"Dirty Old Boston"

Really old
1618548564664.png

Really dirty
Central Artery construction from Custom House Tower by Boston Public Library, on Flickr

Really Boston
1618548616935.png

From 1969
1618548694541.png

That photo is clearly years (even decades) before my time, and yet other than the cars and the skyline it's almost exactly how I remember that part of Southie from my childhood. That section's not even all that different today.

In the picture of City Point there is a building on the beach with two small floating docks. Not too long ago that was a restaurant that you could tie a small fishing boat up at and get really good fried clams. Then, just to make the day more fun you could go eat them on a small island.

In the picture of City Point there is a building on the beach with two small floating docks. Not too long ago that was a restaurant that you could tie a small fishing boat up at and get really good fried clams. Then, just to make the day more fun you could go eat them on a small island.
Kelly's Landing. Closed when I was a kid, which was a shame as we would get hot dogs there occasionally when we were at the beach. Now just a small park.

"Whoever heard of an Indian with weak or sore eyes?"

I have no idea what that even means.

Yea... I was having a hard time trying to make that one out as well... my best guess is its a play on the trope of Native American gazes generally being pretty powerful and calm looking? I dunno...

I'm always struck by the lack of street trees in a lot of these old photos. Definitely something I appreciate about much of Boston now.

This isn't Storrow. That was before Storrow and just from Beacon St to Cambridge St. It was eventually subsumed by Storrow.

I think that if we were to eliminate Storrow for good this section wouldn't see traffic but would be converted into a pedestrian mall. But I don't think Storrow is ever going to be eliminated.

This isn't Storrow. That was before Storrow and just from Beacon St to Cambridge St. It was eventually subsumed by Storrow.

I think that if we were to eliminate Storrow for good this section wouldn't see traffic but would be converted into a pedestrian mall. But I don't think Storrow is ever going to be eliminated.
If Storrow were to be eliminated from Charlesgate to Arlington Street, then something like the above photo would be appropriate for the remaining section from Arlington St. to the Charles River Dam (without the on-street parking of course!). I have hopes that the Charlesgate to Arlington St. section (and also west of Charlesgate) will be eliminated eventually if additional on/off ramps for the Mass Pike provide replacement service of sorts, along with additional transit lines.

Sorry for abusing this thread, but didn't you guys want more of the original 1POSq lobby?

So tacky. I love it, probably only because there's nothing quite like that anymore anywhere.

YESSS that was me specifically asking for lobby photos -- THANK YOU!

I know it's tacky but of all the office lobbies I've been in (and I've been in a lot) that one always stood out as being warmer and richer than all the others, especially considering so many lobbies go for an aggressively cold feeling. If nothing else it was memorable, even moreso now that every new interior has to be gray/white.

Back