Dorm Tower @ Emerson College | 1-3 Boylston Place | Downtown

Maybe...but shouldn't a mature cost-of-capital treatment view these as rough equivalents? I.e the opportunity cost of tying up cash flow in out-of-pocket financing should be in the same ballpark as the interest rate on paying for it through debt financing?

Some colleges and universities don't seem to worry about opportunity costs. Looking at Amherst's balance sheet, as of June 30, 2015, it had $132 million in cash and cash equivalents, and it had spent about $170 million to operate the college for the 2014-15 academic year.

And its not that Amherst doesn't have debt, it paid over $17 million in debt service last year. .....
Looking at balance sheets for Emerson and Suffolk neither could finance a new dorm from cash flow.

Emerson, on June 30, 2014, had $24 million in cash and cash equivalents, and paid $13 million in interest that fiscal year.

Suffolk, on June 30, 2015, Suffolk had $2 million in cash and cash equivalents, and paid about $20 million in interest that year.

chin072916SuffolkUniversityBuildings_Biz3.jpg

^^^ From the lede of an article on Suffolk's financial prospects in today's Globe.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...agency-says/DNQgj8bJVicQ5kxJ8w7TVN/story.html

"i'll take him for ballast chief..."

passionless, souless, urban ballast.

Love how this is coming down to the ground. Nicely done.

cca

Love how this is coming down to the ground. Nicely done.

cca

Second this. How this tower meets the ground is brilliantly contextual with the brickwork and modern interpretation of the bay window rhythm.

At least we get that out of the sterilization of The Alley.

Maybe you mean disinfected?

cca

Wow, I cannot believe the base (or any part of this project) turned out well. I almost gotta say no harm no foul here.

How did they get so much of the tower plopped on top of the brownstone?

Did they gut part of it and excavate to install piles?

Yea. Emerson can go fuck itself for destroying this alley.

I'm glad they basically got told to Fuck Off with the idea of converting the Colonial into a cafeteria.

Back