Dorm Tower @ Emerson College | 1-3 Boylston Place | Downtown

Yea. Emerson can go fuck itself for destroying this alley.

Since I'm not familiar with this alley, how has it been destroyed? Have all the bars/taverns/music venues been kicked out? Will anything be left when this project is finished?

Since I'm not familiar with this alley, how has it been destroyed? Have all the bars/taverns/music venues been kicked out? Will anything be left when this project is finished?

The building looks good for a new build, the problem here is the conversion of use from commercial/nighclub/ tavern etc. to an institutional use where the public will no longer be welcome. Specifically, Sweetwater Tavern and the Estate Nightclub were closed for the dorm project.

The building looks good for a new build, the problem here is the conversion of use from commercial/nighclub/ tavern etc. to an institutional use where the public will no longer be welcome. Specifically, Sweetwater Tavern and the Estate Nightclub were closed for the dorm project.

Then they should have bought the space themselves.

We have to remind ourselves that dorm construction like this is really about affordable housing.

All the colleges and universities in Boston are under intense city pressure to get their students out of the rental housing market and into dorms. Every time one of these dorms goes up a large number of apartments become available for middle income renters (since most students don't rent luxury units). Emerson had to build the dorm somewhere near campus.

The gatekeeper top-hatted bear is still there so everything will be fine.

$$$$$ those bars make to much money. If they leave this area then the owners will locate elsewhere. It might be hard to find a receptive area however

There isn't a lot of space in the city for these nightclubs to relocate to. The Seaport has some "club" type bar/restaurants opening up, but none of these will match the type of club scene that Estate Nightclub offered.

This nightlife issue is effecting a lot of cities (NYC, London, Berlin), not unique to Boston.

I am 37. Even when I was a younger guy going to "nightclubs", there was lament among the older folks that all the good places in the city had already closed (read Kenmore Sq.). I tend to think that this is not only an issue of rent/gentrification, but also that that kind of scene is not necessarily what "kids" these days are really after. The rock& roll/punk scene here that existed in the late 70's early 80's is dead, and there is nowhere near as much interest in Boston (or the space) for any kind of warehouse space that could hold large scale electronic music parties. The only place left is Landsdowne St, and that place is owned by 2 corporate monoliths.

Trying to stay positive, there could be a case made for the area around the "Blue Hills Bank Pavillion" (what the f is that kind of name, it's at sea level!) to put up a shitty building or two and get a party going. It's on public transit, next to the Harpoon brewery, and sound at that location is certainly not an issue. Either that or somebody has to get going in Dudley Square.

So I do not derail, the building in question is just whatever. Don't complain about that alley when in 20 years the transportation building gets bulldozed and turned into god knows what.

The city is changing. Dive hangouts are becoming a thing of the past. I can't remember the last time I ordered 2 pitchers of beer and put a buck in the pool table anywhere near this place.

(Which is why I get my beer at the Tam)

Club Royale on tremont street has had some pretty good edm events, I will admit that Boston is totally lacking in terms of a real edm scene, I would argue that it is largely in part because people in Boston are really main stream but Boston is also just lacking good night life in general.

I think Boston's issue is exacerbated by it's geographically small size. Urban renewal erased scollay square, the city did everything in it's power to gentrify the combat zone and the surrounding theater district, BU took care of Kenmore Sq., Landsdowne St went corporate. The area around North Station is increasingly filling with residential use. Many of the areas that would have been hospitable to a growing nightlife scene are no longer available. Further, the remaining core neigborhoods, Beacon Hill, North End, Back Bay, S. End., Southie and the North End are all densely residential and well organized to resist the development of a budding nightlife district full of noisy bars or clubs.

I nominate this project for the biggest overreaction in archboston history.

I think Boston's issue is exacerbated by it's geographically small size. Urban renewal erased scollay square, the city did everything in it's power to gentrify the combat zone and the surrounding theater district, BU took care of Kenmore Sq., Landsdowne St went corporate. The area around North Station is increasingly filling with residential use. Many of the areas that would have been hospitable to a growing nightlife scene are no longer available. Further, the remaining core neigborhoods, Beacon Hill, North End, Back Bay, S. End., Southie and the North End are all densely residential and well organized to resist the development of a budding nightlife district full of noisy bars or clubs.

This. The situation is so alarming,

i called for $2M study and beer pub czar (last year in The Globe).

This. The situation is so alarming,

i called for $2M study and beer pub czar (last year in The Globe).

Why? Strong nightlife has really never been a part of the culture or identity of Boston. People don't move here for it or come here for it so I don't see why it should be rammed down the throats of residents.

Were you here for any of the '80s? Might not have been Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville, but it was damn good you ask me. I'm willing to agree with part of your sentiment, and about the eclectic youth of today. And we're a town busy studying and working it's ass off.

But, it's become bland.

i don't drink much. And i was gone for 12 years running a business on the Mexican Riviera.

We had a solid aggregate collection of pubs, dive bars, warehouses and restaurants. Peak Bar should have been maintained through this robust period of building. Population is up 100k. We've been on this lousy, long trip downward that needs to be reversed.

Capitalism and market forces can help. But, the nimby wall pushes back.

We shouldn't promote the route we are on AT ALL.

The clip explains it better than i can do....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EBw_da7BZk

Back