Draper Laboratory | 555 Technology Square | Kendall Square | Cambridge

Douchey question...

Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing!

They have begun spending money on ads on the T, ads on television, and doing more public outreach. I am curious if the change has contributed to people forming an awareness of Draper. I presume that prior to the recent ads, the vast majority of people would have never heard of them, despite being in the top 10 largest employers in Cambridge.

I suppose I can ask in another way - has anyone noticed Draper's PR efforts and learned anything about the company?

^ I couldn't help but wonder if there was some political undertone to your question...with regard to the fact that what they do isn't exactly millennial-ish/liberal-tech-y....yet they are wedged between health science companies and google, and thus probably few know this about them...

In other words, I thought you were trying to gauge the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing factor

(and yes I have noticed the unusually massive PR/recruiting campaign...and I used to be a hiring engineering manager in aerospace, so I can relate somewhat to the recruiting challenge in an era where every kid wants to work for google/facebook/apple/or Elon Musk. Hence why I harp all the time about trying to build a diversified, fresh, tech jobs market/scene in boston. we do lose some of the brightest.)

They have begun spending money on ads on the T, ads on television, and doing more public outreach. I am curious if the change has contributed to people forming an awareness of Draper. I presume that prior to the recent ads, the vast majority of people would have never heard of them, despite being in the top 10 largest employers in Cambridge.

I suppose I can ask in another way - has anyone noticed Draper's PR efforts and learned anything about the company?

(and yes I have noticed the unusually massive PR/recruiting campaign...and I used to be a hiring engineering manager in aerospace, so I can relate somewhat to the recruiting challenge in an era where every kid wants to work for google/facebook/apple/or Elon Musk. Hence why I harp all the time about trying to build a diversified, fresh, tech jobs market/scene in boston. we do lose some of the brightest.)

Right, those ads are targeted at potential employees, not at potential customers or the public at large. It's the same story as all the pharma and biotech ads on the Red Line. Nobody sees a full-train ad for Takeda and thinks to themself "hmm, maybe I should buy some new oncology drugs". But plenty of Red Line riders do think "hmm, I could work for them."

Draper doesn't care if "the vast majority of people" know who they are; they're just trying to get the little sliver of the population that could potentially work for them to have Draper on their minds.

And as an aside, every time I see ads like this I kind of smile to myself about how amazing and unusual Boston/Cambridge is. Ours ads don't try to foist cheap beer or fast food on people, they push six-figure jobs instead.

Back