Dorchester Infill and Small Developments

Twitterers are calling it, "A Whole New Neighborhood".

150 units.

Source of fire looks to be an improperly installed exhaust pipe for diesel generators, which were being tested the day of the fire.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...sioner-says/dkdqDpMC4XNk7LCsCG1tLJ/story.html

ryan_treadmark2_met.jpg

First tenants were to move in around July 15; this underscores Jeff's point about the building being substantially complete.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/2017/06/...-dorchester/iLmyRICWxes8mu5wAy1SdO/story.html

It would seem this building had a cockloft, and if there were firestops in the cockloft, these were inadequate.

DDcl0DvWsAEkokv.jpg

Wow. Bolding my emphasis

Boston fire chief blasts construction workers for slow response to blaze

Dan Atkinson Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The city's fire commissioner blasted construction workers for taking 90 minutes to report a fire that destroyed a six-story building in Dorchester last month and said city officials are working on new safety standards for buildings under construction -- particularly those with highly flammable wood frames.

"It's a grave concern, it's a total breakdown on the construction site itself, there should be no delay in the response," Fire Commissioner Joseph Finn said today of workers at 1971-1979 Dorchester Avenue smelling smoke on June 28 but taking an hour and a half to call the fire department. "It's a very concerning issue for me."

Finn and Inspectional Services Commissioner Buddy Christopher described the delay at a press conference today and identified the cause of the fire that destroyed the 6-story Treadmark Building last month in a fire that tore through a structure that was set for occupancy in a few weeks. Finn said the fire began in the space between the sixth floor and the roof when exhaust piping from a generator that was being tested ignited combustible material.

That exhaust pipe was supposed to be 12 inches away from any combustible material but was likely only three inches away, Finn said. Christopher said ISD inspectors likely would have caught the problem had they completed an inspection scheduled for the day after the fire, and said he did not think developers in Boston's housing boom were cutting corners.

"We have the absolute faith in our construction industry here in Boston," Christopher said. "We do not think this is a systemic problem across the city."

The building had a working sprinkler system at the time of the fire, but it was not turned on, Finn said -- which is allowed under state building code that only requires sprinklers be on after a building gets its certificate of occupancy. Finn said the lack of sprinklers hampered fighting the fire, but the main factor was construction workers smelling smoke and seeing haze at 1 p.m. and not calling BFD until 2:30 p.m.

"The number one problem was the delay in notification," FInn said. "We have thermal imaging cameras, we could've found this fire in a short amount of time."

FULL ARTICLE

Proposed Dorchester development would raze auto shops for flats, retail

A proposal by Boston-based developer Arx Urban would raze the site of two auto shops in Dorchester and replace them with apartments and retail. Rendering courtesy of RODE Architects Inc.

A mixed-use development with residential rental units, ground-floor retail and art gallery space is slated to replace two auto repair shops on Hancock Street in Dorchester.

Boston-based Arx Urban wants to construct the five-story building at 233 Hancock St. with 31 middle-income and five affordable apartments ranging from studio to two-bedroom units.

hancockstreet.jpg

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...nt_would_raze_auto_shops_for_flats_retail?amp

I dont get what the obsession with hancock street is lately...(the red line proximity?) but what I do know is I am absolutely going to be priced out of my apartment right up the street.

Now's the time to buy then. Beat the increasing housing costs.

I would but you cant be in school to use a va home loan. You need to be settled into your career even though the gi bill pays very well housing costs in boston. It makes sense because your kind of in limbo between semesters and Im sure theyre all about risk mitigation. So in the meantime I have to sit back and watch deals come and go and my neighborhood gentrify around me.

I would but you cant be in school to use a va home loan. You need to be settled into your career even though the gi bill pays very well housing costs in boston. It makes sense because your kind of in limbo between semesters and Im sure theyre all about risk mitigation. So in the meantime I have to sit back and watch deals come and go and my neighborhood gentrify around me.
You are part of the gentry.

Interesting. Damage must have been extensive or the insurance wrote the whole thing off and they have the money to restart from scratch... which I guess is saying the same thing.

Back