Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

Commonwealth Books isn't especially old-school; I think it arrived in Boston within the past 20 years, and it used to be down next to the Colonial Theatre rather than in Downtown Crossing.

What's inside the Felt building on upper floors? Is it also nightclub space?

Such a pretty building. Such a shame it's empty.

Then you're really not thinking very hard, are you? My, where to begin:

--Brattle Book Shop
--Bromfield Camera Shop
--Bromfield Pen Shop
--The Watch Hospital
--Essex Corner (some might say that's Chinatown, but I think it's more in Downtown Crossing)
--Winmil Fabrics (ditto--it's right next door to Essex Corner)
--Peter Stern Rare Books (Pi Alley, north entrance)
--Commonwealth Books (Spring Lane)

And if by "Old School," you simply mean, "non-chain, mom-and-pop operation," there are newer folks like:

--King Frame
--CityGolf Boston

And yes, I know, the majority of these are on Bromfield St. Nevertheless...

By "old school" I was thinking turn of the century or prior (Stoddard's, Filene's, Jordan Marsh, Locke-Ober, etc). How far back do those shops date?

When did Felt leave? I played a few gigs there and though I'd like to get all nostalgic over the place, it never seemed like a right fit for the area.

The top floor was a low ceilinged room covered in orange fuzzy fabric. I booked it once for a party. It was kind of grotty and pimpilicious.

When did Felt leave? I played a few gigs there and though I'd like to get all nostalgic over the place, it never seemed like a right fit for the area.

It's been at least a couple years now. And I don't think it was due to lack of business. They had problems with the usual drunken shenanigans, lost their liquor lic a few times, and eventually the city said 'no more'.

It's been at least a couple years now. And I don't think it was due to lack of business. They had problems with the usual drunken shenanigans, lost their liquor lic a few times, and eventually the city said 'no more'.

If I remember correctly, they had some licensing issues -- they transferred their liquor license to a new entity that had some new equity holders and failed to mention it.

http://www.universalhub.com/2012/landlord-seeks-new-club-replace-felt-shut-state-ov

Edit: Uhub link

Ha! I wish the third floor had retained the cassette conveyer belt. There are ghosts on that floor that must still say "I had the Howard Jones and Alphaville".

Yuck. None of the living areas actually have windows, only the bedrooms. The living rooms are "lit" by transom windows above the bedroom walls. Kitchens are stark and under designed as well. No in-unit W/D.

Not for the claustrophobic.

Wow, these are really strange layouts. Is it code that bedrooms need a window? That's the only reason I can think for why they wouldn't make the bedrooms interior and prioritize windows on the living space. Just sort of logically, if the bedroom is where I sleep - typically at night - it's where I would least need the view. It's the compromise we accepted in our current place, where our bedroom faces onto a wall, but the living room and kitchen have great expansive views.

4BR 4 Bath - still no natural light in the livingroom or kitchen and I think one bedroom doesn't even have a window either (code violation?). I don't think these are going like the proverbial hotcakes.

I'm no expert (really) but my understanding is you can have "rooms for sleeping in" without windows but you can't advertise them as "bedrooms". Bedrooms pretty much have to have a window, a closet, and be at least 7'x10' in size, from what I've gathered over the years.

Hmm, I think I would prefer a bedroom without a window, honestly. Noise dampening.

I stayed in a hotel in San Juan in a beautiful old building with an interior atrium. The room was completely interior, so the window just overlooked the atrium. Clever. And much less noisy.

Might as well put this post here since M. Steinert & Sons is close to Downtown Crossing.

The Secret Underground Theater on Boylston Street
By Joshua Coe, Emerson College Community Radio

Regular listeners will remember a story we ran a few weeks ago on a pair of artists hoping to transform the abandoned MBTA tunnels beneath Boylston Street into an walk-through gallery and performance space. That story was put together by reporter Joshua Coe. While working on that story, Josh stumbled across another underground marvel beneath Emerson.

He began hearing rumors of an underground theater built in 1896 beneath the M. Steinert & Sons piano store. The music hall was supposedly “acoustically perfect” but left abandoned after it being condemned long ago.

Josh starting asking employees at the piano store about the theatre, but no one really wanted to talk with him about the theater. The building manager flat out refused to talk with him. Finally, after talking with a half dozen or so employees, Josh finally got the number for Paul Murphy, the President of M. Steinert and Sons and the store’s resident historian, who was able to tell him that—yes—the rumors are true. The underground theater beneath Boylston Street does exist, it’s known to employees as Steinert Hall.

M. Steinert & Sons was founded in 1860 by Morris Steinert, a German immigrant. With the help of his sons, he developed a chain of piano stores specializing in the sale of Steinways. He came to Boston with the aspiration of opening a store on the famed “Piano Row” district which, in the late 1800’s was centered on Washington Street. Unable to find a space there, he opened on Boylston Street. Paul Murphy’s family has led the business since 1916.

What is now the center of Emerson college was in the 1900’s the center of the Boston music industry. Around these piano stores theaters were built. Steinert Hall also doubled as a recital hall and later a recording studio. The hall was built by one of Steinert’s sons, Alexander, who wanted a venue for area musicians and a place show off the store’s selection of pianos. The hall hosted everything from piano recitals to opera singers to attract customers.

“It was a very nice acoustic environment, it used to be called the “Little Jewel,’” Murphy says.

Unfortunately the “Little Jewel” closed its doors almost 60 years ago due to updated building codes. The curious hall now serves as a mausoleum for dusty, crippled and out-of-use pianos. But Steinert store has continued to live on, as the last of bygone era when Boston was one of the leaders in piano manufacturing. But the store still continues to thrive today. Mr. Murphy even tells me that they still host piano recitals from time to time.

“People say we’re good because we’re old,” he says, “but I like to think we’re old because we’re good.”

I have heard it described as being acoustically inert, something having to do with the fact that it is made of concrete.

It was being let out occasionally a few years ago for recording sessions.

Back