Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

I had a banh mi sandwich from there. It was ok, but since I can get a much better one so close by, I don't think I'll be back.

938724_10151467310322669_238673701_o.jpg

They're almost ready. They had a delivery of soda and ice cream the other day.

Also, they had chairs and tables delivered for use on the plaza out front. Awesomest Walgreens ever!

So what space can/should CVS take over to keep this game of one-upsmanship going? Surely they're devising strategies as we speak.

To be fair, this Walgreens seems like it's more of a Euro-style Woolworth or Kaufhof or something, not simply a pharmacy/convenience store.

So what space can/should CVS take over to keep this game of one-upsmanship going? Surely they're devising strategies as we speak.

South Station, to the detriment of people who like to drink before getting on a train.

DTX's CVS is definitely going to be hurting post-Walgreens. Porter Square's CVS, maybe not so much. The location advantage in Porter is much greater. Way more visible, and the pedestrian volume won't be equal, but will actually be greater at that CVS.

DTX's CVS is definitely going to be hurting post-Walgreens. Porter Square's CVS, maybe not so much. The location advantage in Porter is much greater. Way more visible, and the pedestrian volume won't be equal, but will actually be greater at that CVS.

I wouldn't expect DTX's CVS to be hurt badly. The fact is that eight out of 10 Bostonians I know have an extracare card on their keychain for CVS and for the quick conveniences of what's familiar to them, they will wander into the CVS. That's not to say that I expect Luxury Walgreens to fail--quite the opposite. I think they're just two different choices that can coexist compatibly together. Like Lord & Taylor and Saks Fifth Avenue at the Prudential Mall, or Qdoba and Boloco across the street from each other at Northeastern.

I know if it has been said before, but this Walgreen's is going to be a huge boost for that stretch of DTX. The Old South Building has at least two if not three vacancies. Pink finally caved after conceeding that no one wants to pay $250 for a Banana Republic shirt while paying $80 to $100/SF NNN. The traffic caused by Walgreen's will bring the same rent, but it will allow for 7 day, rather than 5 day foot traffic, thus justifying the rent.

The corner of School and Washington has morphed into this tourist / Financial District lunch crossroads. Border's was great, but Commonwealth Books is great as well. I loved being able to get flowers and tonic from the Old South Guy at 10:00 the other night coming home from the B's game.

Maybe I am getting old, but the Famine statues are starting to grow on me.

I hope Le Walgreen's does well. I'm still a CVS guy, but I hope they do well all the same.

Also, word has gotten to me that Arnold's move towards the Menino Hole has already having deals being signed on the periphery of DTX for retail space.

I wouldn't expect DTX's CVS to be hurt badly. The fact is that eight out of 10 Bostonians I know have an extracare card on their keychain for CVS and for the quick conveniences of what's familiar to them, they will wander into the CVS. That's not to say that I expect Luxury Walgreens to fail--quite the opposite. I think they're just two different choices that can coexist compatibly together. Like Lord & Taylor and Saks Fifth Avenue at the Prudential Mall, or Qdoba and Boloco across the street from each other at Northeastern.

Which CVS are we talking about here. There are at least 2 if not 3 in Downtown Crossing. I don't think the large one on Summer Street will see a significant decline in sales. The one on Washington Street (or are there two?) is a different story. I fully expect the sales to decline there at least a bit of not more since it is so close to the Walgreens.

Which CVS are we talking about here. There are at least 2 if not 3 in Downtown Crossing. I don't think the large one on Summer Street will see a significant decline in sales. The one on Washington Street (or are there two?) is a different story. I fully expect the sales to decline there at least a bit of not more since it is so close to the Walgreens.

The CVS coming out of Northstation is a cashcow. Great ideas for innovation of Boston retail sector. I also heard that another CVS Midwest style might roll-out in the Seaport district with the help of a taxbreak or two. BRA thinking outside the box.

Here's a map of the CVS locations in the area. The new Walgreen's is right next to #2.

I took a walk over to the Walgreens shortly after its grand opening this morning. Very impressive space although quite chaotic but that's probably because everyone wanted to see what the fuss was all about. One thing I will say is that the liquor prices are absurd. One example: a handle of Captain Morgan was $35. That same handle can be found for $20 or so in New Hampshire and around $25 locally if you know where to look. I expected high prices but not that high. Sushi actually looked respectable. A slight step up from supermarket sushi (at least by looks which admittedly can be deceiving when it comes to sushi). All in all a nice addition to Downtown Crossing especially since we are talking about a Walgreens.

The layout is awesome! But damn was it packed. Can't wait until it clears out a little -- definitely over the top being the grand opening day. This place is awesome, and should set the bar for centrally located 'convenience' stores.

Ultimately, this is a hybrid of convenience and super market, really, and thus that's why I note "centrally located". This doesn't kill off your corner stores, but it's a big hit for a downtown core or transit hub.

Back