Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

Pack up these pedestrian playpens

Times Square, Downtown Crossing need vehicular traffic to thrive
By Sam Allis
Globe Columnist / May 31, 2009

New Yorkers woke up last Sunday to a Memorial Day surprise. Times Square, the epicenter of the known universe, was closed to vehicular traffic. For an early bird out that morning for coffee and the papers, it must have looked like Mongolia.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg closed Broadway from 47th down to 42d Street, and 35th to 33d at Herald Square, to provide unique new pedestrian space and, I don't get this part, ease midtown traffic flow. Gone suddenly was the loud, dissonant Manhattan symphony of beeps and horns and epithets hurled with uncommon artistry. Gone too was the urban aroma of exhaust and the overcrowded square's sidewalks.

Gone, in short, were the storied kinetics that define the square that defines the city.

What those of us interested parties from afar have seen through online video and photo galleries this week is a strange landscape located somewhere between emptiness and tranquility. We can see stretches of bald asphalt, and a lot of people sprawled alone in cheap lawn chairs contemplating their navels and watching the world go 'round. There are the snoozers, the laptop people, the eaters of takeout breakfasts and lunches. Singletons and couples roam the new area, testing its effect on their senses.

Most of those interviewed on video were ecstatic about the closure. Now they have a huge new city playground, and it's not just another sad piece of turf penned in by a chain-link fence. They have Times Square. This is to be the ultimate asphalt park amid the backdrop of the most famous intersection in the world. Make it and people will come.

At least some. Drivers are livid at the closure, and who can blame them? Their lives instantly went from bad to worse. Contemplate a midtown run at rush hour around the square if you're heading north or south. Vaya con Dios.

We heard interviews with some cabbies who were unamused. These were the calmer ones who issued invective-free denunciations. But we know the rest of them - truck drivers and pedicab drivers, too - must have unloaded some gloriously unprintable street poetry. All in all, I'm liking what's shaping up to be a rumble between the drivers and the mayor.

I dwell on the change at Times Square because it makes me think of Downtown Crossing here in Boston. In 1978, the city transformed the madhouse around the intersection of Washington and Summer Streets into a traffic-free zone, with a few exceptions. It was to be an urban Eden for pedestrians, people of all stripes who could catch their breath, grab a sandwich, and take in a bit of the city before lumbering off to their next appointment. It made perfect sense. It had to. It was the best thinking du jour of our urban planners.

Downtown Crossing, as we all know, has been an abject failure. The vitality of the place was sapped with the departure of cars. It suddenly lacked the density provided by auto traffic to give it spine. There have also been chronic problems with crime. Until recently, there had been a mounted police officer on his horse for years at Washington and Summer. The store mix is retrograde. The final indignity occurred last November, when construction of a huge development play in the Filene's block was halted because funding dried up.

But the larger point is that well-intentioned pedestrian playpens can and do backfire. Like politics, each one comes with its own local calculus. The bottom line is that cities need density. That's what they're all about. If you don't like density, go live in Dunstable. For traffic relief, there are parks. New York has Central Park nearby. Boston has the Common a long block away.

So I say to Mayor Tom Menino: Tommy, do the right thing. Bring back the cars. Save Downtown Crossing. We've learned the hard way that the pedestrian thing doesn't work there.

And to Bloomberg from an admirer: Mikey, don't do it. Times Square thrives off its sound and light show, not an inert herd in lawn chairs. It needs its chaos. The good news is the closure is an experiment through the end of the year and then will be evaluated. Look, I long for creative city government that tries a million ideas to see what works, but, please, let's put this thing in the rear-view mirror. The a priori assumption that a pedestrian mall will improve urban life needs a good looking at.

-- there's three more paragraphs to this piece, but they deal with that zany "Clark Rockefeller" guy so I'm leaving it out --

Link

I think they should re-open DTX to traffic, at least as an experiment. What harm could it possibly do? At this point there's really nothing left to lose. If it doesn't work out, simply re-close it.

Although, I don't know how much good anything would do to rejuvenate the area as long as it exists in it's current disastrous state.

Why the hell have Globe writers been harping on about Downtown Crossing's lack of cars as if it was a major handicap?!

Downtown Crossing's failure has nothing to do with its pedestrianization. As is, there a more than enough people going through the area to make it lively. Pedestrian spaces have worked wonderfully all over the world and it will work wonderfully here too if the city ever hits upon the right mix of uses: high end and low end retail, daytime and nighttime businesses, work and entertainment. There just isn't enough there right now to make Downtown Crossing a destination.

ya I know it never happend to you so therefore it mustn't be true.
Street crime creeps up Hill

By Jessica Fargen and Alysis Richardson
Saturday, May 30, 2009 - Updated 2d 13h ago

Beacon Hill urbanites are being beset by roving bands of high school street thugs who may be branching out from their regular Downtown Crossing haunt to steal iPhones and Sidekicks from people in the heart of the picturesque neighborhood, police say.

The threat of cell phone snatches in the brick-paved, gas-lit enclave has residents nervous and watching their backs in what is considered one of the city?s safest neighborhoods.

?When I?m walking on Cambridge Street at night I keep my eye open because it doesn?t feel safe,? said James Curry, 64, a retiree. ?I?ll definitely keep my eye out and walk really fast if I feel like I?m in danger.?

Added resident Megen Dennis, 28: ?Lately I walk with a purpose and hide my phone or iPod in my bag. I?m more aware of what?s around me.?

There have been four robberies and one larceny so far this year, down from eight robberies last year, said Police Capt. Bernard O?Rourke, who commands District A-1 and spoke at a community meeting held Thursday in response to the recent robberies.

But robberies this year are more concerning because they have been in the heart of Beacon Hill on toney streets like Mount Vernon, rather than on the fringes near Boston Common, he said. And the suspects, mostly teens, act in groups.

He urged residents to call 911 if they see suspicious groups. Police have also stepped up patrols.

He said it?s unclear if a loose-knit high school group called the Most Violent Prophet has moved from Downtown Crossing to Beacon Hill to grab the expensive, status-symbol gizmos.

City Council President Mike Ross, who used to live on Beacon Hill, advised residents to pay attention while they walk and talk.

?People, they need to be more aware of their surroundings,? Ross said. ?Oftentimes people get lost in these devices.?
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1175674

Sleazy times in Combat Zone recalled in ?Lovers, Muggers & Thieves?
By Michael Marotta, Boston Herald

?That?s where you?ll find me, along with lovers, fuggers and thieves,? the Standells sang about Boston in their 1966 classic, ?Dirty Water,? before adding, ?Aw, but they?re cool people.?

Author Jonathan Tudan got to experience the cool people - and the troublemakers - up close and personal.

In 1969, Tudan, then 18, managed a six-story flophouse on Tremont Street in what used to be known as the Combat Zone, the adult entertainment area centered on Washington Street between Boylston and Kneeland streets. The area got its name from a series of articles that ran in Boston?s Record-American newspaper in the ?60s..

Tudan, who lived and worked at the flophouse for nine months while he was a student at Wentworth Institute,revisits the area?s checkered past in his coming-of-age book, ?Lovers, Muggers & Thieves: A Boston Memoir? (Hawk Nest, $17.95).

?People have stories and tend to romanticize it,? he said last week during a nostalgic return to the Zone. ?I thought it was dirty and gritty. I never thought it was romantic.?

?Lovers, Muggers & Thieves? reads like a Hollywood story. Tudan goes back to a time when hookers, musicians, back-alley johns and seedy characters roamed dangerous downtown streets.

?This was like glitter at night,? Tudan said outside the former home of the Normandy Lounge on the corner of Washington and Avery streets, now home to the upscale Leather Days furniture store.

The Normandy was one of many clubs - Jerome?s, the Intermission, the Sugar Shack, the Four Corners Lounge - that filled the area along with strip clubs, peep shows and XXX-rated bookstores.

?It was very colorful - the outfits the girls were wearing, and the guys all looked like peacocks,? Tudan said. ?It was noisy. All the windows were open and music was coming out from the clubs. You got a charge. You got a sense you were going to have fun.?

But underneath the glitter was a grim, violent reality. From his sixth floor fire escape, Tudan watched a man get gunned down in the alley on LaGrange Street. He was nearby on the March night in 1969 when policeman Frank ?Bucky? Johnson was gunned down trying to stop a gunfight at the Tam, which is still open.

?Was it dangerous?,? Tudan said. ?I think so. You were scared. When I saw a guy get shot, and after the cop got killed, I asked myself, ?What am I doing here?? ?

Forty years after his stint renting rooms for $30 a week to hookers, boozers and other shady characters, the area bares little resemblance to Tudan?s old haunt.

The seedy underground hustle of the Combat Zone is gone, replaced by the visible bustle of Chinatown and high-rise apartments like Washington Street?s massive Archstone Boston Common luxury residences, which stands where the Downtown Lounge once held devious court.

?I felt like this was my neighborhood,? said Tudan wistfully. Now based in Los Angeles, the former flophouse keeper has moved on to working as an architect on projects including the restoration of the State House on Beacon Hill.

?You knew people,? he recalled. ?You knew girls, bartenders and musicians. As time went on it felt safer and safer. You started to get comfortable. And when you get comfortable, that?s when you get into trouble.?

- mmarotta@bostonherald.com

I plan on getting this book as I have a lot of fond memories of the old combat zone,we really should have a red light distric back in Boston!

Sam Allis doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. The new pedestrain plazas in Times Sq are nothing like DTX. They only closed off Broadway, not 7th Ave and not any of the cross streets. There is plenty of traffic but now there is less, as well as more space for people. That is the problem with DTX and many ped-only zones, they need the right mix of pedestrains and traffic to work.

L1130360.jpg

L1130362.jpg

L1130361.jpg

Sam Allis doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. The new pedestrain plazas in Times Sq are nothing like DTX. They only closed off Broadway, not 7th Ave and not any of the cross streets. There is plenty of traffic but now there is less, as well as more space for people. That is the problem with DTX and many ped-only zones, they need the right mix of pedestrains and traffic to work.

Van speaks the truth. Traffic still flows through these essential city squares but also gives pedestrians some breathing room. They're hardly "playpens", as Allis describes, but instead more like bits of urban fabric freed up for pedestrian use. They're street triangles, pieces figureground, taken back by the pedestrian. It's great feeling actually - knowing you're walking on a street intended for automotive use and yet some higher power has forced them to flow around you. It's an amazing way to re-imagine and take back our cities.

Granted there are some similarities, the primary difference is that Times Square and Herald Square have already determined themselves as destinations and DTX has yet to discover itself. I agree with Allis. Boston needs to re-open DTX to vehicular traffic so it can again be seen as the hustling and bustling center city it once was. I would assume that with all the new traffic crime would be drastically reduced, since there are less opportunities to hide and more to be seen.

On that note, I think I'll sit out in Herald Square today and enjoy my lunch :)

I've been out in DTX in the past few weeks around lunchtime, and I must say it IS quite active with people. There have been Art Fridays, where artists have booths set up along Summer St to sell their wares. Some tables and chairs were put out there as well, which were quite well used. This month, they're having Jazz in July with live music from 12-2 on Summer St on Wednesdays and at Readers Park/Borders on Fridays. The Readers Park is often quite busy even when there isn't something programmed happening there. The dead zone is really along Washington St where the stalled Filenes development is. There are no stores on one side of the street, and on the other side is the eternally-closed former Barnes and Noble. The other parts of DTX seem to be quite bustling.

Some photos from June 12 around 3 pm or so:

Art Fridays
3678302157_344ae0265b.jpg

Art Fridays
3679116568_563b9be3a1.jpg

Summer St at Washington St
3678303655_455aca7420.jpg

Readers' Park
3679119406_db4cd8a4bb.jpg

Washington St -- note the trucks that shouldn't be there
3679122196_6177e534b1.jpg

Washington St
3679123086_837dd9b967.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like the area is seasonal though. Spring and Summer are great seasons packed with tourists, sightseers and people willing to give the DTX retail experience a chance. Other than that, Downtown Crossings operates between the hours of 7am and 9pm ... and that's mostly because of people who work around the area and do errands on their breaks or stay late at work. Re-introducing automotive traffic would bring a constant energy that wouldn't leave the neighborhood feeling dull and lifeless during the off hours...

^^Great point...also, I think the lack of dining (in the immediate DTX area, I know there are plenty of vendors there in the day and surrounding area dining) contributes to this nighttime shutdown. The Hyatt, Herreras, Mantra...not really must have dining experiences. Lastly, not the best quality selection in terms of retail.

You raise a good point about dining. Even of the restaurants that are open in the evening (Marliave, Bina, Blu), the Marliave is the only one that is open in the afternoon on weekends. I think anyone coming in from the burbs to shop on a Saturday is going to want a nice place to eat, preferably with outdoor seating.

From today's Herald: Staples the latest to exit Downtown Crossing

They're closing the Winter Street store. Aren't office supplies an essential good in a downtown business district? I can't think of a competing store selling the same merchandise.

(But it looks like they're keeping their other store a few blocks away on Court Street.)

From today's Herald: Staples the latest to exit Downtown Crossing

They're closing the Winter Street store. Aren't office supplies an essential good in a downtown business district? I can't think of a competing store selling the same merchandise.

(But it looks like they're keeping their other store a few blocks away on Court Street.)

Staples aggressively over-expanded during flush times, so this is to be expected.

On the supplies: the inflated store price over on-line pricing doesn't cover the cost of operating a physical store. I think they do 2 hour delivery, so accounts will order on-line for cheaper, or else send an intern further down the street if it's really important. At least that's what I do.

CVS has even more aggressively over-expanded, and yet the Herald says they're taking over the Staples storefront. I don't understand this, given that there's already a CVS every half block in DTX. Or are they planning to close one of their other redundant stores?

CVS has even more aggressively over-expanded, and yet the Herald says they're taking over the Staples storefront. I don't understand this, given that there's already a CVS every half block in DTX. Or are they planning to close one of their other redundant stores?

Doubt it. If any, this location, due to the small size of the property, would be one of the first to close. The Chinatown and Downtown locations are three of their largest stores in the city. The only other store that could close is the one on Tremont St.

I wonder if it will be one of their MinuteClinics, because a new store makes exactly zero sense there.

Last edited:

Back