Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

I remember when Macy and/or Filene's would put out flags for some cosmetic company and they were pure white. By the end of the day they were filthy. And they left them up for weeks.

Speaking of wasteful boondoggles...there was an article in the Globe today regarding a Boston centered social networking website that the mayor wants to create at a cost of $1 million. At least Flaherty had the good sense to rip the mayor for such an absurd waste of money.

As for DTX...the only thing that is going to 'rebrand' the area is a substantive change. Filenes and 45 Province will definitely help. The city can contribute with new paving and street furniture.

Would any of those who's reaction to crime in downtown crossing was - it never happend to me so there can't be a problem - like to comment on the Globe's article?

I used to fell very safe there but now it's gang central! I don,t want to be an innocent by stander that get's shot!

I walk through Downtown Crossing every day. Do some of the teenagers make me a bit uneasy? Perhaps. Have I ever had a problem with anyone? No. As the article states, most of the problems are between the teenagers, not between the teenagers and the strangers.

I realize that part of being in a city is that you may sometimes be around people who you don't feel comfortable around. Whether the fear is real or perceived depends on ones' own experiences. I would much rather have the teenagers there and deal with my own insecurities than kick them out and turn DTX into another upscale area full of uppity white people.

City's retail vision requires changing a youth hangout

For now, according to residents and business owners, the area is short of the world-class shopping destination the city has long envisioned.

"I think it's disappointing," said Alana Menitoff, who manages a handbag vending cart on Washington Street.

Says Alana, who stongly believes her cart is a positive contribution to the world-class destination envisioned.....*sigh*.

cden4: great, could you give us your address? we'll ship them all over to your house.

hahaha ^^.

Can anyone answer why dtx (i know i know, but easier to type) has to even be a "world class" shopping area? (what is that anyways?) We already have Newbury st. (which dtx will never rival in terms of reputation) and copley/prudential malls, which also has all the expensive stuff.

History aside, I would rather this become a student infused neighborhood with an active night scene and more trendy/hip/original destinations than a so called "world class" shopping area.

I know this might sound crazy but i had a bad morning and am taking it out on Menino.

I think it's great that young people are choosing to shop in Downtown Crossing. This means it's more likely they'll continue to shop there as they get older. I'd be much more concerned about the district's future if its main customer base were people my age and above.

To sum up the Globe article for those who don't want to read it: GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS!!!

...turn DTX into another upscale area full of uppity white people.
Barack Obama was called uppity by some Southern politician ... so what would you think about uppity black people?

Do they actually shop?
Of course they are, why do you think there a hundreds of sneaker stores, youth clothing shops, jewelry shops and cell phone stores in there area. How many business suits are being purchased at Hip Zeppi and Wet Seal?

Last edited:
quote (most of the problems are between the teenagers, not between the teenagers and the strangers.) like I said I don,t want to be an innocent bystander! We have the same problem in Dot .I live in a beautiful nieghboorhood,I have 2 bullet holes in my house,8 kids shot or shot to death outside my gate,anything to do with me? no! but I still could be an innocent bystander caught in the middle.So, I take enough chances at home I don,t need to get caught up in it while I,m shopping downtown.ps I do most of my shopping in Quincy very safe!

Barack Obama was called uppity by some Southern politician ... so what would you think about uppity black people?

First, I don't agree that Obama is uppity. Second, I don't like uppity people in general, or anyone who thinks they're "better" than someone else.

^^You "could" also win Megabucks. In fact your odds are probably a lot better.

I think it's great that young people are choosing to shop in Downtown Crossing. This means it's more likely they'll continue to shop there as they get older. I'd be much more concerned about the district's future if its main customer base were people my age and above.

I walk through Downtown Crossing at least twice a day. The vast majority of the young folks that are referenced in the Globe article do not shop in Downtown Crossing save for the occasional fast food purchase. There is a reason the store vacancy rate in Downtown Crossing is out of control and has been for years. There are storefronts that have been vacant for the better part of 5 years now.

...I don't like uppity people in general, or anyone who thinks they're "better" than someone else.
So ... it has nothing to do with race, right? That "uppity white people" just crept into your post, no meaning to the "white". Or maybe it just naturally goes with "uppity"?

I walk through Downtown Crossing at least twice a day. The vast majority of the young folks that are referenced in the Globe article do not shop in Downtown Crossing save for the occasional fast food purchase.

Who the hell is keeping Hip Zeppi, Wet Seal, Foot Locker, Lids, Skechers, Mahattan, etc in business? It ain't suburban kids coming in from Weston, it ain't the 9-5er's and it ain't the Ron Newmans.

Back