Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

Re: Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

does 33 arch ensure that the garage can never be removed?

Anyone know why there were so many fire trucks around 7pmish today? I was at Caffe Nero and like 5 of them came, one of them extending its ladder up the building across the street.

14279176734_d470f07d60_b.jpg

^ Lunch was free today at Pret if you stopped by this morning and got a voucher. The grand opening is officially tomorrow.

This is also the largest Pret in the entire USA.

That's a lot of people waiting in line for a $6 cold cut sandwich. Or is my impression of Pret way off? I've only been to 1 in London.

^ I'm in the same boat. Went in the Boylston location once, was underwhelmed, bought an (admittedly decent) cold cut sandwich and walked out.

That's a lot of people waiting in line for a $6 cold cut sandwich. Or is my impression of Pret way off? I've only been to 1 in London.

You are basically right. At least in London, it's like a slightly updated / better or just different version of Au Bon Pain.

It's nothing to write home about, but nothing to complain about either. And given the state of the sandwich market in London where the main competitor is Marks & Spencer (awful) and the independents are, let's say, unrefined, it is a godsend. Particularly in the City / West End.

An almost identical formulation could be made about Cafe Nero.

Pret has hot sandwiches too. Their bbq pork rollup with cheese is decent for what it is.

Pret has hot sandwiches too. They bbq pork rollup with cheese is decent for what it is.

Love BBQ pork. Thanks for the tip. (related: JM Curley has a killer pulled pork sandwich - try it if you get the chance!)

An almost identical formulation could be made about Cafe Nero.
I was in a few weeks ago and agree. Starbucks with slightly nicer interior, food, and coffee. Good for a quick cheap meal if you're in the area, but not a destination in and of itself. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Last edited:
Love BBQ pork. Thanks for the tip. (related: JM Curley has a killer pulled pork sandwich - try it if you get the chance!)

I have been dying to try the Curley's pork sandwich but I am only there once every few months and can't resist the burger! Don't get your hopes up that the Pret pork sandwich is anywhere near the same ballpark. But serviceable in a pinch.

I have been dying to try the Curley's pork sandwich but I am only there once every few months and can't resist the burger! Don't get your hopes up that the Pret pork sandwich is anywhere near the same ballpark. But serviceable in a pinch.

Egads! It's ethically objectionable to even mention jm Curley and Pret in the same sentence (unless, of course, that sentence is stating how ethically objectionable it is).

Does anyone remember those Hulu commercials, where the tagline was "an evil plot to destroy the world?" I'm pretty convinced that Pret literally was devised by aliens -- possibly robot aliens -- as an evil plot to enslave and overthrow the human race. Whenever I walk out of there carrying one of those little sandwich boxes, with the avocado and the balsamic vinegar and what have you, I feel like an ant happily crawling across the floor with a fat chunk of borax.

from what the signage says, both buildings are the godfrey. But what do I know :)

Is the Godfrey both of those buildings? I thought the one on the left was going to be something different. It needs a lot more work.

If you look closely at the renderings, both buildings appear to be occupied by the Godfrey hotel with ground floor retail.

59-Temple-Place_Exterior-Proposed-reduced.jpg

Back