Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

My above post ... how classy.

Anyway, I'm working in DTX the next three weeks. I'm almost always a pessimist about its potential but I've kind of changed my perception ... a bit.

There are a couple new retail for lease signs up, which is encouraging - the corner of Hayward and Washington at 500 Washington and at the other corner of Millennium Place, and I assume there's going to be retail at street level of MP?

The Opera House holds 2,667 people - having them go in and out 8 times per week has an amazing effect on the neighborhood.

On the flip side, I was at the corner of Winter & Washington Tuesday for about 30 seconds before I saw my first police action. Two guys thrown down and put in the back of a police wagon. Then, last night, I walked into Boston Common Coffee and a woman was shrieking that her bag had just been stolen, and then tonight at the theater some lady had fallen on the floor who had strolled in off the street and was obviously off her meds.

Whoa!!! This is the type of thing that makes Ron Newman hyperventilate.

Did everyone know about this?

While demoing the old Boston Theatre, workers discovered an intact 18th-century, two and 1/2-story frame of a house inside of it ... complete with slate roof and windows.

Presumably, they just tore the whole thing down. Shame, for its historic nature. This thing had more original wood than what the Paul Revere House has today ...

Me too. What newspaper is that article from, and what is its date?

The Opera House (Keith Memorial) was built on this site after the Boston Theatre was demolished.

On the topic of the Boston Opera House and Downtown Crossing...

Book of Mormon is playing in Boston for the next two weeks. I just went to see it this evening.

My life is changed.

Go buy a ticket and see it now!

I tried. The whole run sold out in like 2 days.

There are hundreds of tickets on Stub Hub. I bought mine on Thursday for the Friday show.

Did you buy any merchandise? That was me.

I did, but I bought it from an older woman at the end of the show. I remember what you look like from a couple BRA meetings we went to last year.

The newspaper article is from the New York Times on March 4, 1926. I can't find any other articles about this or any other details on Google.

On the topic of the Boston Opera House and Downtown Crossing...

Book of Mormon is playing in Boston for the next two weeks. I just went to see it this evening.

My life is changed.

Go buy a ticket and see it now!

The prices for this are absolutely insane. No thanks. I'll just rewatch the South Park episode for free.

BTW, show added for Book of Mormon for Thursday at 1pm. Was rescheduled from last Friday night during martial law. Tickets seem to be plentiful.

When I was there on Sunday it looks like they only had to take the covers off the window and they would be good.

From the BID news letter

Next week's grand opening kicks off with a "Walgreens Up Market Fresh Mobile Tour," a multi-day extravaganza featuring a mobile truck unit.
The truck, which will be staffed by Walgreens brand ambassadors, will be stationed on the Walgreens plaza April 28th-30th, from 10 am-3 pm daily. It will be serving up squeezed juice, smoothies, frozen yogurt, coffee, and espresso--all fresh and all free!

All free?! Hell yeah, I'm there!

Also loving how this is turning out. That shot from BeeLine reminds me of the good ol days of Filene's. =)

Maybe it's been mentioned...

A really decent looking Vietnamese pho and bánh mì restaurant is opening at the corner of Kingston and Bedford, across from The Good Life. Formerly a pizzeria/sandwich shop.

Back