DNA Lofts in Boston

I think so too.

So why the hubbub?

I have no qualms with the comment, but it shouldn't come from a moderator. No offense to anybody but I think someone like Ron Newman should be moderator if he wanted the job. I know no one is getting paid and there's no commandments for being a moderator but in my mind a moderator never makes comments that offend people.

Susie and her post have been deleted. I gave her a chance, but she didn't take it.

I have no problem with people promoting their projects, or other related interests on the board, just be honest about it. Or lie better.

And you know things are slow when people start picking on Statler. They guy is one of the most diplomatic and restrained posters on the board, and to be honest, I take offence at the jabs people are throwing at him. He's a ridiculously judicious moderator.

This thread about a relatively modest little condo on Dot Ave in Dorchester is the most indexed and linked-to thread on the board (true). It's pretty obvious that there's some SEO shenanigans going on here. I'm fine with that as long you keep the posts on topic, and don't throw out BS criticism of board mods or anyone else that criticizes the project.

The board could get along fine without this whole relatively trivial topic, and if the shit continues, I'm going to remove it.

Yeah, when someone insults me like that I weep all over my Maserati.

Psh. Chrysler with leather seats and a chrome grille. Toby, I would have staked you as a more, 1963 Aston Martin DB5 kind of guy. But perhaps you aren't the type of dog who likes martinis, gambling, and womanizing.

I hope that isn't too ad hominum for this thread. By the way, Statler's awesome and doesn't deserve any criticism for that comment. A brick could have understood that sarcasm.

Close, but a mere copy of the Maserati 3500 gt!

And yes, we all enjoy the eponymous hotel king.

Touche! I admit, my familiarity with antique cars is severely lacking, and I only know of contemporary Maseratis - the ones made by Chrysler.

Ferrari (under Fiat) took them over a few years back. They are very nice again, and might make a decent every day driver, unlike a modern Ferrari, which is too flashy anyway.

My "practical" every day driver sports car has grenaded its engine and transmission on different occasions in the last year. It is an amusing and ironic feeling having every person you passed in the previous 2 hours honking and giving you the finger while you sit immobile on the side of the road. All you can do is laugh. (Better a day as a lion than a life as a mouse.)

I am beginning to think that the last properly made cars in the world were the Mercedes of the 80's. Young Kennedy, you want a good used car for yourself? Mercedes 300 SDL. Good for lunar mileage, and you ride like a plutocrat.

Anyway, DNA lofts? Never seen'em. Looks like a condo project in Quincy in the late 80's, something or other Mills. I believe that dominatrix who beat a murder rap (by stuffing a deceased client into a Maine dumpster) used to ply her trade there. Or so my former assistant, who moonlighted as a dominatrix, once told me. The Quincy locale was probably better; DNA in the name would scare the trade. Definite marketing gaff there!

(P.S. On comparatively sober reflection, I might have given the false impression that Ferrari used to make a reliable car. Old Ferraris were crap everyday cars in their day too. Just nicer to look at. But you don't know suffering until you have changed the plugs on an inside plug v-12. It you want a nice 'antique' daily driver, look at a manual Merc 230 SL. 2 tops, taxicab mechanicals, drop dead good looks, easy maintenance, less expensive than the 280 SL. If you want, it will last your whole life.)

Last edited:
So the DNA lofts finally go up for auction. This should have happened years ago! I'm not holding my breath for prices much higher than the min bid. While the neighborhood is better than many parts of Dorchester, it will never be South Boston, Cambridge, the Ville or the Southend.

Yes, i've been inside the units, yes, i've lived in the neighborhood.

A sample of available units.

Unit Floor Sq.Ft. Minimum Bid Price $/SF My Guess on Final Sales Price
C42 3 655 $115,000 $176 ($150,000)
A34 2R 972 $160,000 $165 ($180,000)
B18 2 1,215 $215,000 $177 ($225,000)
C56 4 1,537 $275,000 $179 ($290,000) (Maybe it doesnt sell)

One outdoor parking space is included with the purchase price of each unit.

Auction Event
Thursday, Oct. 6th
The Colonnade Hotel

http://www.dnabostonauction.com/

Sorry, I sometimes get a little suspicious of new members who just happen to have lot of details (and generally favorable opinions) of newly opened real estate opportunities.

How is this area were they are having the AUCTION? Is it nice or is there trouble near by? Seems like good DEALS.

you can see by the number of my posts that I'm not a troll...to be honest, a friend of mine developed the place way back when. He had some tough luck, made some bad decisions in my opinion, but the place was really well built and stylish. It's also in a pretty decent location with easy access to JFK station. If I have enough money kicking around and can get a loan I will jump on one of these. Very cool property.

I'm not questioning the quality of the property.

It's just that people who join forums just to shill are a pet peeve of mine.

But if no one else has a problem with it, carry on...

you can see by the number of my posts that I'm not a troll...to be honest, a friend of mine developed the place way back when. He had some tough luck, made some bad decisions in my opinion, but the place was really well built and stylish. It's also in a pretty decent location with easy access to JFK station. If I have enough money kicking around and can get a loan I will jump on one of these. Very cool property.

They honestly look very nice. JFK area, is up and down. If they go for the right price......they are probably a good deal. I would have to look into the condo agreements and assessments especially how the buildings heating and coolant unit systems are. Might be worth the drive up. Thanks

How much are RENTS going for in this area these days?

"you can see by the number of my posts that I'm not a troll"
What are we playing Dungeons and Dragons?
or are you refering to myself and Statler?

No, he was just reassuring us that he didn't sign up on the forum just to shill this project like a troll might do.

I am not here to sell units. I have been following the project for 5 years. Prices in this part of Dorchester are all over the place. I've seen one bedroom distrssed condos go for $50,000 and I've seen stuff approach 400K. I was booted out of a Duplex when the owner strategically defaulted and short saled the house.

We paid $2,400 for 4 bdrms, 2 kitchens, 2 baths and a driveway, within 100 yds of DNA. We paid $1,450 for a 3 bdrm on Boston st and also $1,750 for a nicer 3 bdrm in the Polish Triangle.

Violence still happens, I've seen bar fights, stabbings (yes, plural), dog fighting/gambling, domestic abuse, several jacked sets of rims, cracksmokers in back alleys etc. I've had two cars wrecked by drunk drivers. Our cars were parked legaly when hit.

Even with all that BS, I still live in the area. The price to commute ratio is too good to move elswhere. I dont spend my weekends in Boston so that's a plus to live in a low rent area.

I have no plans to raise a family in the nieghborhood and will likely be leaving the neighborhood in the next 24 months. I like the Banshee, Pantry, the old Avenue Grill, Sugarbowl, SBK is even growing on me. You cant beat the proximity to the financial district and highway.

I am curious what other people think of the pricing and where they think the sales prices will end up.

Anyone care to guess?

Anyone gone through the building with an engineer or done any testing?

Back