Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

Remember when Victor Gruen proposed building a pedestrian bridge over Tremont Street at Winter Street?

XLm8eOO.png

^ Not just building a bridge over Tremont but enclosing ALL of Winter Street AND part of Washington St! There's a skylight over Washington!

This is an astounding find.

Now you know why Victor Gruen is known as the father of the American mall!

Kinda reminds me of Michigan Ave actually.

And, who could forget, plans for not one but two Carveyors.

vlBwcs9.png

8X21jM7.png

(These images not of Boston's but other cities:)

JODFWAQ.jpg

MF28Dq4.jpg

Very informative article by Bisnow on the future of Downtown Boston.

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/boston/2522-the-new-old-downtown/

The article states that there will be upgrades to new "metal kiosks" for street vendors downtown, here's a serperate article on the kiosks by Boston Herald:
http://bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2014/06/rollout_anticipated_for_new_pushcart_kiosks_downtown
Upgrades to downtown Boston’s pushcart program are slated to begin in September with a test of new mobile retail kiosks.

The Downtown Boston Business Improvement District is seeking city approval to put six of the structures on the Old State House plaza, Washington Street in front of Walgreens and School Street.

The custom-designed, moveable metal kiosks are 4 feet across and 8 feet high when open. They have storage and can be locked and left in place overnight.

The Godfrey Hotel (the last few pictures) is a remarkably active site considering most of the work is interior. This project has kind of flown under the radar especially since it is sandwiched between the two much larger Millennium developments. But I am excited to see whether this hotel (no small boutique hotel at 238 rooms) brings some much needed evening activity to this area. I've long since believed that Downtown Crossing could benefit from more hotel rooms and more entertainment options and I think both kinds of businesses could do very well in this part of town.

Re: Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

Bump

No seriously...bisnow event recently had one Larry DiCara call for the relocation of city hall to Winthrop square.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/real-...ording-business-leaders/#.U_OJYxC7VcU.twitter

Even though it doesn't mean anything...I still like the idea of having Boston's tallest tower located there...although if govt center was able to be redeveloped the possibilities are endless.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Walsh moved for this idea sometime during his mayoral tenure. City Hall is going to have to be replaced eventually no matter what. Winthrop Square is as good a place as any for a new city hall; far better than Menino's South Boston idea.

Not to mention, wasn't Walsh campaigning on tearing down city hall and renting some space in an office tower? That'd seemed like a fairly sensible position to me - especially given the way technology should hopefully reduce the need for a city to have a massive singlular physical presence over the next century.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Walsh moved for this idea sometime during his mayoral tenure. City Hall is going to have to be replaced eventually no matter what. Winthrop Square is as good a place as any for a new city hall; far better than Menino's South Boston idea.

Not to mention, wasn't Walsh campaigning on tearing down city hall and renting some space in an office tower? That'd seemed like a fairly sensible position to me - especially given the way technology should hopefully reduce the need for a city to have a massive singlular physical presence over the next century.

He definitely did campaign with that, I'm curious to see if he actually does anything with it. Of course he has some bigger and more immediate fish to fry.

I have often thought this would be a great idea. That said, the Gov't Center site is a really good location. If the existing city hall was demolished and something tall was put there, the city could lease back the first few floors. If there was a "need" for a strong physical presence you could make a distinctive podium. The proximity to the Green, Blue, and Orange Lines is great and you could probably even put in an underground access between Gov't Center T station and a tower.

I have often thought this would be a great idea. That said, the Gov't Center site is a really good location. If the existing city hall was demolished and something tall was put there, the city could lease back the first few floors. If there was a "need" for a strong physical presence you could make a distinctive podium. The proximity to the Green, Blue, and Orange Lines is great and you could probably even put in an underground access between Gov't Center T station and a tower.

You think a high rise is feasible given FAA and all those tunnels underneath?

Guess Penn Station demo didn't get all the lessons learned that need to be learned. Not everything can or should be saved but City Hall is a Brutalist masterpiece. As has been said many times it's the wasteland of a plaza that's the problem. CH needs renovation love not a wrecking ball.

Guess Penn Station demo didn't get all the lessons learned that need to be learned. Not everything can or should be saved but City Hall is a Brutalist masterpiece. As has been said many times it's the wasteland of a plaza that's the problem. CH needs renovation love not a wrecking ball.

I took a shit this morning that was a fecal masterpiece. Still flushed the toilet though....

Reno the interior and turn it into the Boston museum? Its on the Greenway and Freedom Trail.

Crap is still crap no matter how you spin it. People today see Brutalist style the same way architects see PoMo.

Reno the interior and turn it into the Boston museum? Its on the Greenway and Freedom Trail.

I had this same thought earlier. Ive always thought the interior would be good for an exhibition space but Im not sure how all of the offices would be used. How costly would it be to renovate the building and would it suit any of the proposed museums.

Regarding the plaza, could a tower be successfully built there and what would replace the plaza for the many events that are held there.

Larry DiCara suggested moving municipal government's headquarters to Winthrop Square and turning City Hall (the building) into the Boston Museum with cultural uses for the upper floors.

Back