Eastern Waterfront

I think it looks great from it's most important corner, the one where Sebago Brewing will be. The rest of the sides look like crap. It's just like Intermed, one great corner and that's it.
Where did you get the color pic of the building from? I'm on the planning board page and I only see the black and white.

^I wonder a bit about the Sebago move? I, too, like them in their current location. It has a very cool feel to it (I loathe their Scarborough location). It's also a prime spot on Middle Street. I think relocating may be good for bringing more people to the other side of Franklin, but I question the motives (on their end... I know why the developers would want them). More space? The Middle Street location is pretty roomy when you consider the outdoor seating and downstairs. I thought the Maine Mall location was roomy enough too, but they built that joke of a space in Scarborough (it really feels like the interior of a cheaply built suburban home, not a pub) so what do I know?

For the record, how is the Hampton Inn dealing with parking? Is it surface parking, underground, or garage? Sebago doesn't need the spots (they never had parking downtown before and there's always plenty of street parking over there) anyway, but I'm just curious as to where it's going to be?

Sounds good! Does anyone know if there is going to be underground parking at the site? Or is all the parking going to be above ground? I read in the links above that there could be a future 2 level parking garage at the site.

I used to go to the Sebago intown quite a bit but barely go once a year now. It's really cramped like most places down there. Think they must have a vision for how they want all their places to be from now on. I'm also guessing their kitchen space is really outdated and small. Maybe, maybe not. Anyway, it's good that something is going into the hotel space that we already know guaranteed will be successful.

When they say outdoor cafe as well, does that mean just the outdoor seating for Sebago or is it maybe a coffeehouse like I read it?

nevermind, I found the color pics at the end

Is it a separate cafe or part of Sebago?

I never thought of the kitchen space. That makes a lot of sense. I do see the other side of it. It's tough to find big space downtown so the move probably makes sense. It will also open up a prime location (current space) for (hopefully) a new restaurant.

"Is it a separate cafe or part of Sebago?"

My bad, I just meant I found the color photos on the planning board site.

The black and white drawing has a better design than the colored one. The black and white one shows a more curved entrance and I like the upper windows better. Just drove by it a few minutes ago. Looking at the Marriot, it can't be any worse than that. I don't hate the Marriot, but again....for the tenth time, it only has one good angle.

Even though I go by there once a day or so, in my mind it was further away from the old port than it actually is. Bangor Savings and Fore st is right there across the street. Going to anything on the other side of Franklin always seems like an extra mile away.

Too bad they didn't have the office building project lined up yet. I'm sure hotel guests are really going to enjoy drilling and banging all day when that starts up.

The planning board is working with the developers to improve the looks a little bit and move one of the entrances to make the building more pedestrian friendly.

I think the outside seating is just for Sebago.

My only issue with the building is that coming down into town on Franklin it won't look like much. It will only look like a nice building from Fore street, which is not how most people will drive in. But then again, that is a very automobile centric view of me to take, I know. But I can't help but think people's first view of the city will be intermed's ugly backside and then the ugly backside of the hampton. If they could round off the middle street side as well that would be better in my opinion. However, the structure will be partially blocked on the northern side anyway, by the row building that currently exists behind Jordans.

The parking will not be underground or garage. It will be 93 surface parking spaces to the east of the structure. However, I spoke with Bill Needelman and he essentially said that is earmarked for phase two. As to what phase II will be, no one knows yet because there are no plans at the moment. It could be residential, but given the market that is unlikely. It will probably be a commercial office building, he said. Two levels of structured parking would then be incorporated into any later phase of the project. As to whether or not the project will materialize (phase II) the planner said that the developers basically paid too much to just have it sit there. They are just waiting for things to improve in the market and economy in general before proposing anything.

Dominic you were called an idiot on press herald comments for your point about rushing through a good looking building. I see both sides of the argument. You wouldn't want to rush through just any old thing, normally, but this is Portland. Portland is different. Its as if projects evaporate if they aren't shown enough support in the community because developers get frustrated, think things are pointless, and forget about their proposals. Portland is odd. There have been so many major projects proposed here yet so few actually come to fruition. A main reason is because they get delayed for so long that they are no longer viable. That is a common legal tactic of opponents of projects. delay delay delay. then the project sinks. I agree with you. This may not be the greatest architectural wonder of the world, but it sure beats a meat factory that has been abandoned and vandalized. From an urban planning perspective, this thing should have gone up the day before yesterday. From an architectural perspective, it could do better. I agree with you, gritty's, lets get this thing built and we can complain about it after.

They should just copy the plans for that Portwalk project in Portsmouth. Yeah, I don't think that dude on the press herald site knew what I was saying and why I was saying it, you do. It's like going to a bar and hitting on 8's and 9's all night. If it's 12:45 and a 6 starts talking to you.....well.....

I can see the pictures now, and I have an overall positive impression. Looking forward to more details. I'll have to take some pictures of the hot dog factory before it bites the dust.

Good call Grittys. I agree.

Deep-water berth proposal welcomed

MATT WICKENHEISER

- By

Staff Writer

PORTLAND - City officials welcomed the news Wednesday that Gov. John Baldacci had proposed $8 million for a deep-water cruise ship berth for Portland Harbor in his $79 million bond package.

If approved by the Legislature and then by voters in June, the $8 million would fund a "mega-berth" at the city's Ocean Gateway Terminal. It would allow large cruise ships and other vessels to dock.

Such a deep-water pier was originally part of the Ocean Gateway project, but it wasn't built because the the project ran out of money.

The state asked for federal stimulus money to build the pier, but didn't get it.

"This is something we have been working on for some time, looking at different funding options," said City Manager Joe Gray. "This has benefits not only for the city, but also for the entire southern Maine region -- even to some extent, the entire state."

Last year, 45 cruise ships visited Portland, said Gray. This year, 75 have scheduled stops.

Large cruise ships now dock at the Maine State Pier. With a deep-water pier, the city could host two at once.

The new pier would accommodate a 1,200-foot-long ship. It would be a floating dock anchored in a section of the harbor known as the "deep hole" because it is dredged to about 80 feet.

It would be attached to the two concrete "dolphins" that once secured the floating drydock owned by Bath Iron Works, and to the 600-foot-long Ocean Gateway pier.

Cruise ship passengers disembark in Portland and visit Kennebunkport, Freeport and other areas as well as the city, said Gray. And cruise ships that visit Portland often visit other ports, such as Bar Harbor, Eastport and Rockland, he said. The new pier would allow those visits to continue.

Mayor Nicholas Mavodones Jr. said a deep-water pier could also be used by Navy ships, cargo ships and other vessels that need short-period home ports.

Many fiscal conservatives disagree with bonding to pay for infrastructure investment.

"I'm going to vote against any bond," said Steven Scharf, president of the Portland Taxpayers' Association. "I don't think any bonding should go out, period."

Gray said 96 construction jobs will be created if the pier funding passes. All pier permitting has been approved.

More ships would mean more work for members of the International Longshoremen's Association Local 861, said Jack Humeniuk, business agent for the 45-member union.

More ships also would mean more work for harbor pilots, and more business for other maritime businesses, he said.

"I think (Baldacci) saw the great market potential," said Humeniuk. "Hopefully the Legislature and the public see the same thing."

So, you want some say on next Veterans Bridge? Well, here?s your chance

ANN S

A series of meetings beginning today will let the public weigh in on details of the $63 million span that will replace the Veterans Memorial Bridge.

FOR MORE about this project, go to www.maine.gov/mdot/vmb/index.htm

The preliminary design was released last month. Input is being sought on the remaining details, including memorials to the military, landscaping around the approaches, the pedestrian-bicycle path and elements such as railings. The first meeting will be held in the South Portland City Council Chambers from 5 to 8 p.m. today.

Organizers plan to review the work done so far and distribute pictures of the bridge plan and options for elements such as lighting and concrete treatments to get the conversation under way, said Karen Gola, who will facilitate the meetings for T.Y. Lin International of Falmouth, the design firm on the project.

If there is time, the discussion of aesthetic treatments may begin.

The other meetings are scheduled for 5 to 8 p.m. March 23 and 24. The locations have not yet been determined.

The Veterans Memorial Bridge, built in 1954, will be removed after the new one is finished. The timeline calls for the new bridge to open in July 2012.

The new four-lane bridge will have five "pavilions" -- portions where the concrete swings out in small arcs. Those areas will have concrete finishes that can come in various colors or stamped patterns. Benches, lighting fixtures and memorials will also be considered.

The concrete forming the bridge will be subject to architectural treatments that create patterns and textures, said Jeff Folsom, the Maine Department of Transportation's resident engineer on the project. The rendering shows stars at the top of the piers, but that is just a suggestion, he said.

"Sometimes they can simulate packed granite, like a granite block. Sometimes they're like a fluted concrete finish, a different texture than smooth formed concrete," Folsom said.

Although the meetings are meant to deal with details of the bridge, some groups hope to influence the larger design. The organizations were on a committee that provided input before the contract was awarded to T.Y. Lin and Reed & Reed Inc. of Woolwich, the contractor.

Norm Nelson, a member of the Greater Portland Landmarks board of trustees, is disappointed that the design didn't take a more imaginative approach.

"It's just an extension of (Interstate) 295. It's an off-ramp," said Nelson, who was on the committee.

Hilary Bassett, the organization's executive director, said beautiful design can be accomplished with the same resources. "We're not trying to put an add-on here," she said.

Christine Cantwell, who represented the Portland Society of Architects, said the critical site represents a high-stakes opportunity for Portland.

"We feel this is a gateway to the city and we feel it has the opportunity to have a sculptural presence," she said.

In the future I'd like something that looks 'different' from the Hampton Inn, Marriott, and Bay House to be built in this area. The Bay House model unit is still up and site still says Fall 2011, hmmm. They must be starting construction if that is the case.

bayhouseportlandmainema.jpg

Reported on Munjoy Hill News today:

Two Story Parking Garage To Go Up on Site of former Jordan?s Meats; In 6 ? 8 Weeks

Last night, the planning board approved a proposal by Opechee Construction Corp. for a two-level parking garage on the site of the former Jordan?s Meat plant. The approval was for 208 parking spaces. The first floor of 106 parking spaces will be accessed from Fore Street. The 102 space upper parking deck is accessed through a two-lane drive on Middle Street.

As on July 13th, board members again last night expressed concern as to just how long the city would have to wait for additional development on the rest of the land. It could be several years or it could be much longer ? depending on when the economy recovers ? or it could even be a different developer.

Two area landlords, Brent Adler and John Williams, expressed their frustration with more space being dedicated to parking in the vicinity. Planning board member Michael Patterson responsded: ?The planning board does not dictate what is built. It?s up to the the developer.? Woglam said that his company is putting a lot of investment into the parking area that will not produce big income for the company.

A photo from last weekend. I already posted this in the new construction thread, forgot we had this Eastern Waterfront thread too
portlandmainesummer2010.jpg

I sometimes get the feeling that development in Portland consists of just hotels and parking lots/garages.

Yeah, that's part of phase one of phase two of the Opechee construction team's plans. They formed a new group, Fore India Middle, LLC specifically for developing this portion. The residential component will follow. Until we get better alternative transportation in place, parking garages are fine with me (assuming they are designed correctly) because it means less sprawl, less open surface lots, and often times they can effectively be wrapped in a retail or commercial component (if only the market were better...).

"State Theatre, Portland, Maine Tom, you are smart. It's a new site - the queuing lanes of the Ocean Gateway Terminal at the intersection of Commercial and Franklin streets. Right on the water. Bigger. More details coming soon cuz we love Portland and Maine.:"

"

That sounds like a great use of the queuing lanes that are vacant 99% of the time (and probably more often now since there is no car ferry there any more).

From the Eastern Waterfront recently:

april2011portlandmainep.jpg

april2011portlandmainei.jpg

april2011portlandmainef.jpg

This would be ideal....the city could use some development like this....if the economy improves, this could be a reality.....

Back