Echelon Seaport | 133-135 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Re: Seaport Parcels M1-M2 | Seaport Sq. | Seaport

It looks like there will be some nice large roof terraces here. I think the condos are going to be pretty nice.

Rendererings are incredible for this one

Rendererings are incredible for this one

The only thing I am leery of is the lighting in most of the renders. I have seen this bait and switch before, where the materials don't come out as expected. I still have high hopes here until proven otherwise.

Found a bigger version of this render. This should do a pretty good job of helping knock back the buzz cut. Also yes its missing 150 seaport, they probably did this so their render wasn't blocked by another tower. So not only is this development incredible but arguably the nicest tower in the entire Seaport in 150 Seaport is going to be directly across the street. Not bad at all.

generateImage

Now THAT is what I call ground floor retail. Not to mention this also has the court yard that cuts through the middle of the parcel with even more multi level retail and planters/outdoor seating. Going to be a major piece of the pie when this goes up. This is already a huge piece but then next door to this you get the next phase of Seaport Square with even more outdoor seating, tons of ground floor retail, a park, and an ice rink in the winter. Just wait until this time next year what the Seaport looks like, its going to be very nice.

This is a great looking development, the rendering makes it seem about 330' tall though! LOL

Yea it looks pretty tall in this one as well too. They seem to have quietly changed the facades to have much more glass than they had in the earlier proposals.

Allure.0.jpg

Earlier renders:

The shape of the towers is different and theres more glass now than there was here.

SeaportSquareM1M2FinalBCDC9-2015-16A.jpg

M1%20M2%20Seaport%20West.jpg

Seaport is definitely geared towards Kendall square type archectiture vs downtown Boston

Seaport is definitely geared towards "HOMOGENEOUS EVERYWHERE STYLE" archectiture vs downtown Boston

Fixed.

Live with it ... we live in a national/global environment and localization is a lost cause.

cca

Fixed.

Live with it ... we live in a national/global environment and localization is a lost cause.

cca

Too bad it doesn't have a Kendal Square Red line running in the core.

Fixed.

cca

disagree. Contextualism is becoming hot. Granted, around the edges. I follow newyorkyimby, which is kinda like archboston for NY. In NY you see contextualism is creeping back in. Boston is behind obvs.

I preferred the earlier renders.

I actually really like this for the Seaport.

Wow the models really cool.

Also this development has soooo much retail. Two levels and dozens of spots for all kinds of restaurants, gyms, stores, pharmacies...etc. I haven't heard of any leases being sold yet but this is going to be a shopping/dining mecca with this and seaport square phase 2 next door.

disagree. Contextualism is becoming hot. Granted, around the edges. I follow newyorkyimby, which is kinda like archboston for NY. In NY you see contextualism is creeping back in. Boston is behind obvs.

It's pseudocontextualism, pseudolocalism, pseudoeverything. The moment people start self-consciously designing something to be local/regional/contextual because they appreciate that's the way it used to be or they appreciate it on its own merits, it loses the very natural process which created the original patterns we're talking about.

Boston looks like Boston because it arose naturally that way, not because people in the 18th and 19th centuries decided it should look that way. Ditto for the fake urban villages that are springing up everywhere: you can like them, but they're not "real". It's just a more subtle Disneyland, and you're apt to ignore it it appeals to your value system and aesthetic taste.

What I'd like to see is design and settlement patterns that are uniquely present- and future-oriented, not, as almost everything is these days to some degree (and despite people having about zero idea that this is so), mired in the sentimentality of the past. But we fear the future - liberal or conservative, it's just a difference of what critically important lost value you choose to wring your hands over.

Boston or new York of new Orleans or London or Paris or Tokyo all had their own style.
They had to in most cases due to being separated from each other. Artisans and architects (one and the same once upon a time) traveled and copied and borrowed from one another, but not that often. Traveling was expensive, time consuming, and got in the way of designing. So local styles atose and we're replicated in the same areas.

Now, the design world is global. There are site like this one everywhere, and new designs are available in seconds versus months or years.

It's not a sinister watering down or move away from localized design. Design is globalized because everyone can see other designs globally. Including the clients who ask for certain things. Often those things are represented in an existing design or finished product. Whether next door or 10k miles away. The 10k miles away often is seen as attractive and desirable to that client who thinks it makes him seem more worldly or something, when that's not the case at all.

That is true but I would say that Dubai has its own style-which is ugly, but the extremely tall precast towers with some kind of ridiculous top, london goes more for having all kinds of different shapes, and new york still likes hulking office towers-usually boxy, and pencil thin extremely tall residentials as of late. Boston as we know likes slanted crowns-which I like as well and boxes to a lesser height than NYC. Chicago has borad shoulders but has tons of towers with balconies for some reason-like Miami, and Toronto loves anything blue glass. Architecture has become globalized but towers like Tower Verre, 30 park, and Hudson Yards are still very NY and you can definitely point out a Dubai tower-Im not up on the names anymore as I gave up on Dubai and I think its going to fail or be unimportant when they stop building and the novelty wears off. China is the new king in town when it comes to Supertalls and they have real, livable, old, and important cities whereas Dubai was cool for a bit but its really an office park on an unsustainable pace.

The globalization of architecture isn't altogether new though it has been happening for hundreds of years. For example there are many example of French Second Empire architecture in the Back Bay is a French Victorian era style that was popular around the entire world. While the Second Empire style in Boston is in brick with carved stone details and trim instead of entirely in stone because of what was available for buildings locally but the style is still the same.

Boston Example:
backbay-1033x690.jpg

Paris Example:
20160704146%2BFR%2BParis%2BEmpire%2Bera%2Bbuilding.jpg

Just trying to make the point that this isn't a totally new thing it has been happening forever. It is more apparent than ever and architecture is less localized than ever before, but it isn't a totally new phenomenon.

Washington DC is another great example.

Back