Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

It's not so much that they can't, but the In-N-Out business plan makes it very unlikely. It's a privately held firm that refuses to raise funds via debt or IPO, so expansion is fairly slow, paid for only by profit on existing locations. They could, of course, open their next store here, but they have yet to tap out the limited regional market that they are in, so why would they expand to unfamiliar territory? That's the second part of the model that makes the idea of them coming here difficult. Everything is fresh and local. They don't have the supply chain worked out for new regions, and again, why would they bother to do this homework when they can continue opening stores in the Southwest?

It's too bad In-N-Out will never be on the East Coast...........

Try this one -- a NYC import (also in Atlanta and Miami) called -- 5 Napkin Burger -- located in the Pru Complex -- but street level, outside on Huntington next to the Bridge to Copley Place and the Shaws

http://5napkinburger.com/back-bay-boston

"The 5 Napkin Burger is 10 ounces of fresh ground chuck topped with Gruyere cheese, caramelized onions and a rosemary aioli. In addition to the house burger, the menu features six other burgers: cheddar bacon, Italian turkey, lamb kofta burger, veggie burger, inside out burger and a burger salad.

At its core, 5 Napkin Burger is a great neighborhood restaurant. We have rounded out the burger section of the menu with a broad array of dishes that appeal to anyone in any group. Our menu offers hand-crafted sushi, appetizer and entree salads and a full selection of entrees.

The 5 Napkin menu has a lot to offer. The hardest question might be what to drink with your meal. Guests can choose from 50 beers, 100 wines and 10 specialty cocktails. Our atmosphere is casual and fun, so whatever you choose to eat or drink, be ready to enjoy yourself."

PS: last time I was by there they had sidewalk service with tables -- I I think this would be a good fit for DTX near to former Borders site

Does anyone know what building this is?
Brown cited apartment home sales data, apartment vacancy rates in the single digits and rising rents as indicators that the residential market is rebounding. His latest project is the transformation of the 12-story mid-rise office building in Downtown Crossing across from the former Filene’s building into 55 apartments. He expects to have the project completed by the end of next year and to rent the one-bedroom units for $1,600 and two-bedrooms for $2,200.

http://bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/view.bg?articleid=1373623&position=1

All In-n-Out locations are driving distance from their cow factories to ensure daily deliveries of fresh meat.

True but they can also open new factories which I believe they did recently in Texas in advance of store openings there. I'm not holding my breath but it is certainly possible in 5-10 years. Also, I don't really understand the complaints about the price of 5 Guys. Yes, a burger, soda and fries (easily enough fries for 2-3 people) costs about $10 but a similar meal at McDonalds these days costs $7. For an extra $3 per meal, I much prefer 5 Guys at least when it comes to the burger itself. Not even in the same league. Perhaps 5 Guys could be a $1 or so less expensive but people are crazy if they are expecting a burger, fries and a soda for under $8 from Five Guys.

The burgers from Five Guys are amazing, definitely worth it. Not a fan of their fries at all, personally try to get the burger there, then just grab the fries at McDonald's if it is convenient.

But I don't have either, much, and it was only convenient to do that once. :p

tasty burger in fenway. great quick burger in a unique spot. I go there from the north end once every couple weeks or so to get my fix.

I think this building is on the corner of Winter and Summer, kitty corner from Filenes. The landlord has not been renewing leases for office tenants and has been converting the building to residential. I believe there used to be a Sam Goody at the street level in the building, but now I think its a jewelry/knick knack type of store for teenage girls.

Thanks - I was wondering why I saw what looked like a liquidation ad for one of their stores in the Globe a couple of days ago.

Poor Arsenal Mall - will this closing kill it?

Last edited:
I think this building is on the corner of Winter and Summer, kitty corner from Filenes. The landlord has not been renewing leases for office tenants and has been converting the building to residential. I believe there used to be a Sam Goody at the street level in the building, but now I think its a jewelry/knick knack type of store for teenage girls.

Wow, that's an interesting outpost for residential development... I like it!

But I'd honestly miss hearing the soundtrack from The Godfather playing on the Filene's bells. Certainly residents would quickly grow weary of that wacky and eclectic playlist.

Thanks - I was wondering why I saw what looked like a liquidation ad for one of their stores in the Globe a couple of days ago.

Poor Arsenal Mall - will this closing kill it?

I don't think so. Forever 21 invested in a giant store there and Simon is currently adding a Subway to the food court. A brand new Chipotle just opened and is doing well too. Arsenal can survive without Filenes Basement.

But I'd honestly miss hearing the soundtrack from The Godfather playing on the Filene's bells. Certainly residents would quickly grow weary of that wacky and eclectic playlist.
I love the wacky playlist. Some days it'll be the theme from Love Story followed by The U.S. Air Force (aka Wild Blue Yonder). I noticed that they played The U.S. Air Force on a Friday a few weeks ago, on the same day that my nephew graduated from basic training at Lackland AFB and wondered if it was a coincidence.

The Uno Due Go is open today. Looks good inside. Ate breakfast there and am looking forward to having a deep-dish pizza for lunch.

Real estate
Downtown Crossing building is sold for $128m

Courtesy of CBRE’s National Retail Investment Group.

By Chris Reidy, Globe Staff

The Downtown Crossing building at 350 Washington St. has been sold for $128 million, said a broker involved in the transaction.

The building may be best known for such tenants as T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, H&M, and Town Sports International.

Real Estate Capital Partners sold the building to Invesco Real Estate Advisors, said the broker involved in the transaction.

The broker is the Boston office of CBRE’s National Retail Investment Group. CBRE said it represented the seller and procured the buyer. CBRE added that it has been retained as the exclusive leasing agent and property manager for the property.

The property was built in 1965 and extensively renovated in 2000, CBRE said.

http://www.boston.com/Boston/busine...37tXCGkvikN/index.html?p1=Well_Business_links

^maybe they'll finally tear it down and put up something nicer? Summer st-
010-42.jpg

having an active use at that corner will at least reduce the building's perceived ugliness a bit.

i hate that building with a passion...the fact that it's so prominent in a district the mayor blows so much is such a joke...its a horrible relic of the cement garage days and needs to be torn down faster than a fat girl in high school

I miss Woolworths though...used to be great for Halloween

From opening day through the last time I walked by (this past Friday) the other side of the large UDG sign was marred by large splotches where the brown paint is peeling away. I think it's probably still like that on that side.

It was as if the building owner could care less that they had a great new tenant.

Back