Dorchester Infill and Small Developments

I sincerely wonder why you mention that project over the one on Dot and Savin Hill Aves or the one on NE Ave that has been a prominent vacant lot for over 50 years. Both help enhance and repair the urban fabric while that one (to me) looks like a generic Columbus Ave special

Im just a fan of the materials used on that project, with its 1930's industrial, condo retrofit vibe. I wanna see more quality materials used throughout Dorchester. Too many projects look like shit in 10 years from cheap materials. Those two look like much of the generic crap going up everywhere especially that NE ave one so nothing to really write home about. Glad to see the lots filled tho.

If every random lot infilled around dorchester chose materials like that mass ave project it would compound over time into a pretty solid stock of quality housing over time. Not saying its the greatest infill ever, but the tan vertical brick lines, black floor plates, and red window frame design language is very specifically paying homage to depression era architecture and I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Okay, NE Ave due is lowered expectations in a once desolate stretch but the Dot Ave project is my recent favorite and the Savin Hill Ave part could be really special, relatively modest but special. And I do love me some well placed infill over pretty much any large building. Losing an ugly garage on Dot Ave to a nice building thrills me but a big apartment building on Mass Ave is good too I guess

Not shown in Beeline's set is these maroon decorative panels they are installing. I'm not going to say its my favorite building of all time but I really appreciate that new buildings are adding this kind of old fashioned details, it does look like an old factory building from the front if you squint

“The development team hoping to transform the former Phillips Old Colony House on Morrissey Boulevard into a 219-unit apartment complex unveiled their latest proposal to a largely unreceptive group of neighbors via Zoom last Thursday evening.

The acre-and-a-half site at 780 Morrissey Blvd., once home to the popular dining and function hall that closed in 2017, is now being used by a neighboring car dealership as a storage area for its vehicles....”
780%20Morrissey%20Rendering%20REP%2048-20%20copy.jpg

Link

“The development team hoping to transform the former Phillips Old Colony House on Morrissey Boulevard into a 219-unit apartment complex unveiled their latest proposal to a largely unreceptive group of neighbors via Zoom last Thursday evening.

The acre-and-a-half site at 780 Morrissey Blvd., once home to the popular dining and function hall that closed in 2017, is now being used by a neighboring car dealership as a storage area for its vehicles....”
780%20Morrissey%20Rendering%20REP%2048-20%20copy.jpg

Link

I agree with those unreceptive neighbors!!!! This is a travesty and if thee adjunct car dealership storage area in this historic location, where so many people have so many treasured memories of wonderful moments and cultural learnings......then, really, what are we becoming in the 21st century??????

For God's sakes, build needed housing anywhere else in Boston, but please preserve this absolute jewel of an area!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I agree with those unreceptive neighbors!!!! This is a travesty and if thee adjunct car dealership storage area in this historic location, where so many people have so many treasured memories of wonderful moments and cultural learnings......then, really, what are we becoming in the 21st century??????

For God's sakes, build needed housing anywhere else in Boston, but please preserve this absolute jewel of an area!!!!!!!!
That historic treasure MUST be preserved! It absolutely defines the character of the neighborhood!

I missed this:

Some interesting additional details about 1463-1469 Dorchester Avenue in UniveralHub:

All 29 units are between 400 and 450 sq feet, as the building is partaking in the city's 2 year Compact Living Pilot.

Also, most interestingly,
[The developer] added he is working on a plan in which he would sell off part of the overall ownership of the building, in increments as low as $1,000, to Dorchester residents - which would let local folks buy into the real-estate market without having to buy an entire building. He said he could not tell the board more because of SEC requirements.

Travis Lee, the developer, seems to have his hand in a ton of projects around Fields Corner. Cool to see this level of experimentation.

20210617_131821.jpg
20210617_131848.jpg

Old National Liquidators site being repurposed into tile and stone store.

Back