Eastern Waterfront

I worked with Kevin a bit when I was at GrowSmart Maine, so I'm also encouraged that DC is going to be involved in this project. Hopefully with Sussman's backing they'll be able to make a really excellent project without too much concern over what the banks will finance.

I'm also helpful that this project can coordinate with and gain some additional real estate from the Franklin Street redesign project. That effort is supposed to produce some final designs for the street later this year, and it's almost certain that it will produce some extra real estate for redevelopment, in exchange for developer contributions towards street construction.

I live a couple blocks away in East Bayside so I'm also curious to see what will happen as a neighbor.

I'm curious to see how many of the structures will be re-used as opposed to torn down. I know the neighborhood group expressed concerns over whatever plans might have been brewing by this property aggregation (and if I understand the consultant correctly, the issue was trying to prevent another Hampton Inn up the street). I can understand the concern for the area involved, although I still have my basic support for the Hampton at its actual location, and the marriott, too. Those projects are more appropriate where they are because of their location on main streets. Hopefully the ISNA can relax now that it seems like this project will do relatively little in terms of altering the fabric of the neighborhood.

There are plenty of cool places in that neighborhood, and when I was there grabbing my coffee this morning the place was packed, as usual. The funny thing is, it is still largely undeveloped. If it was built out as much as the Old Port, I think cneal's earlier comment about the area becoming more of an attraction than the old port might actually be close to on point. There is something trendy about India Street that is relatively new. When I was a kid I used to go to Bill's Surf and Skate on India, and the street had nowhere near as much interest as there has been lately.

Who is doing the designs for FRA's efforts along Franklin? Is it MRLD? For some reason I think I remember Mitch Rasor being involved in the preliminary ideas, but I can't recall for sure. I spoke with Markos Miller in an email when he was running for city council and he expressed interest in Portland having a form-based zoning code. I brought this idea up at a PSA meeting, and although it generated some initial interest, it seems to have lost some momentum. I think a special zone, along Franklin, might be the perfect pilot project for this approach to land regulation in an urban setting in Maine (Standish has the state's first FBC, but it is largely rural in nature, or perhaps village-ish is a better description). Anyone unfamiliar with form-based zoning should look into it as it may very well be the best way to actually secure the results in urban design that we all want.

I recently stayed in both the Hampton Inn and the Marriott Residence Inn while visiting family over the holidays. Both are very nice hotels on the inside, and it was interesting to see development slowly pushing eastward in this part of town. I still think that the exterior signage on the Hampton is tacky (both the Franklin Street vertical sign and especially the red lettering on the Middle Street side). I mentioned this to the manager on duty and she said she'd heard the same thing from several people and that she'd pass my thoughts along to the bosses.

I also think the hotel parking next to the Hampton, while well-manicured, is a bad use of space. I also discussed this with the manager (she actually seemed interested in this stuff, but maybe she was just being friendly) and she said there are plans to develop the lot but it probably won't happen for a few years.

I remember a few years back it was a big deal when the Village Cafe closed down, but that space hasn't been redeveloped yet, right? I guess it was another victim of the rampant speculation that occurred before the economic crisis.

I recently stayed in both the Hampton Inn and the Marriott Residence Inn while visiting family over the holidays. Both are very nice hotels on the inside, and it was interesting to see development slowly pushing eastward in this part of town. I still think that the exterior signage on the Hampton is tacky (both the Franklin Street vertical sign and especially the red lettering on the Middle Street side). I mentioned this to the manager on duty and she said she'd heard the same thing from several people and that she'd pass my thoughts along to the bosses.

I also think the hotel parking next to the Hampton, while well-manicured, is a bad use of space. I also discussed this with the manager (she actually seemed interested in this stuff, but maybe she was just being friendly) and she said there are plans to develop the lot but it probably won't happen for a few years.

I remember a few years back it was a big deal when the Village Cafe closed down, but that space hasn't been redeveloped yet, right? I guess it was another victim of the rampant speculation that occurred before the economic crisis.

I personally like the vertical sign. a lot. But the Hampton Inn red letters are a bit tacky. Then again, the Hampton Inn is a bit tacky (in the hotel world, it is just average is perhaps a better way to put it). The good thing is that, with this sort of trade dress, for lack of a better word, people who typically look for lower budget hotels in places like South Portland or Scarborough will now be spending their days walking around Portland instead of driving around the suburbs. This is good for surrounding businesses. Also, when the market for better uses increases, the structure--which is very urban being built up to the sidewalk with parking in the back, and of an urban height--can always be re-used.

The phase two plans are for residential and renderings/preliminary sketches have already been released (last year). I've spoken with the developers and with City planners on the phase two portion, and one said it was definite, while the other said the site cost too much to not develop. But yes, I think we all agree with you here that parking is less than ideal for that spot. At least they rebuilt the perimeter sidewalk.

Also, the creeping of development eastward is by deliberate policy choices rather than random market forces, but I too think it is interesting to watch, all the same. One last thing, the Village Cafe site is still being developed, only now as apartments convert-able to condos at a later date. The rendering and project appear to be unchanged in all other material respects. The more important site to develop, in my mind, is that formerly eyed for the watermark condos, in front of what otherwise will remain a sorely out of place parking garage. Most people who complain about that structure don't realize it was part and parcel of a much larger redevelopment scheme, which although wouldn't have changed the basic nature of the structure, would have surrounded it with other similarly sized structures (and much more attractive structures, too).

Thanks for the comments, Max. Always interesting to hear views and opinions of our city from people who don't presently live here. I echo Patrick's sentiment about the Hampton Inn's vertical signage: I like it. It's something a little different yet also a nod to the style of signs that used to be more prevalent in urban areas (maybe I'm thinking too deeply there). The fact that it's vertical and sticks out from the building is more appealing to me than the alternative of just having the Hampton Inn logo up against the flat wall. The surface parking lot is a sore spot, but it does sound like it will be developed eventually. I like how it leaves room for one or (preferably) more smaller developments. I understand that the current economics of the situation tend to favor large developments but from an urbanist perspective I would like to see more small-scale projects that fit into the existing urban fabric. I can back-up the observations of others on this forum who have noticed an increase in pedestrian activity in this part of town the last few years. It's naturally not as busy as a few blocks West, but a lot more people are wandering down to this area and it's shops and restaurants than ever before. It's an exciting time to live here and witness the transformation of this area firsthand (the same can be said for Bayside which is really not far away).

Love the vertical sign, hate the red one.

The Watermark project was one of the ones I was really bummed about when it failed. Really liked the look of it. I also liked the Westin project that went where the Hampton ended up.

^ Thanks for advocating for better urban design during your visit, Max! It's good to hear that other guests have mentioned the same points, hopefully the message gets through to the landlords.

I personally like the vertical sign. a lot. But the Hampton Inn red letters are a bit tacky. Then again, the Hampton Inn is a bit tacky (in the hotel world, it is just average is perhaps a better way to put it).

Actually this particular Hampton Inn at least is very nice. The rooms are comparable to most "4 star" hotels I've stayed in. Considering that Duckfat is across the street, I could actually live there. Not to mention the ridiculous $2 draft beers at Sebago brewing after 10pm!! I'd quickly get fat on poutine and beer.

Actually this particular Hampton Inn at least is very nice. The rooms are comparable to most "4 star" hotels I've stayed in. Considering that Duckfat is across the street, I could actually live there. Not to mention the ridiculous $2 draft beers at Sebago brewing after 10pm!! I'd quickly get fat on poutine and beer.

I meant the brand "The Hampton Inn" -- as in the chain's overall appeal -- not the actual Hampton Inn specifically located at the site in the East End. That structure at least is very urban outside and it sounds like quite nice inside. I agree the neighborhood offers some great attractions, hopefully it continues to spread development around (in a positive way at least).

Here are a couple photos of the progress on the alleyway behind the Hampton Inn. Seems like a good use of the alley. I wonder what will end up moving in down here?

january2012portlandmain.jpg

january2012portlandmain.jpg

Im assuming business not retail. Yet anyway. No foot traffic. Needs benches. Nut agree is a giod use of former basement space.

Is that where the new burger chain joint is going? The name escapes me, not smash burger or five guys....maybe elevation burger? Just a guess...

I just noticed yesterday that the Port City Glass property on India between Middle and Federal Streets has a big "for sale" sign on it, advertising it as a corner lot with B2B zoning. Seems like the owners are angling for someone to redevelop it (which is great, since it's a huge eyesore now).

Elevation Burger just opened a South Portland store on Western Avenue a short ways form the Mall.

As seen on Portland Food Map, "Blue Lobster Urban Winery" is moving in at 61 India Street, next door to Two Fat Cats Bakery and the Tackle Shop. I think it's at least partially within the building that they have been re-constructing this past year. Seems like a cool concept. There is a little presentation of the company here. Here are pictures form the presentation:

21734611.png

17997218.png

I found and shot those links over to Portland Food Map

*pats self on back*

Anyway I think that's a great freaking idea for that area and in general. Look at that all opened up in the drawing. Looks European or something.

^Nice work, Grittys. I agree it looks like a great concept. It looks like it will be too classy for me! It will add a neat ambiance to the area with the inside/outside set up. Some pictures from yesterday:

february2012portlandmai.jpg

Back side, from the lot that was going to be/maybe someday will be the Bay House:

This part of town is really booming! Crema opened today and I stopped by for some iced coffee and pictures. It's a really great space.

March+2012+Portland+Maine+Crema+Coffee+Company+Commercial+Street+1+by+Corey+Templeton.jpg

March%252B2012%252BPortland%252BMaine%252BCrema%252BCoffee%252BCompany%252BCommercial%252BStreet%252B3%252Bby%252BCorey%252BTempleton.jpg

March%252B2012%252BPortland%252BMaine%252BCrema%252BCoffee%252BCompany%252BCommercial%252BStreet%252B8%252Bby%252BCorey%252BTempleton.jpg

March%252B2012%252BPortland%252BMaine%252BCrema%252BCoffee%252BCompany%252BCommercial%252BStreet%252B4%252Bby%252BCorey%252BTempleton.jpg

Next door at Rosemont Produce
March%252B2012%252BPortland%252BMaine%252BRosemont%252BProduce%252BCompany%252BCommercial%252BStreet%252B1%252Bby%252BCorey%252BTempleton.jpg

This part of town is really booming! Crema opened today and I stopped by for some iced coffee and pictures. It's a really great space.

March+2012+Portland+Maine+Crema+Coffee+Company+Commercial+Street+1+by+Corey+Templeton.jpg

March%252B2012%252BPortland%252BMaine%252BCrema%252BCoffee%252BCompany%252BCommercial%252BStreet%252B3%252Bby%252BCorey%252BTempleton.jpg

March%252B2012%252BPortland%252BMaine%252BCrema%252BCoffee%252BCompany%252BCommercial%252BStreet%252B8%252Bby%252BCorey%252BTempleton.jpg

March%252B2012%252BPortland%252BMaine%252BCrema%252BCoffee%252BCompany%252BCommercial%252BStreet%252B4%252Bby%252BCorey%252BTempleton.jpg

Next door at Rosemont Produce
March%252B2012%252BPortland%252BMaine%252BRosemont%252BProduce%252BCompany%252BCommercial%252BStreet%252B1%252Bby%252BCorey%252BTempleton.jpg
Thanks so much for posting Corey. I went for a jog on the Eastern Prom trail today and stopped by to grab some veggies for dinner from the Rosemont and then a coffee from Crema. To say I cannot believe how much interest there has been recently in this section of town is an understatement. It is just absolutely booming. It gets better every year and, as you said, Crema is a fantastic space. They'll be serving lunch items soon, too. I wish we could afford land in this area of town as I would build a house there tonight if I could. Instead, we're by the original Rosemont, which we also shop at frequently (also a really cool place, as is Pat's Meat Market closer to Deering Center). This City is really a cool place to live.

Back