Dock Square Parking Garage | 20 Clinton Street | Downtown

Re: Dock Square Parking Garage | 20 Clinton Street |

Dock Square Parking garage is in such a historical area to incorporate an above garage structure into a development with the amount of history this city offers is truly a sin.

The city is making a big mistake. :sad:

Your anti-communist buddy Tosh here:

If you choose that route, you can kiss Northern Ave Bridge g-bye for at least a decade
because it'll cost the City $279.5M to replace the garage underground.

These above garages all need to be knocked down.

True, but they have to be replaced with ultra-valuable assets.
And that's the problem with Pi Alley, Harbor Garage, Dock Square, etc...
Planners refuse to allow Manhattan-scale towers to go up to 'pay their way.'

Capitalism: good Communism: bad.

Last edited:

New BCDC:

http://www.bostonplans.org/document...ck-square-garage-bcdc-presentation-2019-05-28

New facade treatments help a lot relative to previous versions, but this thing is still on a multi-story garage podium, and that's all the facade you get on the Greenway street level.

I could live with this. The 8th render gives you an idea of materials, that with this massing could look good idk. The color of these renders is harsh but luckily things dont look like cartoons in real life. Ideally Id like to start from scratch, but this is at least much better than whats there now. The massing and materials are at least consistent with this part of the greenway as well. I think its acceptable, if its this or keep the garage I say build..

Last edited:

Page 28 plots out the ground floor program. Retail along the Greenway is very positive, even if the facade itself at street level will be hideous. Clinton Street really gets the shaft, which is unfortunate because it's now going to be completely relegated to that-alley-behind-the-North-marketplace building.

--

Sidenote/observation: The Greenway ramp parcel really screwed over this entire area. Even with full build on the Fulton Street Lot on the other side, you'll never feel that nice sense of urban enclosure here. It makes crossing into the North End feel like an incongruous trudge... this could have been avoidable.

Do people like this better than the original? They cant right?

I wish it didn't feel so much like a building on top of a parking podium, that they had done more to try to hide that fact and make the facade feel more continuous.

These above garages that are located on unique park locations that will help benefit the public activity need to be buried below ground level. I'm not sure what the city is thinking about this.

Keep above garages in the city around amazing park makes no sense for the public or its tourists. :???:

Terrible planning. A good facade or not it makes no sense.
Start giving the builders incentive to bury these garages instead of suppressing the area for the general public.

I dont hate it, it could come out very European with some luck.

Even the renderings for Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower (GCG Phase I) look amazing but the Above garages need to be underground.

It will add more space for the public. There is nothing of value to the overall general public with an above parking garages in the cores of the cities. They are great money makers for the investors but very bad public amenities and take up value of space for beauty.

They are very negative :?

First design was far better. This is almost a middle finger to the NIMBYs.

Re: Dock Square Parking Garage, 20 Clinton Street

OK all the pearl clutchers, fainting couch droppers, 21st century haters, those living in the 19th century, contextualism zealots, and all manner of nattering nabobs have had their say. And of course they came came up with a mule instead of a horse. Now let's go back to this and get it done.
Bldup article of this proposal.
http://www.bldup.com/projects/dock-square-garage
38480105030_beea87ea53_b.jpg
[/url]Aerial Facing Southeast

Re: Dock Square Parking Garage, 20 Clinton Street

OK all the pearl clutchers, fainting couch droppers, 21st century haters, those living in the 19th century, contextualism zealots, and all manner of nattering nabobs have had their say. And of course they came came up with a mule instead of a horse. Now let's go back to this and get it done.

Well said BP! WTF is BCDC smoking?

I do. The first design was entirely detached and glass for the sake of glass. This one has an actual facade.

Also, not that it was actually going to be installed, but the "Dock Square" sign is obnoxious.

Who in their right mind would like a builder to keep an above garage intact and call it great addition piece to the city in terms of architecture? :confused:

Besides some group having an agenda.

I do. The first design was entirely detached and glass for the sake of glass. This one has an actual facade.

Also, not that it was actually going to be installed, but the "Dock Square" sign is obnoxious.

I agree. Plus the ground floor was garbáge. The glass wasnt bad, it was how they just boarded up the garage which was bad and continued the part that covered the garage straight to the ground. In my opinion the new one is the best so far.

The glass divider and ground floor retail makes it have much less dead space

These renderings are pathetic. This does not add value to the city of Boston in this unique spot. This is truly an architectural piece of shit for the city of Boston.

Its time to allow some Manhattanization skyscrapers in certain locations especially if they rid the public of these suppressing garages that create no value for the public.

Yea the problem is the garage. Some of the designs are pretty nice, but then below is crap.
Screen-Shot-2018-02-16-at-9.45.06-AM.png

Idk why they cant “bury” the garage. It wouldnt be that expensive. Wrecking ball the garage, build normal building with lots of below grade parking.

These above garages that are located on unique park locations that will help benefit the public activity need to be buried below ground level. I'm not sure what the city is thinking about this.

Keep above garages in the city around amazing park makes no sense for the public or its tourists. :???:

Terrible planning. A good facade or not it makes no sense.
Start giving the builders incentive to bury these garages instead of suppressing the area for the general public.

You know who else had to constantly remind aB of a singular obsession about parking garages and the need to "incentivize" developers with giant blank cheques to bury them?

Just sayin'. . .

Both versions suck because they keep the garage.

Back