Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

^^^^
I'm pretty sure this used to be the old GOLDS GYM. Looks like Great windows on the upper levels of the building to view the beautiful streetscape.

I think DRUKER owns this POS.

For a sureal tour -- Google Maps has been where no-one else can go

Click on the link and you'll be able to get street-level views of the streets and buildings around the One Franklin Hole and the few remenants of the Filene's buildings

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...oid=7WsDj6G9WKREo2I3EfAo3Q&cbp=12,330.61,,0,0
This is before the tarp. It's nice to have these views frozen in time. I still remember these views vividly.

I don't understand this freight elevator unveiled in the demo. It always puzzled me: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1+Fra...AkUuOxzRZ_p8JzSsaw&cbp=12,354.19,,0,-8.1&z=19

Opened out to the canopy??

Last edited:
Speaking of tarps...

The replaced all the white tarps following Hurricane Irene. They were beginning to show rusty stains and I'm sure there was some rips and tears from the winds. It appears to have wrapped up and following/during that, they replaced the construction netting on the fence, which was One Franklin project themed, and it is now all entirely a generic green construction net as of last week. The also removed the sign from the corner of Franklin & Hawley last week or the week before.

Speaking of tarps...

The replaced all the white tarps following Hurricane Irene. They were beginning to show rusty stains and I'm sure there was some rips and tears from the winds. It appears to have wrapped up and following/during that, they replaced the construction netting on the fence, which was One Franklin project themed, and it is now all entirely a generic green construction net as of last week. The also removed the sign from the corner of Franklin & Hawley last week or the week before.

Yep. Officially dead.

For a sureal tour -- Google Maps has been where no-one else can go

Click on the link and you'll be able to get street-level views of the streets and buildings around the One Franklin Hole and the few remenants of the Filene's buildings

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...oid=7WsDj6G9WKREo2I3EfAo3Q&cbp=12,330.61,,0,0

Great post.

It looks like you're referring to some amazing views as seen from Hawley Street. From that POV, there are also also a small gallery of images posted.

I didn't realize Googlemaps wouldn't allow for "Pedestrian View" anywhere on Washington Street or Franklin Street around the Filene's hole. I guess that may be because the streets are restricted for commercial vehicles.

Great post.

It looks like you're referring to some amazing views as seen from Hawley Street. From that POV, there are also also a small gallery of images posted.

I didn't realize Googlemaps wouldn't allow for "Pedestrian View" anywhere on Washington Street or Franklin Street around the Filene's hole. I guess that may be because the streets are restricted for commercial vehicles.

The Googlemobile can't drive down Washington and thus cannot capture a StreetView. There were plans to launch Google's tricycle in Boston at Faneuil Hall Marketplace but it never happened. DTX was supposed to be the second ped. area in the country captured.

^data

Why can't Googlemobile do a quick run up Washington? Isn't it basically a small commercial vehicle with some type of bubblecam on the roof?

^data

Why can't Googlemobile do a quick run up Washington? Isn't it basically a small commercial vehicle with some type of bubblecam on the roof?

I think an exception should be made as well, especially seeing how Google has some pull because of their Cambridge HQ.

http://www.boston.com/Boston/businessupdates/2011/11/filene-basement-files-for-bankruptcy-again/5Yrg2O79EQoGVuTh8PpgCL/index.html?p1=News_links

Looks like whatever gets built on the Filene's site, it will definitively NOT include a Filene's Basement.

It was never the same Filenes Basement anyway. The glory days were long over. It will live in its own tomb under DTX for eternity. I hope they at least put a plaque up (like the Jordan Marsh one) when Filenes is redeveloped.

Going off topic, but this is a double whammy for the Newbry (New England Life) building in Back Bay, which also saw Borders Books go bankrupt and liquidate.

I think an exception should be made as well, especially seeing how Google has some pull because of their Cambridge HQ.

Is it possible that politics keeps Google from circling the Filene's hole?

The most they risk driving on Washington St. is a slap on the wrist or a ticket.

Is it possible that politics keeps Google from circling the Filene's hole?

The most they risk driving on Washington St. is a slap on the wrist or a ticket.

I would assume it's a matter of principle. Google only documents public streets that regular motorists are allowed to use. The Google trike was supposed to revolutionize the way we view ped areas but I never heard anything more about it. Google was planning to capture every outdoor mall in the country.

I would assume it's a matter of principle. Google only documents public streets that regular motorists are allowed to use. The Google trike was supposed to revolutionize the way we view ped areas but I never heard anything more about it. Google was planning to capture every outdoor mall in the country.

I like the idea of Google being principled. But regular motorists can't use the South Boston Bypass road (commercial only) either and it's visible from Pedestrian View.

Last edited:
Give Marcy Syms the Carly Fiorina Award for brash but inept female CEO

guess you're right about the liquidation...changed from yesterday when three stores were set to stay open.

Back