a dedicated people-only lane and a second wider lane [with distinctive color] primarily for bikes which can be used by people in the absence of bikes

ok_adka.jpg

All of the travel modes have their own traffic signals and signs to optimize movement based on the dynamics of the mode [acceleration, and braking]
lenartowicza1.jpg

In general mixing bikes and motor vehicles is a bad idea -- people are soft and light weight -- motor vehicles are heavy and hard -- people on bikes are just people moving a bit faster

Collisions between fast moving heavy objects and light objects are bad for the soft and light objects

In some cities in Poland {e.g. Gdansk} outside the core of the city -- they have travel corridors with roads for motor vehicles and raised sidewalks / bike lanes for people and bikes and often surface rail transit lines as well

The sidewalks have a dedicated people-only lane and a second wider lane [with distinctive color] primarily for bikes which can be used by people in the absence of bikes

ok_adka.jpg

All of the travel modes have their own traffic signals and signs to optimize movement based on the dynamics of the mode [acceleration, and braking]
lenartowicza1.jpg

Rather than going to Poland, you can visit Western Ave in Cambridge, where there is a raised bike lane of a different color next to the sidewalk and signals for cyclists.

I would like to see a one-way cycle track or bike lane on each side of Mt Auburn St, one travel lane in each direction, and one eastbound bus lane.

Rather than going to Poland, you can visit Western Ave in Cambridge, where there is a raised bike lane of a different color next to the sidewalk and signals for cyclists.

Or Concord Ave right off of Fresh Pond rotaries.

As far as the proposal goes, boy, where do I start (with my non-expert opinion, though I know the area very well)
Pulls from this:
UQsPLo0.png

I like this proposal, but I see a very large problem - ever try to go westbound during the evening rush period? What's going to happen to all the cars merging in right now from Brattle, where are they going to go when Brattle backs up with drivers trying to make the right turn onto Mt. Auburn westbound?

Pulls from this:
vOWBwIq.png

This one... All right, let's go through it one-by-one:
Fresh Pond SB
I like it, I don't know why it's 3 lanes wide anyway with one lane unmarked. However, there are quite a few vehicles making a right turn from FP SB onto Mt. Auburn westbound (and many immediately getting into the left-turn lane to go to Target/Home Depot). That should not be made more difficult (and given that everyone is always doing 40mph there, a slow, tight right turn there could potentially cause collisions since now people won't have another lane to drive in). This WILL create more backups though as storage will be reduced for the rush periods.

North side of intersection on Fresh Pond
Adding sidewalks there is a fantastic idea. So is cutting back the curb (it's always fun to play the game of "see if westbound traffic swerves into your lane while crossing the intersection"). It's also very tight in the winter time with snow on the ground.

Fresh Pond turning left onto Mt. Auburn WB
I'm not very fond of the reduction to a single left-turn lane. I've seen quite a bit of traffic trying to take a left there. Then again, usually it's not a huge issue, so it may end up working out just fine.

Mt. Auburn EB turning onto Fresh Pond SB
A fan of extending the curb and adding a shared use path (or at least fixing it, the path there is horrendous). Too many people flying by onto FP SB, especially trying to beat the red light; the extended curb will make them think twice.

Mt. Auburn EB
This is my biggest concern - right now going across the intersection and onto Mt. Auburn eastbound is kind of sketchy. You sit in a narrow storage lane (which fits maybe 3-4 cars), hoping that you don't get side-swiped by westbound traffic that shaves the turn, hoping that you don't get rear-ended or side-swiped by traffic zipping by and funneling right onto Fresh Pond SB, and when you get your chance to go, you gotta watch out for smartasses who pass everyone on the right and cut you off right at the point where Mt. Auburn becomes 1 lane and where NB Fresh Pond traffic is also trying to cut you off to merge onto Mt. Auburn EB.
It seems they are proposing to take away the left-turn lane (really, the "continue EB on Mt. Auburn" lane) and have people block the left lane. This will create massive backups.

What they REALLY need to do is paint the whole intersection with "DO NOT BLOCK" grids and signs... and make the NO LEFT TURN signs bigger. And paint guide lines for those massholes who can't continue following the imaginary lane markings. And start ticketing people who block the intersection.

I like the bus/bike lanes. There are quite a few individuals biking through that area and I have to say they're braver than I am (I won't bike on Mt. Auburn, don't even mention the intersection). I'd like to see a dedicated leading cyclist light at the Aberdeen intersection. It's pretty treacherous with many cars gunning to take that right onto Aberdeen; the cyclists should have a chance to start moving. And those buses are some of the most heavily traveled routes from what I've seen, no point in them sitting in traffic.
However, I'd hate to see what would happen to the morning rush on Mt. Auburn EB. I've sat in jams where it took me 30 minutes to go from Sofra to the intersection in question.

Morrissey is up for redesign too, there's a kick off meeting in a couple weeks:
SE4ZT1d.jpg

Morrissey Boulevard Reconstruction Project Design

Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) User Experience Survey

The DCR is seeking feedback for the Morrissey Boulevard Reconstruction Project Design. This project was presented at the public meeting held on March 28, 2016 at the Leahy Holloran Community Center in Dorchester, Massachusetts. The presentation is available on the DCR's website at http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/public-outreach/public-meetings/. The DCR will be accepting public comments, including all survey responses, through Monday, April 18. The survey includes question on pedestrian experience, bicycle experience, vehicular experience, abutting business experience, general parkway character, and inundation/flooding topics. You may answer questions for all sections, or skip sections if you do not wish to provide feedback on those topics. There is also an open response question at the end of the survey for general comments.

Take the Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/morrisseyboulevardreconstructionprojectdesign

Morrissey Boulevard Reconstruction Project Design

Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) User Experience Survey

The presentation is available on the DCR's website at http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/public-outreach/public-meetings/.

Maybe I'm having a bad morning, but I can't see a link to the presentation there. I see three links to: the meeting notice (that scipio had posted earlier), the request for comments, and the link to the survey (which you reposted). I do not see the presentation or a link to it.

Maybe I'm having a bad morning, but I can't see a link to the presentation there. I see three links to: the meeting notice (that scipio had posted earlier), the request for comments, and the link to the survey (which you reposted). I do not see the presentation or a link to it.

I don't either. I just asked MassDCR on Twitter.

Livable Streets published a great piece about the DCR's history as a highway department and its recent shift towards multimodal travel.
http://www.livablestreets.info/park...edium=email&utm_source=livablestreetsalliance

Although there are a lot of promising signs out of the DCR recently, the article notes that underfunding, patronage hiring, and understaffing are hobbling its ability to make any real improvements. Even once the parkways study this thread is about is complete the agency has little ability to actually implement anything.

Livable Streets published a great piece about the DCR's history as a highway department and its recent shift towards multimodal travel.
http://www.livablestreets.info/park...edium=email&utm_source=livablestreetsalliance

Although there are a lot of promising signs out of the DCR recently, the article notes that underfunding, patronage hiring, and understaffing are hobbling its ability to make any real improvements. Even once the parkways study this thread is about is complete the agency has little ability to actually implement anything.

Thankfully -- if the proposal for Fresh Pond @ Mt. Auburn is any indication -- as road planners let them stick to pedestrian and bike paths in the woods -- they apparently know nothing about the use of that piece of "Parkway" -- if there was a way to do it -- it should be widened all the way from Alewife to the junction with Mem and Storrow

Lanes, signals, and traffic fixes pitched in latest Morrissey Blvd design update

The last public meeting was held last September, when initial design concepts were presented. According to the timeline laid out at Tuesday’s meeting, DCR expects to have a session at 75 percent design in October. Eyeing January 2018 for completed design, the department anticipates a pre-construction final meeting in the fall of 2018.

Since the September meeting, designers have updated bicycle and pedestrian connections, including two-way cycle tracks between Mt. Vernon Street and Bianculli Boulevard at the entrance to UMass Boston. The beach access area for boat launches near the Savin Hill Yacht Club has been moved 300 feet north with the addition of a 18- to 24-inch high retaining wall and a slope of riprap, or protective stone.

A traffic signal at Victory Road would allow U-turns in both directions and left turns in the southbound direction. Traffic changes at Neponset Circle would allow two-way circulation under I-93. In another distinct difference, Beades Bridge would be reduced to two lanes in each direction, with wider ADA-compliant sidewalks.

One element consumed conversation – a controversial plan to drop a full traffic lane is still included in the design. This prompted some back and forth between residents insistent that traffic will be unbearable and engineers, who say a better-organized route will minimally leave traffic unchanged and likely improve the overall flow of vehicles.

Another traffic alteration just past the Red Line overpass prompted concern, as a southbound-to-northbound U-turn near a Dunkin’ Donuts would be eliminated. Drivers would have to continue along through Neponset to turn around, which some said was worrying because of limited sightlines.

Bicyclists who spoke at the meeting were pleased. Bike paths travel along the entire length of the boulevard, mostly as two-way lanes. Near the Red Line underpass, however, the lane narrows and a one-way bike route hugs the turn, buffered by a guardrail.

http://www.dotnews.com/2017/lanes-signals-and-traffic-fixes-pitched-latest-morrissey-blvd-design-u

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dcr/ne...0170627-dcr-morrissey-blvd-public-meeting.pdf

Back