DNA Lofts in Boston

UrbanCommunities

Reaction score
A new residential development is about to hit the market, this one is called DNA Lofts and should be opening to the public next week.

This is how the development team describes it:

DNA Lofts at 944 Dorchester Ave., a truly unique conversion of an old printing press into modern and creative live-in loft spaces.

The 3 story building consists of 60 residential units with 2 elevators, garage parking, an impressive roof deck, a courtyard and an exterior parking lot.

These loft style homes are available in a number of different floor plans, they all have multiple oversized double-pane windows, bamboo or polished concrete floors, high ceilings, some with mezzanines, exposed beams, top of the line kitchens with black granite tops and stainless steel appliances. Great views, proximity to public transportation, the beach and area restaurants are just some of the amenities you?ll find at DNA Lofts.

Prices start in the mid $200Ks with parking.

Here are some recent photos of DNA Lofts:

P1020292.jpg

P1020274.jpg

P1020300.jpg

P1020271.jpg

Last edited:
This is right around the corner from where I live - it's a very dense, very urban-looking project and I am praying it will be successful. It had been known as "Crescent Court" which was a horrible name for urban product, but apparently the marketing hasn't begun in full yet. I like the new name, but don't "get it"

The obstructionist Savin Hill community group would not allow retail on the ground floor, so to the Dot Ave streetscape, this is a unfortunately a dead block.

From the people that I know who really and truly know this market, this property is over-priced and will probably have a fire sale or (more likely) become rentals. Look to the Carruth for an example of overly-aggresive pricing in a transitional market and you'll see the results (0 units sold)

The construction/brickwork looks great in person by the way - they really got the details down right. I like this development a lot and think the developer has done a great job with the product - I'm just praying they'll get the branding, marketing, pricing and selling done right too.

Last edited:
I have been in it and it is awesome, the windows are huge, some have 16+ foot ceilings, the roof deck is really nice, most views are great. I think it will do well, if you are looking for a condo in the neighborhood your only choices are converted triple deckers with no parking, elevator or a/c.. I also live in the neighborhood and have noticed a good number of South Enders transitioning to this area.

I moved here from the South End - but I live in a fully renovated (with parking and central a/c) Victorian condo, I left the whole brick loft thing when I left the South End. Hey - I hope they go gang-busters and sell out every single unit at huge prices, my real estate friends seem to think they're shooting for the moon on a $/SF basis. The developers of the Carruth had the same angle "Well, there's nothing quite like it in this market, it's way better than anything" and what they're finding is that is not necessarily a good thing. Anyway, I'm pysched they did away with the Crescent Court name (sounds like an assisted living facility in Walpole) and think the DNA Lofts name could make for some fun marketing/branding.

Hey all.
New to ArchBoston - excited to become more involved.

I have heard some whispers on this DNA Lofts in DOT ... great to see some pictures. CBRB New Homes division is marketing this project, right?

On note of the Carruth & Schoolhouse at Lower Mills - I think you are going to see these developments get very aggressive pricing..well I know Schoohouse is already there.

Aggressive pricing = Fire Sale

There are three major condo developments in Dorchester:

1) The Schoolhouse - 100 units, developer trying to create a new upscale market for the area. Results: 0 sold

2) The Carruth - 65(?) units, developer trying to create a new upscale market for the area. Results: 0 sold

3) DNA Lofts - 60-70 units - developer is trying to create a new upscale market...

uh oh...

There is a lot going for DNA Lofts though, it's very close to the JFK T Stop, and it's very close to I-93 - access is incredible and the construction and quality is very good (according to several people who have been inside). But it needs some amenities to justify a high price - where's the pool, the fitness center, etc?

Right now everything is speculation b/c nothing has been announced, but the developers that I know (from local offices) have labeled this one a possible disaster-in-the-making. I certainly hope not - it's a great building in a great location - but I think JimboJones can attest to what happens when developers ignore the advice of the market's leading real estate brokers.

Last edited:
The problem is there is not an unlimited market for "luxury" condos and apartments. The developers seem to think there is. What there is a market for is moderately priced housing that is a good value. It seems to me that if you're trying to bring new people into an area that is "up-and-coming", the people you should be appealing to are those in their 20s and 30s who are looking to buy a place, are willing to take a risk on a neighborhood, but don't have $400K and up to spend.

Welcome, CondoDomain. I hope you enjoy this blog as much as I do and contribute freely your thoughts and opinions. We're here to entertain all possibilities!!

The prices for Carruth and Schoolhouse are in the low- to mid-$200,000s, and up. And there are only 60 units at the Schoolhouse.

I think those are fair prices.

Anyway, let's talk architecture, not real estate price!

Last edited:
Prices start in the mid 200s, but only after several price reductions and many months sitting on the market without any units at all sold.

As for the architecture of these DNA Lofts, I have some great photos but not here on this computer - I'll post them this weekend - the brickwork is great and I really like the windows. The renovation of the existing building looks great but the new addition is a little clumsy with the fourth floor (wood?) panels instead of brick... they did an odd dance of matching the existing building with the new building, but I will withhold judgement until its done. Overall though, I really like this project.

I also know that the Savin Hill community group got their meddling snouts in this project and dumbed it down quite a bit from what was possible. I still can't believe this is on Dot Ave and there is no ground floor retail! The huge windows on the old building look absolutely fantastic - I'm very excited for this project to get moving (a success here will make my real estate more valuable, so there's a selfish angle here too)

Any particular reason why the neighbors wouldn't want a coffee shop, cafe, dry cleaners, florist, card shop...etc. in the building other than the usual issues of density, traffic, or the sniff us, we're important thing?

I'll try to be restrained here...

The Savin Hill community group (especially the Planning Committee) is against everything. Every developer that walks in there with visions and plans is greeted by 80+ year old malcontents on fixed incomes who say things like "back when I grew up that was a single family house and people loved their kids" and the developer has to nod and pretend he's not totally dumbfounded.

Then the malcontents said (basically) "we don't want no Starbucks this is a family neighborhood - where are people gonna park? No retail! People will double-park and ambulances won't be able to get by. I used to ride my bike and back then gas cost 89 cents a gallon!"

These are very, very simple-minded people and they are allergic to any and all change, and sadly they don't have their eyes open to the blight they live in. To them, all is well, and change is bad.

The Planning Committee wants to feel empowered, so every developer has to "give" them something. The developers of DNA Lofts had to give up ground floor retail along Dorchester Avenue. Now we have a very nice, but very monolithic brick building acting as a dead zone on what should be a lively boulevard.

Every single thing that is good about my neighborhood has been opposed by these people - new townhouses, renovation projects, new storefronts, the addition of DBar, the addition of an upscale bakery/cafe, DNA Lofts, and countless home improvement projects.

What have they supported? In the two years that I've been there, nothing.

UrbanCommunities, I welcome you to please joing the civic group and try to help change the way they do things.

Thank you Pelhamhall, I will try and become more involved by joining the civic group. I did attend some of the initial meetings the developers had in order to gain neighborhood association approval.

Last edited:
No retail + surface parking = further suburbanization.

"we don't want no Starbucks this is a family neighborhood

That's right... it's a 'family' neighborhood and it needs protection.. Remind me of that when every morning the bums are lined up for Eagle Liquors at 8:15am or the drunks are still stumbling home from the Banshee and Tom English's from the night before.

Oh yes, and nothing would be worse than eliminating one stop, out of the one bus stop per every 50 feet, on DOT Ave. God help us if the malcontents walked 50 feet to the next bus stop, or 2 min down Cottage Street to JFK/UMass.

it's all the same b.s. whether is the Back Bay or DOT.. nothing can ever change easily in this city.

So don't put in a Starbucks, put in a Dunkin Donuts instead. The DD at Elm and Chester Streets in Somerville does great business next to a very busy bus stop.

Hello! I looking for a new home and I saw this DNA LOfts property a couple of weeks ago. Naturally, I've been researching online to see what's the word on the street. I must say the building is beautiful. One of the developers walked me through. The units had a lot of light and they had very interesting layouts. I don't like it when everything looks the same and this building really pulled off that feeling of having one's own unique place. I think the developers put some thought into the details inside, especially in the bathrooms and the kitchens- which were not finished, but looked promising. Maybe I like it because I'm a "girl" and little details like that attract me, but after seeing a couple of properties in southie and the south end, this one is actually at the top of my list. Pricing-wise, the developer did mention that they are still working on a couple of details, so I really don't know what the exact pricing will be...but the range i was given seemed attractive specially after seeing the pricing for other units in other areas that seem to give me less amenities. After my "informal" walk through, I really liked what this building had to offer and loved the units. Obviously, Dorchester is not the "coolest" neighborhood right now, but I think it could be in the next couple of years. What are your thoughts? Has anyone been inside? Would buying in Dorchester be a wise decision?

First off - we've got to stop calling it "Dorchester" because "Dorchester" is the size of the Fenway, Longwood/Medical, Backy Bay, Beacon Hill, North End, Downtown, Financial District AND the South End COMBINED. So while the neighborhoods in Dorchester can vary wildly from depressed housing projects to leafy suburbs, to funky/urban yuppie enclaves... it's really bad advertising to have all these disparate and unique neighborhoods going by the all-encompassing "Dorchester" name.

Savin Hill is a great area and a great investment, especially today - it's cheap and it's safe. I'll plug my neighbor's company (he was my realtor when I moved into this 'hood) - check out Just In Boston Properties - the president is the number 1 real estate agent in Dorchester in sales for the past ten years (and he's only like 30) - he'd be a good resource if you're thinking about moving here.

Also, I met with a woman who's name was Leigh Robinson (can't remember her office, I think Gibson) and she was really great - very friendly and helpful in my house-hunt and a real old-school character. Dave Gavalio (spelling?) of At Home Realty also showed me some places and was great. I was VERY timid and apprehensive about moving to this area, but now that I've been there for two years, I really love it. If you want "character" this is the 'hood for you - the baby carriages chased me out of the south end!

It's a great little area, and i think the DNA Lofts are going to be a great addition!

Thank you for the tips Pelhamhall! That's exactly what i'm looking to get out off. I live in the back bay now and although gorgeous, I want some character...and obviously more space and something i can afford. I used to live in NYC and for some reason Savin Hill reminded me of my neighborhood in Chelsea. This building (DNA Lofts) seemed to have a great location that I'm thinking will get developed over the years, and the units in the building are just so beautiful. I'll continue researching and posting more info as I find out more, but for now, I totally see myself there....

Back