Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

^ Might be later than that, mid to late 50s, or some time in the 60s. I think I see a VW Beetle, directly above the horse's hind-quarters.

So there were still horse-drawn wagons trotting around that late?

Looks like the same ones that are around today gouging money from tourists.

The cars look to be between 1955-1960. The parking meter looks to be about that vintage.

The horse and wagon looks either to be photoshopped, or traveling to/from some commemorative event.

And if the carriage was photoshopped, the photo was post-1989. That means the cars would have been for a recent movie production, for a period piece circa 1960.

Checking IMDB. LOL.

In Cambridge in the 50's there still were 'rag men' and the 'vegetable men' who came by horse. The scissors and knife sharpening guy came by truck as did the Cushman Bakery guy.

Last edited:
And if the carriage was photoshopped, the photo was post-1989. That means the cars would have been for a recent movie production, for a period piece circa 1960.

Checking IMDB. LOL.

Photoshop isn't like time travel. You can Photoshop an image that was taken before Photoshop was created.

I think UrbEx is likely correct. Either that or this was the great Amish Invasion of '62.

The windowless area is indeed above ground parking

boston_common.png

Can any car buffs give an estimate of when this photo was taken based on the cars on Beacon St?

There are cars in the photo on Beacon St. clearly 1950's vintage

Given that not every car is state of the art -- my guess is the picuture if from about the time of the building of the Boston Common Parking Garage (late 1950's - early 1960's)

here's another Tremont St. photo

3385503544_69b11cd9ea.jpg

and one showing the fence at the Boylston / Charles corner (1950's)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mit-libraries/3384669577/

Given that not every car is state of the art -- my guess is the picuture if from about the time of the building of the Boston Common Parking Garage (late 1950's - early 1960's)

The picture of the horse-drawn wagon is from Walter Muir Whitehill and Katherine Knowles, "Boston: Portrait of a City" published 1964. Whitehill did the text, Knowles the photography. Strictly old Boston. Whitehill's caption under the photo reads "A late survival plods along Charles Street."

The anemic retail scene along Tremont Street is very unfortunate when you realize that the best retail stores in the city were located here at Temple Place, Winter St, West St from the late 19th century through the 60s. R. H. Stearns, C. Crawford Hollidge... This location always seems to have the makings for a revival but most of the action is now in Back Bay. Of course, the loss of stores here is part of the decline of the downtown scene on Washington and Summer Sts which was so big years ago. Now only one dept store remains. Sad.

You should have seen what Tremont St looked like 20, 30 years ago. It's a lot lot better.

The only things I can think of that are "better" now on this part of Tremont are Loews Boston Common cinema (replacing then-closed Astor/Tremont theatre) and Suffolk Law School (replacing a couple of low-rise buildings). Otherwise, what is better than 30 years ago?

The only things I can think of that are "better" now on this part of Tremont are Loews Boston Common cinema (replacing then-closed Astor/Tremont theatre) and Suffolk Law School (replacing a couple of low-rise buildings). Otherwise, what is better than 30 years ago?

You mean Tremont on the Common doesn't meet your wildest expectations and dazzle you with wonderment?!

Tremont St's history should be divided as pre-ToC and post-ToC.

Pre = good / great

Post = bad / awful

Tremont on the Common opened in 1969. It's 42 years old. The garage just needs a facadectomy and the ground level retail needs to be reworked.

SS Pierce was there and seem to sell only nips to the alcoholics. The Wok In was also there and resulted in huge piles of chicken bones and ribs across the street in the common. It may be great but it's a huge improvement. I don't think ToC caused the area to go down hill. Pretty much all of Boston was on a death spiral in those days

I know people would cry Disney, but I would love to see a facadecotomy that made ToC look like two or more discrete buildings.

Assuming, of course, we can't demo the ToC and actually build two or three discrete buildings on the lot.

Is the ToC condos or apartments?

SS Pierce was a beloved retail institution for people older than us -- its loss was not something to celebrate. (Though I think of them as having been in Copley Square and Coolidge Corner, rather than here)

I know people would cry Disney, but I would love to see a facadecotomy that made ToC look like two or more discrete buildings.

Assuming, of course, we can't demo the ToC and actually build two or three discrete buildings on the lot.

Is the ToC condos or apartments?

Both. My partner is one of the concierges/garage attendants.

Back