Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

Damn, I think I should give up on this whole photography thing...

019_zpsa4bf5a35.jpg

Construction has been delayed a bit (they were first supposed to open last November) because of a late discovery that the original owners added 8 new stories in the 1910s to address DTC's original development boom.

I love learning new stuff like this so I can sound even more like a know-it-all to my friends. (Seriously.)

I like how some of the floor plans don't even have a bed. The couch is even labeled "sleeping area". :rolleyes:

Totally agree.. Either a murphy bed or a loft bed.

It can be done.. I've done it. The trick is not to go out but to go UP instead.

BUT seriously.. 1700+ for a studio? It better be luxury at that price. (or as I like to say.. it better come with a daily bl*w j*b.)

Last edited:
With all the new apartments being built in DTX and Chinatown, are we going to see a 25,000 square foot grocery store in the near future?

I love learning new stuff like this so I can sound even more like a know-it-all to my friends. (Seriously.)

I should note, it's not like I'm a Hamilton Co. employee or anything. All I did was very politely and sincerely ask the guy who was obviously the construction manager, when I spotted him on the street one day when he wasn't in discussion with his foremen, what the reason was for the delay--after all, they'd originally had a huge "leasing in November [i.e. 2012]" banner up there... it's amazing what you can learn from being polite and not wielding a hidden agenda.

My question, though, was what occupied the remaining floors of this building before the recent conversion.

Mostly small law firms and other commercial office related uses etc. The landlord stopped renewing leases awhile ago so I know of one law firm that moved out of the building for that reason.

It will be interesting to see what goes into the first and second floors. I would think the second floor would be a great restaurant space.

It will be interesting to see what goes into the first and second floors. I would think the second floor would be a great restaurant space.

Yes, although said hypothetical restaurant would have to compete with the very real restaurant that is going in at the former Locke-Ober's and will be open as early as this summer. Presumably, the Locke-Ober's replacement should attract huge crowds (at least at the outset). Who wouldn't want to go see the successor to an establishment that opened during The Grant Administration.

(Down the road, it would also have to compete with any restaurant coming online across the street at Millennium Tower.)

Last edited:
DTX won't be over run with restaurants until I can get a seat at the bar at Curley's again.

How is that different from every restaurant in downtown crossing? The restaurant interested in Lock-Obers hasn't even signed yet, or at least not as of last week.

http://boston.eater.com/archives/2012/12/12/mantra-space-may-become-bostons-first-upscale-greek.php

I mention the Locke-Ober replacement restaurant because of its extreme proximity to any potential restaurant at 8 Winter St.--they'd be practically abutting. I'm not sure what you mean by "hasn't even signed yet"--the construction on the new restaurant has been ongoing for months now. They started building immediately after they bought the Locke-Ober building.

Not really, they may be cleaning it up. I was in there in December. Last I heard no restaurant signed.

I hope that the more restaurants the better the area becomes.

Last edited:
Not really, they may be cleaning it up. I was in there in December. Last I heard no restaurant signed.

I hope that the more restaurants the better the area becomes.

My mistake; you might be right. But it seems like an awful vigorous amount of work for a mere "clean-up," no? And if it's merely a clean-up, then why would they have put the butcher paper up covering the windows? And they put that butcher paper up almost immediately after the sale last fall.

Call me naive, but for me, the butcher paper is a tell-tale giveaway that the restaurant is being installed. Or else, what would they have to hide--some guy sandblasting a floor? (again, if it is just a clean-up)

I cannot share the source, but I learned last November that there is already a restaurant slated to go in and replace Locke Ober. It'll essentially be a contemporary, high-end restaurant directed at the business crowd. And I don't remember the owner's name, but he/she has a few other high-end restaurants either around Boston or in NYC.

I was there for a Christmas party in December and there was obviously no paper on the window that night. I know there is a restaurant lined up but last I heard they hadn't signed. I'm glad it looks like it's moving fast, hopefully the restaurant signs soon.

Back