Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

Yes, that's the stage. This was built for small chamber music groups or maybe even solo performers -- not large orchestras and bands.

From the Herald on Boutique Residential

Boutique buildings fill Boston niche 
with distinction
By:
Paul Restuccia
....Take the Fox Residences, a 14-unit rental building that for many years housed the Strawberries record store on Washington Street downtown. Before that it was the Art Deco design headquarters of furrier I.J. Fox. An affiliate of Hub developer Core Investments is refinishing the building’s two-story black granite exterior that’s framed by a brass ziggurat. And they have uncovered and are refinishing an interior vestibule that features a fox head in relief on bronze panels, brass moldings as well as a stylish Art Deco skylight. Upstairs are 14 two- to four-bedroom units with Brazilian cherrywood floors and Silestone counters, priced from $2,650 to $5,600 a month, many with great downtown views through large windows.

“It’s unique,” said Alicia Ingalls, a principal at Bulfinch Boston Realty. “It doesn’t feel like a vanilla box or a hotel. Boutique buildings like this feel more personable.”

Broker Ralph Aucella of Keliher Real Estate, who is handling rentals for the Fox building that opens next month, said boutique buildings are popular for other reasons, too.

“They have a little more character and a little more privacy,” Aucella said. “They’re good places to be if you don’t want a concierge in your business 24 hours a day.

121113aucellaar01.jpg

Upstairs are 14 two- to four-bedroom units with Brazilian cherrywood floors and Silestone counters, priced from $2,650 to $5,600 a month, many with great downtown views through large windows.

That is surprisingly affordable.

For the location, that would be an acceptable trade off.

Palin -- with appologies to the well known if now ephemeral credit card commercial:

Two Bedroom apartment in downtown crossing with Brazilian cherrywood floors $2,650 per month

Four Bedroom apartment in the same building with with Silestone counters and great downtown views through large windows $5,600 per month

Genuine Art Decco Bronze Fox Head in the lobby --Priceless

Even the Millennium Tower can't offer that

Packing your bags Westie?

Shep -- when I win the 500M$ lottery -- I will take over the entire 14 appartments for my personal pied-à-terre in DTX

As an aside a few years ago my wife acquired an antique bronze fox head -- we have it on the wall just under the mantle piece above the fireplace

Wonder if they'll recast the bronze fox heads that had been removed from the exterior facade?

Let's go for a walk up Washington.

11620810573_1702133129_b.jpg

11620575145_f5cb27f961_b.jpg

Garden gnome?

11620560245_350c492a45_b.jpg

11621316394_51a6ab099f_b.jpg

11621314684_55b63b66c6_b.jpg

11621169613_5972ab008c_b.jpg

Liberty Travel

11621160683_926932131b_b.jpg

11620919215_b1ecb8da4a_b.jpg

11621293044_99b8b80998_b.jpg

Fox Building

11621679046_0e38865166_b.jpg

11621255864_c404fd6466_b.jpg

KZ -- nice coherent set of pictures -- the Street looked on the threshold of being positively the best I've seen it -- and its not exactly ideal outdoor weather -- more closer to being "In the Bleak Mid-Winter" to paraphrase the Holst Christmas Carol

Agreed. The shitty weather can't hide the fact that DTX is sparkling more than it has in a very long time.

Agreed. The shitty weather can't hide the fact that DTX is sparkling more than it has in a very long time.

3 to 5 years and it could begin to be remind a casual observer of the excitement and vibrancy of the DTX of the 1950's

Beside the height of the buildings -- the major difference is the potential huge impact of the colleges and the new residences -- people will be living in the DTX for the first time since the mid 1800's
800px-Goodman2.jpg

775px-Frank2.jpg

when the houses were leveled to build stone warehouses [e.g. Franklin Place -- the Tontine Crescent on Franklin St.]

Goodman4.jpg

In the heyday of DTX:

Jordan-Marsh-nativity-scene-main.jpg

12filenes-span-articlelarge.jpg

Last edited:
Love the historical pics, whighlander!

Merry Christmas from Jordan Marsh. I miss the days when you could actually say "Merry Christmas" on the street without worrying about offending someone.
BTW: Merry Christmas

...and duly edited shortly after posting, statler, humbly acknowledging the intentional "political troll-bait"

I know it's probably come up somewhere in this thread before, but what is going in behind the Liberty Travel fence, next to the Army & Navy store? Is it really only two stories tall?

I know it's probably come up somewhere in this thread before, but what is going in behind the Liberty Travel fence, next to the Army & Navy store? Is it really only two stories tall?

...Liberty Travel. Yes, it's only two stories.

Back