Dorchester Infill and Small Developments

Sad. So sad!

Guess that saving money is more important than the safety of the occupants!

Last edited:
Why on eath do they start with steel for the first floor, but the upper floors are all wood?

God forbid if there were ever a fire. The whole thing would go POOF!

Nearly all new buildings like these have sprinklers, so I highly doubt they'd go "POOF!" There has never been a multiple-loss of life in a fully sprinklered building, and they're incredibly effective at preventing structural damage from a fire compared to most of the wooden structures that dominate our city (older triple deckers).

Nearly all new buildings like these have sprinklers, so I highly doubt they'd go "POOF!" There has never been a multiple-loss of life in a fully sprinklered building, and they're incredibly effective at preventing structural damage from a fire compared to most of the wooden structures that dominate our city (older triple deckers).

They also don't use balloon framing (like my lovely house) - modern stick building is a lot more conscious of fires and fire containment/stopping.

They also don't use balloon framing (like my lovely house) - modern stick building is a lot more conscious of fires and fire containment/stopping.

Usually when one of these goes "poof" it is during construction, before the sprinkler system is operational (and before it is fully covered with fire-resistant cladding).

Usually when one of these goes "poof" it is during construction, before the sprinkler system is operational (and before it is fully covered with fire-resistant cladding).

This is true. The 5-over-1 model is very popular with developers for cost and schedule reasons. Although they are safe-ish I am not a fan. They are short life span buildings and I am an advocate for higher first cost buildings that can have a long life.

A developers deal horizon is too short for that so the push the problems that will occur after year 10 will be pushed off to someone else.

Buyer beware.

cca

Yeah, seems all the rage these days. My building (Flats on D) was like this. So is the new Marriott as part of Ink Block.

I think that the old tri-D's were grandfathered in and are exempt from that law.

Unless by some chance that the buildings are rehabbed and done over, as in the case of the old building that I've lived in, in Eastie. It was rehabbed and converted over to a condominium.

Globe: Developer hopes to tap into Dorchester’s Port Norfolk

Boston Globe said:
The four existing buildings on the Dorchester marina site, currently used for boat sales and storage, would come down. In their place, Sillery would build a 50- to 60-room hotel that would likely have a restaurant on its first floor. He also wants to develop a condo building that offers water and skyline views, and a new structure that can accommodate MarineMax’s boat sales and storage. The 50 or so boat slips would remain at the site although they might be moved slightly. Ideally, Sillery would like to see a small shop for recreational fishermen in the complex as well.

graphic-5476.jpg

I have a feeling the Port Norfolk neighborhood people are going to be STAUNCHLY against this. Anybody been over there before? Its ridiculously quiet and those people have it good. They're not gonna want to give that up

Yeah I've walked around down there and can confirm, very quiet - all those roads are small residential streets - hard to imagine a hotel and restaurant there - though the marina location is pretty excellent.

Love the distillery down there. I hope they don't lose any of the civil-war era buildings/warehouses, they are kind of neat. The rusting/rotting metal stuff w/e. The hotel seems odd to me - I thought the old proposal was only for condos, so that seems new. I guess it will all depend on how good of a relationship that the owner of Venezia (and the winery) has with the neighborhood. If they ever put an in-fill Red Line stop around there maybe things would be a bit different.

Why on eath do they start with steel for the first floor, but the upper floors are all wood?

God forbid if there were ever a fire. The whole thing would go POOF!

Indeed. People build houses completely of metal and a mixture of chewed up plastic bottles and mortar for a surprisingly high R-factor for the outside walls in my vacation home town of Mazatlan, Sinaloa. The awesome thing is,

1. we don't have as many fires as we used to.

2. prevention and firestopping tech.

3. sprinklers.

4. insurance.

5. rebuild it = jobs.

we should be pouring our walls just like they do in Mainland Mex.

they don't have any fires.

Luscinski said she has turned down offers from developers, some upwards of $5 million, for the four properties. She and her husband live in her childhood home and rent out two other houses that, with the extra lot, are collectively assessed by the city at $909,500.

She allows that she may look stubborn, holding out for what some would consider an unreasonable price. But Luscinski said there is evidence she is sitting on a gold mine. Several of her neighbors have already sold their homes to developers who have torn them down and built sleek apartment and condominium buildings in anticipation of the 475 apartments, shops, restaurants, hotel, and movie theater coming to South Bay.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...html?p1=Article_Trending_Most_Viewed#comments

Is this going where that abandoned looks to be former restaurant is sitting? Its directly across sydney st from the savin bar and grille on savin hill ave.

Also walking down savin hill ave towards dot ave on the left there is something being built on the left Im not sure yet if its apartments but I havent seen any coverage or mention of it yet.

I think so…
My dad had a going away from his job party at that now abandoned restaurant.
The greasy spoon across the street opens very early and is excellent.

Back