Eastern Waterfront

From Munjoy Hill news

Phase 2 of Former Jordan Meats Property to Start Construction This Summer;

April 2, 2012 in Uncategorized | No comments

By Carol McCracken (Post # 1,012)

It is expected that Phase 2 of a mixed use development on an acre of the former Jordan Meat Company will get underway sometime this summer said Mark Woglom, president of Opechee Construction Company, New Hampshire in a telephone conversation this afternoon. Woglom said the schedule calls for the completion of Phase 2 in the fall of 2013.

From Munjoy Hill news

Phase 2 of Former Jordan Meats Property to Start Construction This Summer;

April 2, 2012 in Uncategorized | No comments

By Carol McCracken (Post # 1,012)

It is expected that Phase 2 of a mixed use development on an acre of the former Jordan Meat Company will get underway sometime this summer said Mark Woglom, president of Opechee Construction Company, New Hampshire in a telephone conversation this afternoon. Woglom said the schedule calls for the completion of Phase 2 in the fall of 2013.

Let's hope they didn't waste too much money on improvements to the site and its perimeter that will now need to be removed. I think the commencement of this phase is to be in application, permitting, etc., rather than construction, because no plans have been submitted yet.

^Exciting news! I think a lot of us were not thrilled with the current surface parking lot that makes up half of the former Jordan's site but were appeased that something would be built here someday. Glad to see this is still in the works. Any new renderings floating around?

I'm sorry, Hugh Nazor might be a swell guy but I'm sick of this king of the neighborhood mentality. 95% of people in the city have a house or apartment blocking a view of something. Hell, if I smashed down five houses and cheverus high I'd have a nice view of the skyline from my house. Also the "water view" part is absurd. Go walk down to the water if you like it so much, it's two streets away. I'd love to know the amount of time daily any of them actually looks out their window to the water. 65 is not too high for that neighborhood. That used to be a great neighborhood but now it's just crap for the most part, sorry. Anything built down there will be an improvemnt, even Sussman's spaceship building

And Pat you don't have to say but did you find out the tenants for Phase II?

I'm sorry, Hugh Nazor might be a swell guy but I'm sick of this king of the neighborhood mentality. 95% of people in the city have a house or apartment blocking a view of something. Hell, if I smashed down five houses and cheverus high I'd have a nice view of the skyline from my house. Also the "water view" part is absurd. Go walk down to the water if you like it so much, it's two streets away. I'd love to know the amount of time daily any of them actually looks out their window to the water. 65 is not too high for that neighborhood. That used to be a great neighborhood but now it's just crap for the most part, sorry. Anything built down there will be an improvemnt, even Sussman's spaceship building

And Pat you don't have to say but did you find out the tenants for Phase II?

All I know is that you'll like it. I encourage you to come to the next planning board meeting and say what you think into the mic, because for better or worse, we listen to who shows up. I think it's important to get a balanced perspective. Vocal minorities can almost always carry the day, if they want to. The question is, what's the minority view here? Let's find out. Show up and speak if you have time.

Yes I'm kidding about Starbucks .

With so little parking does a grocer think they'll
Be able to make it with foot traffic?

It's rosemont market, isn't it?

Speak of the devil, there's a quarter page
Add on the back of the new forecaster for
The phase ii condos

^I'm really curious about who the grocer will be. Rosemont just opened their produce store a couple blocks away, and Micucci's is right across the street. A third grocer moving in seems it would make a crowded field of competition in the area, even with a hundred new households moving in imminently. Maybe one of the two is contemplating a relocation? Their current spaces both seem less than ideal for them. And if Micucci's moved it'd open up another prime redevelopment opportunity in the area...

Either way, living 5 short blocks away in East Bayside, I'm pretty excited about having another grocery option close at hand.

I'm not saying it's a grocer, just that I've heard its a promising retailer in the sense that people will probably like it. That's all I've heard, and I have no further details. I know Rosemont is already present in the neighborhood in two locations, so if I had to guess I would think it is not them, if it's a grocer. I really don't have any details or information whatsoever, and I'm not just keeping it confidential--I don't know the answers. I do know that anything will be good there.

I bet you guys could use a Market basket Super Market up there to even out the competition. Maybe they will put a Aldi's in Portland?

Nice! I learned from a friend today of some neat information regarding application of a form-based code in India Street, potentially the City's first.

I see there's a big sign up with a picture on the land for 40 India. Such a great project.

Corey go snap a couple updated pics where Blue Lobster winery is supposed to go. They just put in brand new doors and maybe you can see in. Ask a few questions. Get on it.

I see there's a big sign up with a picture on the land for 40 India. Such a great project.

Corey go snap a couple updated pics where Blue Lobster winery is supposed to go. They just put in brand new doors and maybe you can see in. Ask a few questions. Get on it.

I agree an awesome project. At the planning board, I said this is an “A+” “11 on a scale of 10” project. Like the directives to Corey – giddyup! CHM project on High Street is rising, and the RedFern condos on York Street are also. The Danforth on High project is soon to build, across the street from CHM, too.

^Exciting news! This project seemed like a winner from the beginning so it's nice that it's officially happening now.

Anyone know what the status is of the little empty lot on the other side of India Street, right up against the parking garage and Fore Street? I recall a building was once proposed for this lot around the time that the parking garage was finished but nothing ever came to be. I wonder who owns the property now and if they are still interested in doing something.

^Exciting news! This project seemed like a winner from the beginning so it's nice that it's officially happening now.

Anyone know what the status is of the little empty lot on the other side of India Street, right up against the parking garage and Fore Street? I recall a building was once proposed for this lot around the time that the parking garage was finished but nothing ever came to be. I wonder who owns the property now and if they are still interested in doing something.

I'm strictly guessing, but I would assume that is part of the land that initially included the Riverwalk/Watermark project (the only portion of which to get built was the garage). That land is owned by parties including Michael Liberty (Chandler's Wharf, the Middle Street towers), and Fred Forsley (Shipyard Brewing) and the ownership lawsuit is part of what made the project not feasible.

Here is an article about the Jordan's meat plant....and the approval that phase II just recved. There is mention of nine retsil units and tyey say they have tenants in line....

I wonder who the tenants are?

An artist's rendering of an $18 million development planned for the former Jordan Meats site in the Old Port.
$18 million Portland development to break ground in October
By Randy Billings
Staff Writer

PORTLAND – Opechee Construction expects to break ground this fall on an estimated $18 million mixed-use development on Fore Street, according to the company’s president.
Mark Woglom, president of the New Hampshire-based company, said he expects construction to begin in late October on the development bordered by Fore, India and Middle streets.
The project, which will add 180,000 square feet of offices, residences and first floor retail space to the Old Port, will take about 16 months to complete, he said.
The Planning Board last night voted 4-0 to approve the project, according to Barbara Barhydt, city development review manager.
The project is expected to include up to first-floor nine retail units, totaling 22,000 square feet, facing Middle and Fore Streets; 18 two- and three-bedroom condominiums on India Street; and nearly 640,000 square feet of office space.
A two-level parking garage for 115 vehicles is planned for the interior of the development.
Woglom said tenants have already committed to the project, but he would not say who or what types of businesses they were.
“I can’t say who they are until everything is all buttoned up and we have a shovel in the ground,” Woglom said.
The project, which received a $650,000 tax break to help pay for utility work, will complete the redevelopment of the former Jordan’s Meats site.
Last year, Opechee completed construction on a 122-room Hampton Inn hotel, along with 12 residential condominiums and first floor retail space, now occupied by Sebago Brewing Co.

Back