East Boston Infill and Small Developments

Which is the most baffling thing.

I guess the idea is that parking enforcers don't have to start knocking on doors to ask if that car is "allowed" to be there? I can't think of any other reason for that to be on the books.

Yes that's why. I recall a case in West Roxbury where a woman used to always park in front of her "storage" garage that had the door at the sidewalk's edge. A neighbor kept calling parking enforcement on her (out of spite I'm told) and there was nothing they could do. They couldn't dismiss the tickets because the city's rules and regulations were clear that you can never block a driveway. Most driveway blocking enforcement is complaint based anyway though, so many people, especially in the outer neighborhoods, tend to risk it.

I recall a case in West Roxbury where a woman used to always park in front of her "storage" garage that had the door at the sidewalk's edge.

This women should get a ticket for this, though. A "storage" garage shouldn't grant one private use of the curbside in front of it for parking. Otherwise people could install inoperable garage doors in their living rooms and get themselves reserved street parking spots out front.

If someone lives in a building without a driveway or garage, he or she doesn't get the benefit of exclusive use of the curbside in front of that building for parking. However, if this person's neighbor on an otherwise identical plot does have a driveway or garage, the City does grant this neighbor exclusive use of the curbside for access to that driveway or garage. This is clearly not fair, but in practice it's just kind of how things have to be... And if the garage/driveway parks more cars than could be parked at the curbside it takes up, then that's a win for overall parking capacity.

But if you have a garage and don't use it to park, then you certainly shouldn't also have an exclusive right to park in front of that garage. The City has granted you that space to access your garage, not to park in it. Using the space as your own private parking spot while using the garage for something other than parking is double-dipping. If you're gonna park on the street in front of your garage than all your neighbors should be able to park there too.

This iteration is better than what was shown last year. I hope they get the materials right - "METAL SIDING OR FIBER CEMENT" (Frankfort Building, Page 27) should specify zinc or copper cladding. I remain disappointed that the older convent buildings aren't being repurposed.

32712898008_fb9a0cac3e_b.jpg

"<-Tow Zone ->"

Back