Distant views of Boston

gregrc75

Reaction score
What are some of the distant locations you were able to spy the Boston skyline? There are the obvious places like the Blue Hills but what other locations are there?

Some of the most distant I have found are:
Summit of Mt. Monadnock near Keen NH approx 63 miles
Top of Pilgrim Monument in Provincetown approx 50 miles
Summit of Mt. Wachusett approx 45 miles
Worcester Airport approx 45 miles
5th floor of Charlton Hospital in Fall River, MA approx 44 miles

As I recall, you can see Boston from one or two of the hills in Breakheart Reservation (Saugus/Wakefield). The view I recall was made possible by a clearing that was made in addition to a new pathway that was made, so this may be grown out by now.

I had no idea you could see Boston from Fall River. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing these locales!

I was going to mention a hill crest on eastbound Route 2 along the Arlington-Belmont line, but that's nothing compared to your examples.

Rafe's Chasm in Magnolia (Gloucester). I'd imagine you could see Boston from Eastern Point in Gloucester too, but I've never been out there.

Rafe's Chasm in Magnolia (Gloucester). I'd imagine you could see Boston from Eastern Point in Gloucester too, but I've never been out there.

Yep, you can see it from Eastern Point Lighthouse, and you can see it from the road to Rocky Neck, on occasion.

I'd guess that if you were lucky enough to get to the top of one of the towers of the Mt. Hope or Pell/Newport Bridges, you'd be able to see Boston as well.

The access road to the standpipe on Greenleaf Mountain in Burlington affords a nice view of Boston. Also, the hill just south of the Mill Pond Reservoir, also in Burlington, has a nice view of Boston as well as the North Shore. I recall seeing the Danvers State Hospital from there too, using binoculars.

I had no idea you could see Boston from Fall River. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing these locales!

Yes, but just barely. You can see the Blue Hills and only the tops of the Hancock and Pru. It is so distant they look like "bumps" on the horizon but with binoculars it is more clear.

Thanks for the other locations! I always find this interesting.

The access road to the standpipe on Greenleaf Mountain in Burlington affords a nice view of Boston. Also, the hill just south of the Mill Pond Reservoir, also in Burlington, has a nice view of Boston as well as the North Shore. I recall seeing the Danvers State Hospital from there too, using binoculars.

Didn't realize Burlington had these views. I will have to check it out. Also in Burlington, you can see it from Route 95. It's the middle Burlington exit (exit 33 I think) and there is an A and a B (Burlington one way, Winchester the other). In the middle of those the highway passes over an overpass, and if you look right (coming North from the mall) or left coming south, you get a great and fleeting view of the entire skyline.

Also you can see it on the mass pike just before the exit for 95. (or maybe while getting off that exit)

You can see it from the shore on the lynn/swampscott line (near nahant rotary, just north of it)

If you are on 93 north and you pass the 95 interchange, you can see it from the ramp of the next exit in Woburn (forget the name but it's the one with the Target, also it's kind of dangerous to look)

For hiking, there is Monadnock already mentioned, also Blue Hills has a tower and multiple closer peaks with great views, The Fells has a great view, and Noanet (in Dover I think) has a strange view of it from afar.

Ron, the hill crest on Route 2 has a park that runs parallel to it (behind the stone water tower at the park ave exit) and this park has absolutely ridiculous views of the city.

Ok that's it for now.

What are some of the distant locations you were able to spy the Boston skyline? There are the obvious places like the Blue Hills but what other locations are there?

Some of the most distant I have found are:
Summit of Mt. Monadnock near Keen NH approx 63 miles
Top of Pilgrim Monument in Provincetown approx 50 miles
Summit of Mt. Wachusett approx 45 miles
Worcester Airport approx 45 miles
5th floor of Charlton Hospital in Fall River, MA approx 44 miles

Greg -- very impressive

My favorite distant view is straight ahead while driving on the Pike toward Boston in the vicinity of Natick / Framingham -- you see the top of the Pru and JH and nothing else -- then as you continue east and the road dips a bit you lose even those two

you can see it from Pearl Hill in Fitchburg,almost the same view u see from Mt Wachussetts,I have a pix somewhere?

Back