Eastern Waterfront

I believe they voted to approve the site plan extension for fifteen mos...tge city council will cast the final vote next month.

In addition to photos of the Oak Street Lofts and the Hampton Inn, I posted a snapshot of this photo in the thread for Portland "new construction" earlier today. This photo is for sale at Anna's Antiques on Congress Street, near Congress Square. It's a large framed photo that looks like it was on display at city hall or somewhere like that. It's titled "Portland Drydock Facility 1983." The asking price is $149 so I took a photo instead of buying it:

portland1983antiquephot.jpg

june2011portlandmainedr.jpg

Walk-able sidewalks! Until the winter at least.

june2011portlandmainemi.jpg

Walk-able sidewalks! Until the winter at least.

If I'm not mistaken, those will be bricked in too. Should do a lot for the neighborhood. If I were the developer, which has encountered some opposition from the surrounding neighborhood, I would wrap whatever larger project I had envisioned for phase two in building components and facades that match those across the street. What a nice looking street that would be (and it would hide the undesirable but necessary parking garage).

A quick hand sketch of what I think would look nice here. This took about an hour.

hamptonblock.jpg

Corey, I have used this photo of yours on my blog to show a comparison and discuss the issue of Form Based Codes in Portland. I think I remember you telling me at some point it was ok to use your work, as long as it wasn't purchased by someone else, but if I am mistaken and you would like me to take it down just let me know. Really. I understand this is your work and you should haqve control over it. Just send me an email or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ No problem, Patrick. That sketch looks great. I agree that matching the existing character of the buildings across the street would much improve this stretch of Middle Street.

I prefer the meat factory. Really pretty sweet Corey, nice work. The street wall is starting to form here, creating that "city" feeling or sense of place, and that is good news for this neighborhood. I really like the outdoor dining, which actually brings activity to this section in addition to just new building stock too. The area across the street is ripe for redevelopment when the market will bear it. My favorite view of this project is coming toward it from the old port on Fore, which gives a view of continuous buildings, making one think the city goes on--or could go on--for blocks in that direction. Before you could tell things stopped at Franklin when the meat factory was a big "stay away" sign. There is a lot of positive movement in Portland for a recession.

^ Agreed. The sidewalk dining area was a smart way for the developers to draw tourists from the Old Port across Franklin Street. I walk past this block frequently on my way downtown from my house on Smith Street, and now that it's almost finished I feel like the still-vacant eastern part of the block is much, much more valuable real estate. Every night, the sidewalks outside Duckfat/Ribollita are packed, Micucci's and 2 Fat Cats are right around the corner, and the new cruise ship terminal is opening up two blocks away later this summer. There's just a lot of foot traffic, and that's in spite of the fact that a lot of the neighborhood still looks bombed-out with construction going on and weedy parking lots. And there's a lot more foot traffic to come.

I know that the developers' planning board application called for building residential townhouses on Middle, but I hope they'll reconsider that plan. With these successful businesses as their neighbors, and thousands of cruise ship passengers soon to arrive, a well-designed streetscape on Middle and India could attract Old Port levels of foot traffic - and with more spacious, new-construction storefronts, I wouldn't be surprised if street-level retail here exceeded the Old Port in rental rates.

Hopefully they'll look at adding more street-level commercial space into the mix, especially along Middle and India Streets, for the next phase of construction.

"I wouldn't be surprised if street-level retail here exceeded the Old Port in rental rates."

You are never going to get the foot traffic down there for that to happen. It's never going to be even a fifth of what exchange street and that area has during the summer. I'm still waiting for something to go into the first floor of the east end parking garage. Hell, it's still a dirt floor in there.

^ I ride down Middle Street on an almost daily basis, passing this block and the top of Exchange Street both, and I disagree. During the lunch and dinner hours, there are at least as many people on this eastern stretch of Middle Street as there are on Exchange. And this is still a construction zone!

As for Exchange Street, I almost never go down there anymore, nor do most people I know. It's all turquoise jewelry and stupid t-shirts - not exactly high-end retail. The older Joe Soley who owns most of the storefronts is letting things go. On the eastern end of Middle, on the other hand, you've got Hugo's, Rabelais, Deans, Duckfat, Ribollita, Two Fat Cats, Foodworks, Micucci's, and now Sebago (and Sangillo's, which isn't a tourist destination by any means but is nonetheless a really fun place). Places worth going, in other words, no matter whether you're a tourist or a resident.

So as I said, if the developers from Opechee wanted to build a high-quality streetscape on their side of Middle and India, with modern spaces capable of attracting high-quality retailers - and with the opening of the new cruise ship terminal just down the street - I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for this block to be more lucrative for them than Exchange Street is for Joe Soley.

And if you still disagree with me, let's at least agree that we'd like them to try to make that happen.

I didn't see this Forecaster story posted here yet:

Portland City Council grants extension for downsized Bay House condos on Newbury St.

Jul 19, 2011 9:10 am

http://www.theforecaster.net/content/p-portland-city-council-072011

Highlights:

PORTLAND — Developers of the Bay House mixed-use condominium buildings planned for Newbury Street have until Sept. 22, 2012, to obtain funding for the project and begin construction.
The $30 million Bay House project, approved in 2006, initially included 176 condominiums and retail space in two construction phases on both sides of Newbury Street. The second phase of construction, on the north side of the street, has now been scrapped, leaving two buildings with a total of 82 condominiums and some first-floor retail space at 112-113 Newbury St.
The developers have also been required to put up $25,000 to guarantee sidewalks and curbs adjacent to the property are repaired, regardless of whether the project is funded.

Well the Bay House showroom on market street has a for lease sign on it. I have to believe that project is completely done by now. Think of the people that put a down payment on one in the beginning. A few of them are probably dead by now.

Also nice renovations on the building right next to the dirt lot on India street. Didn't notice it until today.

Well the Bay House showroom on market street has a for lease sign on it. I have to believe that project is completely done by now. Think of the people that put a down payment on one in the beginning. A few of them are probably dead by now.

Also nice renovations on the building right next to the dirt lot on India street. Didn't notice it until today.

Yes, the old Bill's Surf and Skate from when I was a kid. It is now the Bait and Tackle Shop. It is residential units....and has been under construction for quite a while. Should be pretty nice once completely retrofitted.

I don't know about the Bay House. They just requested a site plan extension for 15 months and were granted an extension. I think probably what happened is that they leased the space on Milk Street for a certain number of years and they probably did that when it looked like the units would be up and running by now. Probably the space doesn't justify the lease. I for one think that place should just be sold as is, as a residential unit. Think of how cool it would be to call that space home.

Anybody know exactly how big this project is supposed to be?

Portland firm chosen to lead Sussman project on Hampshire St.
By Casey Conley
Jan 06, 2012 12:00 am

Billionaire hedge-fund investor Donald Sussman has chosen a local firm to design an arts-themed project he's hoping to build in the East End.

Tom Federle, an attorney and Sussman spokesman, said Developers Collaborative was chosen ahead of several other companies, including the Minneapolis firm Artspace.

Specific details about the project have not been announced, although Federle said various ideas have been discussed, with most involving some mix of artist space, housing and retail. The project would be built in one section of the India Street neighborhood, where Sussman and an affiliated company, Hampshire Street Properties, own more than a dozen properties.

“The Hampshire Street neighborhood has a rich history and great potential for a vibrant future,” Sussman said in a statement. “I am thrilled to be teaming up with Developers Collaborative to design a use for these properties that has a positive impact for the Hampshire Street neighborhood.”

Sussman is a billionaire hedge-fund manager and the husband of U.S. Rep. Chellie Pingree, a Democrat who represents Maine’s first congressional district. The couple lives in North Haven, but Sussman also owns a home on Hampshire Street.

Sussman and Receco LLC, which share an office suite on Commercial Street, own at least seven properties on Hampshire Street, five on Newbury Street and two on Federal, according to city records.

The India Street neighborhood, which is sandwiched between Munjoy Hill and the Old Port, has a mix of health and social service providers, century-old apartment houses and a host of established restaurants and delis. Recently, a yoga studio, and men's barber shop have opened in the neighborhood, which has long been home to Coffee by Design, Rite Aid and an Angela Adams boutique.

With an abundance of vacant lots, it's also seen by some as ripe for development. An 80-unit condo project on Newbury Street has been approved by the city but remains stalled until the developer can find financing. Meanwhile, the four-story, 122-room Hampton Inn opened on Fore Street last year.

Federle predicted Sussman's project would include demolition of some existing buildings but an overall net gain in apartment units. Developers Collaborative, among other things, will help decide which buildings should be removed and what should be built in their place.

“We are going at it with the angle of trying to create space that can be useful to the creative economy,” he said, adding that live-work spaces, arts-compatible businesses and artists studios are among the ideas being kicked around.

Developers Collaborative was chosen, Federle said, based on their experience with “creatively making reuse of properties in a way that enhances the neighborhoods in which they exist.”

He added that Developers Collaborative is a “(champion) of smart-growth principles and sustainable design."

Kevin Bunker, a principal in Developers Collaborative, said the company was “thrilled” to be working with Sussman and Hampshire Street Properties.

Federle gave no time line yesterday for when a specific project might be released.

^It would be helpful if the reporter included a map with the properties highlighted since he must have looked up the properties on the city's property look up page. From a few other articles I've seen on the topic, my understanding is that this project will mainly be rehabilitating several buildings into artist space/housing/retail. I guess we will have to wait and see exactly what is being planned. Developers Collaborative does seem to have a good track record.

This has been in the pipeline for a while. The ISNA has been keeping track of the property purchases of this fella for over a year....keeps growing his portfolio, which led many to believe something was in the works. Now we know what. India Street is indeed a good place for development. The city's original downtown was there, and the view corridor to the ocean is unparalleled.

I worked with Kevin a bit when I was at GrowSmart Maine, so I'm also encouraged that DC is going to be involved in this project. Hopefully with Sussman's backing they'll be able to make a really excellent project without too much concern over what the banks will finance.

I'm also helpful that this project can coordinate with and gain some additional real estate from the Franklin Street redesign project. That effort is supposed to produce some final designs for the street later this year, and it's almost certain that it will produce some extra real estate for redevelopment, in exchange for developer contributions towards street construction.

I live a couple blocks away in East Bayside so I'm also curious to see what will happen as a neighbor.

Back