DNA Lofts in Boston

Same poster, from May 22nd:

A new residential development is about to hit the market, this one is called DNA Lofts and should be opening to the public next week.

Prices start in the mid $200Ks with parking.

Today - there's a big sale and prices start... in the mid $200ks!!!!

Gotta love real estate brokers!

Now, to take off my "I'm a total asshole" hat, let me just say that this is one of the nicest, highest-quality, best residential buildings that I've seen in quite some time in a Class-B market. This a true Class-A building, with great details, beautiful landscaping, and a real attention to detail. It's wonderful. It really is. It just opened at the wrong time, and with prices that showed an ignorance of the market dynamics in Savin Hill.

The developers also raised the prices last month. So now, they are "on sale" and brought back to where they always have been. Curious, at best.

(I live practically next to this building and have all the marketing materials, that's how I have this info BTW)

I'm proud of the developer's for taking a chance on this market. I think making such a high-luxury statement was a mistake. Good, quality housing, starting in the low $200s would have sold like hot-cakes. The high-luxury touches have left the building out of touch with the market. People don't move to Savin Hill to live in cramped, city-style studio lofts. They move to Savin Hill for the space that they can afford having left the cramped, city-style South End.

(I live practically next to this building and have all the marketing materials, that's how I have this info BTW)

I'm proud of the developer's for taking a chance on this market. I think making such a high-luxury statement was a mistake. Good, quality housing, starting in the low $200s would have sold like hot-cakes. The high-luxury touches have left the building out of touch with the market. People don't move to Savin Hill to live in cramped, city-style studio lofts. They move to Savin Hill for the space that they can afford having left the cramped, city-style South End.

You make be correct that the developer misread the market. But on some level their motivations are unimportant, and the building that remains is what counts.
And in the interest of building a real city that is urban, having a range of housing options in diverse parts of Boston is only a good thing. To say that people can only move to Savin Hill for the space ensures that we will perpetuate generic stereotypes of our city.

The real estate agents on this are not doing their jobs: the photos in our local MLS are absolutely terrible.

Cripes, Serafin, make them better!

Same with Melville pk they're leaveing the south end and getting 14 rm homes with a yard and a driveway for about the same price or less for a condo in the SE.

Nice view of some Irish battleships at anchor, though.

The funny thing is if you were just honest about it and asked briv, "Hey do you mind if I put up a few pics and info on this project I'm selling?" and just mentioned that in your post no one would have cared.

But I suppose if you cared about being an honest person you wouldn't be working in real estate.

But I suppose if you cared about being an honest person you wouldn't be working in real estate.

That's a rather bizarre and unfair statement. Given the time you spend on this board that would either make you a misanthrope (because you're constantly interacting with people who work in real estate) and/or a sadist.

The funny thing is that this is a really good looking development and i haven't seen a truly negative comment about it on this board... then we get spammed by the developer and suddenly it is begin compared to battleships and such.

I still like it even if i am more than off put by the marketing tactics.

I think the Irish battleship allusion was to the three families in the neighborhood

Perhaps he was, and had the first part of the message been at all lighthearted I might have drawn the same conclusion. But the previous messages were sharpedged which laid the context...in any event, it's not worth harping on anymore.

Originally Posted by statler

He was being tongue in cheek? I hope so. When I read that kind of stuff, it burns my ass.

Well, we've got one or two lawyers on this forum, and members of that trade are often classified with folks who sell real estate. Some would say, "They have their reward. Why do they also need respect?" ;)

Yeah, when someone insults me like that I weep all over my Maserati.

Back