Dyer Wharf | I-195 District | Providence

Can we stick to the convention shared by mods when posting and consolidate project info discussed over threads? I think more organized over time and offers fairness to folks presenting thoughts.

The cladding looks very promising, but the building itself is way too fat. Imagine the same cladding on 2 somewhat taller towers (either twins or staggered) with some permeability between them.

These are the type of overbearing proportions that should be discouraged.

1716443271059.png

1716443294272.png

The less fat sides, except still pretty fat from the corner:

1716443409149.png

1716443473120.png

Cladding looks pretty cool though.

1716443535649.png

Not great in the scheme of the city.....

1716443634285.png

"Well, at least it isn't tall." - Providence in a nutshell

I wouldn't hate the proportions if there was some variation in the height rather than a roofline that's basically flat all the way across. When you look at the site plans, it's actually not a hulking building. But the flat roof combined with the width and lack of height/variation makes it look more hulking than it is.

That said, I do like the cladding. It's different than a lot of what's being built. I think it's a shame that it's only one ground level retail space, but that's not surprising considering the location. I do appreciate that future phases keep the center of the block open/accessible to minimize the megablock effect.

Back