DNA Lofts in Boston

Any chance of adding street-level retail in the future? Did they build it in such a way that that's possible?

I want some character...and obviously more space and something i can afford.

Make sure you check out the area's renovated old Victorian homes - fully gutted and renovated units with a/c, and all the fixin's, including garage parking have tons of character and are really cheap.

Ultimately - I'd highly recommend my hood to anyone who wants to buy, but not to anyone who wants to rent. Cheap rent can be found in better locations, but for investment value, Savin Hill is great. Jogging around the beach and the parks in the evening is one of my favorite things about the neighborhood and you just can't beat all the old Victorian houses around Savin and Jones Hill.

As for DNA Lofts, wait until they're priced and on the market for a few months and see the sales velocity before making an offer. It's a great building, but the "word on the street" on pricing is that they're going to over-price.

Anyone else get the feeling the developers are having their buddies post here?? I mean, a real live girl on archboston.org????

Excellent Pelhamhall! I'll check the victorians out! And yes, i'm a "girl" but before I get myself in trouble buying something I need to do research, right? Your comments have been very helpful!

I would contact Just In Boston Properties - they're the resident experts in that neck of Dorchester. I think they even have a guide to all the little neighborhoods that make up Dorchester (it might have been a different office that I got that at, but I seem to remember the Just In Boston Properties orange color of the booklet)

If you can find a place "over the bridge" on Savin Hill, it's really a beautiful neighborhood. The architecture is amazing and it straddles a sandy beach and is centered around Savin Hill park. The best part is right next to Savin Hill is a T station that gets you into South Station in about 15 minutes.

OH yeah! That's my other favorite part of Dorchester - Melville Park/Wellesley Park are incredibly beautiful! For those who may not know, Savin Hill is the northern-most corner of Dorchester, and Field's Corner is below it - this is where Melville Park is (roughly) located.

Thx Padre Mike!

You will most definitely see me more involved here especially in the new residential condo developments vertical.

I was so pissed off yesterday - I had a BBQ and invited a lot of my old friends from Brookline and the South End, mostly all real estate/architect types because it was Dorchester Day and there was a large festival and parade.

I can NEVER get these people to come out to Dorchester and yesterday was the perfect opportunity, and I had 20 people who were all interested in walking down the block and checking out the DNA Lofts. We get there and there's nobody there. There's a huge festival and parade going on literally at their doorstep and there isn't even a salesperson there or anything. I figured the marketing team would have it open or at least have people there to answer questions or give out info - but there was nothing. It's like the developers had no clue it was Dorchester Day and this was going to happen. Or, they decided that the people who live in the neighborhood aren't worth marketing too.

At least my friends got to see the outside, but man, what poor marketing to miss out on the one day of the year that people from outside of Dorchester actually come and visit.

By the way, that guy on the web site fixing his tie with the 1980s yearbook-style laser lights behind him is on a huge leasing banner at the property. Yikes!

The last two pages of this thread read like a commercial for real estate agents, btw.

^ I'm probably guilty of that too - and I could do more: the agent who sold me my house here e-mailed me pictures of these lofts but they're marked with his website on the bottom because he's using them for a neighborhood guide that he is putting together for out-of-market buyers- what's the policy on posting a photo with a copyright mark on the bottom? He's ok with me posting them, but is it against the rules of the board?

I walk by the DNA lofts everyday on my way to work. The quality of the construction seems to be very good. One thing I noticed before they put the ceilings in was that they installed insulation between all the floors to dampen the sound. A friend of mine bought a loft in Gateway Terrace and she had to pay an additional $15k for soundproofing. Additionally, they are adding trees and new sidewalks all the way around the building. It will be a nice addition to the neighborhood. And unlike the Carruth, these are all condos and the area is MUCH better than Ashmont. A quick not on the Schoolhouse Condos - I heard that the developer has changed his mind and wants to rent them instead of sell them...I feel sorry for the 12 people that were already under agreement. The developer should take down the "For Sale" banner on the side of the building.

Ahhhh!!!! This blows ... sad news, it is true, the Schoolhouse is going rental.

I really liked it. The renovation of the actual schoolhouse (which the developer had to move, in fact) was a nice touch, and the new building looked good, too, in my opinion.

There seems to be a lot of brand new members joining the board just to promote this one little loft project in Dorchester... Also - don't believe the rumor this guy is reporting about the Schoolhouse unless you hear it from the developer - because clearly these are people affiliated with DNA and are just trashing their competition.

Everybody I know says this DNA Loft project is excellent, really excellent - and I walk by it every day and can attest to this. But everyone also says that it will end up as rentals unless the developers get their head out of the clouds on pricing. They also are not using brokers who have any experience in this market which will make so much tougher in a "chummy" real estate market like Savin Hill. The laser-light posters are laughable so they aren't using a branding/advertising agency either.

As somebody who lives around the corner from this building, I hope/wish they sell out every unit at record-breaking prices. I believe the quality is there - the buyer's market, and the marketing program, however, is not.

I have a lot of great pictures of this project but they are marked with my friend's company name - I asked him to send them to me without his company name on them and I'll post them here so you can all check it out. Don't get me wrong - this is exactly the type of project Boston needs more of.

I walk by the DNA lofts everyday on my way to work. The quality of the construction seems to be very good. One thing I noticed before they put the ceilings in was that they installed insulation between all the floors to dampen the sound.

HAHAHA!!! You noticed this as you "walked by"??? So are you the developer or one of the brokers?

And do you think we're idiots? Between this post and the "woman" from the "Back Bay" claiming this building reminded "her" of "loft buildings in New York's Chelsea area"

Come on.

^I'm just impressed that they feel that this forum is worthy of spamming. We're moving on up in the world.

HAHAHA!!! You noticed this as you "walked by"??? So are you the developer or one of the brokers?

And do you think we're idiots? Between this post and the "woman" from the "Back Bay" claiming this building reminded "her" of "loft buildings in New York's Chelsea area"

Come on.

Yes...after your comments I do think YOU are an idiot. No...I'm not broker but I do own multiple properties in that area and do walk by everyday.

Furthermore - the schoolhouse is going rental. If you knew anything about the market, you would know this by now.

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as a jackass - but sometimes I can't help it. Please accept my apologies. I'm thrilled to have the DNA Lofts joining my neighborhood and hope more developers take a chance on Dorchester.

Welcome to the board! I hope you'll check out all the other threads too.

Pelham, you are the one who sounded like a spammer, giving personal recommendations of real estate agents.

Regarding Schoolhouse, I did indeed speak directly with the developer, minutes after I read the rumor on this site (I emailed him and he called me back), and he confirmed it.

Back