Dorchester Bay City (nee Bayside Expo Ctr.) | Columbia Point

In the renders the Columbia rotary is gone. Is that part of the plan? Also, what's the over under on how many of these buildings get started in the next 5 years?

Yea thats the recent plan for the rotary replacement. I cant remember where it was posted but its on this forum somewhere.

This really needs for development to occur in the adjacent lots freed up by the Morrissey Blvd + K Circle reconfiguration. As rendered, it's quite removed from JFK station and still leaves pedestrians dodging cars on wide roads in empty spaces (although, anything's better than the current K Circle ped experience).

Anyone know how space freed up from a reconfiguration like this is handled? Should we expect any lots to be allocated for development?

The two triangular parcels, filled with trees in the render, would be great locations for a couple of signature buildings. There is already a lot of abutting (and useful) open space at Moakley Park, no need to turn these spots in to glorified medians.

Does anyone know why there are 3-4 construction vehicles owned by GTA Landscaping in the Bayside lot for the last 3 years? They haven't moved. One has a broken window.

Regarding the road infrastructure, they need to remove the onramp from Columbia into 93 south and exit from 93 north to Columbia. Traffic coming on 93 north can get off at Morrissey Blvd. Create a new onramp at Freeport Street to 93 south (remove the existing small onramp) and widen 93 south by 1 full travel lane for a half mile here so people can safely merge onto 93 south. For a portion of this .50 widening, there's already an existing emergency turnout area and it abuts parking lots. I would also widen 93 north by one full travel lane from the existing Freeport street exit to Morrissey exit to allow people to safely exit 93.

This, coupled with a redesign of the rotary, would go a long way to improving the pedestrian and bike setup around JFK/UMass.

Regarding the road infrastructure, they need to remove the onramp from Columbia into 93 south and exit from 93 north to Columbia. Traffic coming on 93 north can get off at Morrissey Blvd. Create a new onramp at Freeport Street to 93 south (remove the existing small onramp) and widen 93 south by 1 full travel lane for a half mile here so people can safely merge onto 93 south. For a portion of this .50 widening, there's already an existing emergency turnout area and it abuts parking lots. I would also widen 93 north by one full travel lane from the existing Freeport street exit to Morrissey exit to allow people to safely exit 93.

This, coupled with a redesign of the rotary, would go a long way to improving the pedestrian and bike setup around JFK/UMass.

Send your idea to people who matter (like MassDot) and they actually do listen sometimes. Somebody here had the great idea for how to fix the Route 3 North merge in Burlington off of 95. I passed that idea to MassDot, and they made the exact changes to improve the traffic flow. (in that case it was to shift the 2 lanes left that broke off from 95 north, so the cars coming from 95 south could enter in their own separate lane to avoid a merge)

I was actually going to suggest to them that they remove Morrissey Blvd offramp. It only serves to make Morrissey an arterial route and future projects are trying to de-emphasize that connection to South Boston. People that get off there should stay on I-93 until either the Columbia Rd or Southampton St. Local traffic could still use the Neponset Ave exit just prior. This would also make the mixed use path connection a lot easier since there wouldn't be a long ramp blocking the way.

I think the main source of rotary traffic is making Columbia Rd drivers (from Dot) use the rotary to access I-93N instead of having a signal for a left turn directly onto it. They could also make the offramp signal more efficient if they remove the useless through movement back onto the highway, which would allow them to get rid of the exclusive pedestrian phase.

$5b Bay City project headed for BPDA vote before the fall
New%20Dot%20Bay%20pic.png

“The master plan for the $5 billion Dorchester Bay City project, which aims to remake Columbia Point into a commercial and residential hub just steps from the Red Line, is on track to head before the board of the Boston Planning and Development Agency in August.

The project last week received the approval of the Boston Civic Design Commission, a panel focused on architectural plans and a typical precursor to a project going before the BPDA’s board.

Next up on the calendar is a July 26 virtual meeting that will be hosted by the BPDA with a focus on mitigation and updates. The meeting starts at 6 p.m.

Dorchester Bay City’s top two developers, Kirk Sykes and Dick Galvin of Accordia Partners, view it as a defining project and envision a timeline of 10 to 15 years to build 21 buildings across 6 million square feet. The master plan is an overarching proposal; the buildings will need individual signoffs…”

https://www.dotnews.com/2023/5b-bay-city-project-headed-bpda-vote-fall

I wonder if this program will be changed to The Point. Sounds like a fitting name!!! :)

Last edited:
Whoa, another huge flood-prone neighborhood with no mass transit connection.

But again, even if you make across the expressways alive there’s no mass transit there. So what good does it do anyone?

Back