Does Boston really need the E line anymore?

armpitsOFmight

Reaction score
Seriously, half of the orange line's stops are a few blocks apart from the E line's. Since the MBTA is strapped for cash for the next 25 years, I say we convert it into a quasi-BRT system for the 39 and 66 buses and try to save some money. This could free-up funds for repairs/maintenance, the green-line extension into Medford, orange line extension into Roslindale, and maybe a new tunnel somewhere in the back bay/Downtown region to relieve all that fucking bunching between Hynes and Park Street.

The T has been trying to get rid of the E Line since the 1980s but it serves too many people for that to be politically feasible (not like it's a good idea in the first place).

Because drunk kids like you rely on it every night to get back to college.

Because the E is always packed, and the #39 route segmented busses are always packed, which proves there is strong demand.

It also offers the closest access to the Pru, and it serves 4-5 colleges plus I'd argue better access to Longwood Medical area that the D.

Something about reducing transit access to college kids and medical facilities seems to be a step in a regressive direction.

So, Carolyn Kepcher, why is it a good idea again?

There's no way to make it work.

You can't dump the E line riders on the #39 and the Orange Line because the other two are already ridiculously full most of the time. You may have parallel service right now, but that is because the service offered is being heavily utilized.

To implement your idea, the T would have to buy several buses to replace each Green Line train taken out of service, and then E / #39 replacement - Silver Lie Phase: LOL - would be an endless line of crush level articulated vehicles crawling down a paved median bumper to bumper. Basically what the T tried to do with the Urban Ring until it realized there was no way to pay for it. (sadly not because the idea of a major arterial line as BRT raised any red flags)

Oh yeah, if it snowed the entire fleet of articulated buses would have to stay home and get replaced with 40' models that REALLY, REALLY couldn't handle the load. Which would mean the T would be forced to keep a massive reserve fleet of 40' vehicles on standby just in case the roads got slippery.

Like they do now with the Silver Lie and #39. (and would have to do with the Urban Ring if it ever came to fruition)

There's no way to make it work.

You can't dump the E line riders on the #39 and the Orange Line because the other two are already ridiculously full most of the time.

Arborway, you've obviously never ridden the Orange Line in your entire adult life. Seriously, either move to JP or gtf out.

To implement your idea, the T would have to buy several buses to replace each Green Line train taken out of service

It would still be cheaper and just as effective as LRT mofo.

Look, all I'm trying to do is save money for the MBTA so it can rebuild itself and flex its muscles.

Last edited:
No, it wouldn't be a good idea because of many reasons.

The E line serve many colleges/universities, such as Northeastern University, Wentworth, MCPHS, Mass Art, Emmanuel, Simmons, Harvard Medical, and School of Museum of Fine Arts as well as the well known Boston Latin School. It also provides a direct route to DT.

The E line serve communities such as Mission Hill where people are more dependent on the T.

The #39 is always congested and adding more buses only cause more traffic on the heavily used Huntington Avenue. Unlike the trolley, buses do not have a lane dedicated to them. So no, it would not be as effective as a LRT and it also probably won't save much money either.

The #39 is always congested and adding more buses only cause more traffic on the heavily used Huntington Avenue. Unlike the trolley, buses do not have a lane dedicated to them. So no, it would not be as effective as a LRT and it also probably won't save much money either.

Yeah, and this is why we'd turn the trolley tracks into a dedicated bus lane only for the 39 and 66 buses. You know deep down in your hearts that it would be just as effective as LRT if the buses had their own lane.

Yeah, and this is why we'd turn the trolley tracks into a dedicated bus lane only for the 39 and 66 buses. You know deep down in your hearts that it would be just as effective as LRT if the buses had their own lane.

Yea but that process pretty much makes it more expensive than the current system. You have to fill the rail with asphalt and demolish the stations along the lines. I thought you said you wanted the T to save money, not spend more.

You have to fill the rail with asphalt and demolish the stations along the lines.

Who said anything about demolishing the stations? I think we should keep them and the barriers on the right-hand side.

Who said anything about demolishing the stations? I think we should keep them and the barriers on the right-hand side.

Filling the track with asphalt still makes it more expensive, not to mention increase congestion during the whole process as trucks are brought in to fill it up. Also, until its complete, an increase for buses will be needed, causing more congestion in the area.

I agree that the E and the Orange Line are too close together. I don't agree that the E is the line that should be replaced.

I don't agree that the E is the line that should be replaced.

Why? The orange line is a lot faster.

Van disappointingly states on his website that the E line should have been underground heavy rail.

FutureMBTA
Eventually even this was not enough and plans were proposed to convert the entire line to heavy rail and further expand. But this time Boston was in an economic depression, soon to be followed by the entire nation, and very little was done in terms of expansion (Kenmore station was built in anticipation of a future conversion at this time; the middle two tracks were built on lifts over a sunken track pit that was the correct height for heavy rail trains). In the early 1940s Boston received some monies to construct the Huntington Ave subway (todays E branch) but what was built was a far cry from the original proposal to construct a new subway under Stuart St in the Back Bay and out to Mission Hill.

Well guys, as you can see the MBTA came through on this promise since the Orange Line now also serves these communities and Boston clearly doesn't need both for commuters. I'm also trying to understand why Van is still for the E-line when he very clearly states on his website that the original plans for heavy rail was the best idea. Van, you're being a hypocrite. The MBTA plans to serve this area with heavy rail was accidentally accomplished back in '87. Are you still angry because people in the South End and Roxbury are under-served by public transit? Well how about dismantling and rerouting the E line so it goes through the South End and Roxbury?

Well guys, as you can see the MBTA came through on this promise since the Orange Line now also serves these communities and Boston clearly doesn't need both for commuters.
Clearly you don't often ride the E line or the Orange Line at this stretch. If you did then you would have noticed the constant overcrowding on the E line from Brigham Circle all the way to Copley from 1-5 pm on weekdays. The trains are constantly so full after Longwood that they often skip stops like MFA and Northeastern University (a daily annoyance for me as a Northeastern student) and bus #39 can barely help the problem as it doesn't provide a direct route into DT. Now, of course I can walk over to Ruggles but the fact remains, without the E line, the Orange Line will experience overcrowding having to serve all the Longwood Area colleges/universities.

I'm also trying to understand why Van is still for the E-line when he very clearly states on his website that the original plans for heavy rail was the best idea. Van, you're being a hypocrite.

I'm trying to understand how you are such a fucking dumb-ass douche-chill. I'm for the E-Line and I'm for making it better. There is nothing hypocritical about that.

I don't think the Orange Line should be removed. Preferably, it would be returned to its original alignment down Washington St. Why would you reroute the E line for this purpose? There's no natural need for transit in the SW corridor; the only reason people use the Orange Line is because they lack heavy rail transit where they really live.

Clearly you don't often ride the E line or the Orange Line at this stretch. If you did then you would have noticed the constant overcrowding on the E line from Brigham Circle all the way to Copley from 1-5 pm on weekdays.

I am aware of the overcrowding at this time, but it's also busy from 5 p.m. - 9 p.m. It's also really funny when the trains and busses are packed, people enter in the back to get a free ride.

The trains are constantly so full after Longwood that they often skip stops like MFA and Northeastern University (a daily annoyance for me as a Northeastern student) and bus #39 can barely help the problem as it doesn't provide a direct route into DT.

Why would you take the green line to get downtown? I'm sorry, but are you a tourist? The O line would get you there in half the time.

Now, of course I can walk over to Ruggles but the fact remains, without the E line, the Orange Line will experience overcrowding having to serve all the Longwood Area colleges/universities.

Why are you younglings afraid to walk 2-4 blocks to get to a station (Ruggles, Mass. Ave, and or Roxbury Crossing)? All Boston locals know that the white university kids are afraid of the O line because of the minorities who use it. Presently, the O line is under-burdened by its passengers and is waiting for all the college kids and to grow some hair on their chests and use the better line.

I don't think the Orange Line should be removed. Preferably, it would be returned to its original alignment down Washington St.

I actually think Van's idea of moving LRT down Washington is a better idea. Might as well remove the current E line on Huntington and move it to where the old O line used to be. The current O line is vastly superior to its LRT neighbor because it's on time and gets to the Back Bay and Downtown at a faster speed. Also, it's better to use the O line when you want to transfer to the red line to get to Cambridge.

Last edited:
Seriously? We're talking about removing a branch of the T? The E line takes people directly to the MFA and gets you closest to the LMA. Also, if I lived in Mission Hill, I'd much rather walk over to Huntington than to the Orange Line. Don't even bring up the 39, because it's a joke.

Back