Dorchester Infill and Small Developments

8 Banton Street approved. Interestingly, this site was planned for BRA clearance for elderly high rise housing and a Boston Edison transformer site in 1970 - see here.

Banton is kind of a cool little dead end street. Apparently, the vacant land to be developed is a paper street called Northam Park which was never developed...

Presentation here.
Seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity given the size of the lot and proximity to the Red Line though.

Wow, no kidding. A parking ratio that high and FAR so low within a stone's throw of transit should be criminal... Death to 2030 housing construction targets by a thousand paper cuts with small developments around the region like this.

We really need to step up incentives and city-wide planning for higher densities within 10-min walking distance to rapid transit.

Wow, no kidding. A parking ratio that high and FAR so low within a stone's throw of transit should be criminal... Death to 2030 housing construction targets by a thousand paper cuts with small developments around the region like this.

We really need to step up incentives and city-wide planning for higher densities within 10-min walking distance to rapid transit.

DigitalSciGuy -- look at what surrounds it -- this is actually quite high density for the area -- and contrary to your statement -- actually exactly what is needed to meet the target of housing about 10% more inhabitant in Boston by 2030

DigitalSciGuy -- look at what surrounds it -- this is actually quite high density for the area -- and contrary to your statement -- actually exactly what is needed to meet the target of housing about 10% more inhabitant in Boston by 2030

Yeah, I guess if you want to compare it to other buildings of relatively low FAR and large parking lots... Something in this case isn't better than nothing.

Meanwhile, to the south of Peabody Square proper and adjacent Ashmont Station, you have arguably the appropriate density of development going in. This isn't so far away from the station as to justify only 18 units on this property with such a far setback from Dot Ave. And a 1.5 parking ratio!? Really??

It's built for Dedham or Natick, not Dorchester.

Can't complain. Empty lot now housing? Great. I think everyone would prefer two (or, some people, ten) more stories but perhaps the developer was worried it couldn't find enough tenants?

I love how close it is to the bus/train station. Great marketing. (Srsly, for those who commute by T.)

Closer to the station than Assembly Square Row Mall, that's for sure.

If the mayor were to admit we need 55-60 - 30~35 story/320 unit towers by 2030, spread from Allston to Dorchester to make up the 20-25,000 unit shortfall (after all the infill), would that convince a few neighborhood agitators to move to Dracut - or would they just dig in?

If the mayor were to admit we need 55-60 - 30~35 story/320 unit towers by 2030, spread from Allston to Dorchester to make up the 20-25,000 unit shortfall (after all the infill), would that convince a few neighborhood agitators to move to Dracut - or would they just dig in?

^The agitators would just dig in and fight!....But there's a reason for their fights, and I'm here to help them. I'm printing up some pamphlets to hand out at every BRA, and Neighborhood opposition meeting from now on concerning the issue of "Acrophobia", and how to overcome it. Sadly, NIMBY's in our city have a serious case of Acrophobia, which is the irrational fear of heights. It is so serious around here that any building proposed over 5 floors can cause these poor people to regress into a sad state of existence, hardly resembling the rational citizens they once were. They lash out at meetings in incoherent and ridiculous fashion....it really is a horrible thing to witness. They just need help.

Following up on that Dorchester Reporter article, the Port Norfolk marina was put on the market soon thereafter, where it remains today.

Interesting comment in the thread for that article, the owner of the Port Norfolk Yacht Club mentions he'd be willing to sell, too, for the right price. It abuts the other property.

Screenshot-2016-03-09-at-7.18.28-PM.png

Screenshot-2016-03-09-at-10.08.50-PM.png

Developer's website (PDFs, renderings) http://www.portnorfolkdevelopment.com/index.html

Interesting comment in the thread for that article, the owner of the Port Norfolk Yacht Club mentions he'd be willing to sell, too, for the right price. It abuts the other property.

I'm pretty sure that guy doesn't own the Yacht Club. I think it is a nonprofit that owns its own land.

Has anyone ever proposed a T station on the Braintree Line near Port Norfolk?

^+1

A Red Line stop could allow this area to densify and would make this area more appealing. Especially along 93 where there's quite a bit of space to develop.

There's been occasional back and forth on Twitter about infill Red Line stations in Dorchester, including here, but as Suffolk suggests, the conversation invariably gets twinged with a hint of 1970s-Arlington-rejects-its-Red-Line-extension-style racism...

There's been occasional back and forth on Twitter about infill Red Line stations in Dorchester, including here, but as Suffolk suggests, the conversation invariably gets twinged with a hint of 1970s-Arlington-rejects-its-Red-Line-extension-style racism...

DigitalSciGuy -- Don't toss around terms with abandon such as Red-Line-Extension-style-Racism

Arlington rejected the Red Line over parking issues -- the concern was that people from further out in suburbia, as well as other parts of Arlington would park on the neighborhood streets near to the stations since there were no Alewife-like provision for parking.

Even back then being able to park for free in front of someone's suburban house would pay for lunch for most folks -- today maybe only a Venti Mochaccino and some fruit tart

I bet the residents of Port Norfolk want no part of a T station

I think you are right. One big reason is that there is actually decent MBTA coverage. I know buses aint trains but years ago when I lived on Neponset Ave and worked in Brighton I would take the bus to the train. On one side of the Ave the bus went to Fields Corner and the other side went to North Quincy. I took whichever came first. Time-wise it was a wash and I never actually looked at a schedule because the buses ran so frequently. It is actually one of the few places in the outer neighborhoods where you could commute in town or cross town via the T, way faster and cheaper than driving. Also, these days you can get the Silver Line at SS giving the area better access to the airport.

Given the transit options currently available, I think the average Neponset/ Port Norfolk resident would weigh the drawbacks that can come with a Red Line station right off the highway with the potential benefits and opt to keep things the way they are.

I think you are right. One big reason is that there is actually decent MBTA coverage. I know buses aint trains but years ago when I lived on Neponset Ave and worked in Brighton I would take the bus to the train. On one side of the Ave the bus went to Fields Corner and the other side went to North Quincy. I took whichever came first. Time-wise it was a wash and I never actually looked at a schedule because the buses ran so frequently. It is actually one of the few places in the outer neighborhoods where you could commute in town or cross town via the T, way faster and cheaper than driving. Also, these days you can get the Silver Line at SS giving the area better access to the airport.

Given the transit options currently available, I think the average Neponset/ Port Norfolk resident would weigh the drawbacks that can come with a Red Line station right off the highway with the potential benefits and opt to keep things the way they are.

Maybe so, but the homeowners would see their property values skyrocket and should be delighted at that prospect. And parking issues would be alleviated with a "Dorchester Resident" parking permit. That should exist anyways, but is a discussion for another day.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2016/03/rhode-island-developer-proposes-apartments-near.html

"A Rhode Island development group has proposed a 64-unit multifamily complex on a site it calls “one of the last underdeveloped parcels along Dorchester Avenue” in Dorchester’s Ashmont/Peabody Square neighborhood."

"The project is proposed for a site at 1943 Dorchester Ave. and will target young urban professionals, graduate and medical students, young families and empty nesters. It will be a joint venture between Peregrine Group LLC of Rumford, Rhode Island and St. Marks Area Main Street, according to documentation filed this month with the Boston Redevelopment Authority."

Screen_Shot_2016-03-22_at_4.59.23_PM-768x432$medium.png

Lol the render looks like certified ass, but well have to see what the materials end up being it could end up decent.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2016/03/rhode-island-developer-proposes-apartments-near.html

"A Rhode Island development group has proposed a 64-unit multifamily complex on a site it calls “one of the last underdeveloped parcels along Dorchester Avenue” in Dorchester’s Ashmont/Peabody Square neighborhood."

"The project is proposed for a site at 1943 Dorchester Ave. and will target young urban professionals, graduate and medical students, young families and empty nesters. It will be a joint venture between Peregrine Group LLC of Rumford, Rhode Island and St. Marks Area Main Street, according to documentation filed this month with the Boston Redevelopment Authority."

Screen_Shot_2016-03-22_at_4.59.23_PM-768x432$medium.png

Lol the render looks like certified ass, but well have to see what the materials end up being it could end up decent.

Hard to tell from that render, doesn't look to bad to me... The tree story buildings are starting to look out of place along this stretch - they should build higher than four stories for this thing, but probably figured they'd get fought down if they tried...

This area really seems like it's gaining steam. It's interesting because despite the major development by ashmont and the development diagonally across the street (by the same developers), I think the contributions of ashmont grill to the areas development are not to be neglected. One high quality anchor of a restaurant or commercial establishment can really be a catalyst. That's cool.

Back